Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

Hybrid View

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    Gross. Even Kurt Browning criticized the PCS score, and those commentators haven't said anything negative about the scoring all week.
    Quote Originally Posted by kresslia View Post
    Kurt Browning is pissed over Yuna's loss.

I noticed the few comments above in the Women's Free Skate thread specific to CBC's coverage whereby the commentators finally spoke out and DIRECTLY criticized the judging at the conclusion of the Women's event.

This definitely stood out for me too; as up to this point there had been NO DIRECT criticism of the Olympic judging by the CBC's "at-venue" commentators. Although, Kurt did come very close a few times during the dance event (...and you could tell he was biting his tongue to hold back the criticism!). But, that all changed when the results for Sotnikova (and especially her PCS scores) were posted! Placing Sotnikova ahead of Costner & especially Yuna was apparently the "straw that broke the camel's back" for Kurt. It took a few extra minutes, but eventually Carol joined in to declare she did NOT agree at all with how the event was judged either.

Although I only watched snippets of NBC's coverage, I did NOT hear any DIRECT criticism of the judging on their NETWORK coverage. Can someone verify if this was the case (for the NBC NETWORK coverage)? If there was judging criticism leveled, for whom was it for (e.g. for which event, or for which competitors, or for which country)?

What about the BBC? I believe I read a few posts about Robin Cousins expressing dismay at some of the judging? Can anyone give us the BBC angle on the commentators expressed views regarding the Sochi Olympic judging?

Cheers, Steve

Custom Title
    Johnny said after the SP that Adelina was scored "generously" and today something to the same effect after her FS, but no direct criticism. Both Tara and Johnny did indiacte that they enjoyed Mao's and Carolina's performances the most.

Tara and Johnny may be reluctant to offer any direct criticism becuse they seem to be on a mission to gain new fans for the sport, and suggesting that the scoring was unjustified would certainly not help their cause.

I found a few posts discussing various commentators views on judging:

BBC (Robin Cousins):

Quote Originally Posted by Venee View Post
    I watched on the BBC feed. I'm a fan of Robin Cousins, but he said something that irritated me. He mentioned Yuna got the Silver because she didn't compete all year and couldn't keep up or some other such nonsense. I agree that not competing did hurt her, not because she couldn't keep up (she's miles ahead of the others frankly as a complete skater) but because she skated so early that they really didn't give her the type of scores she would have received had she skated later. Mao should have been placed first in the long with Yuna second toss up between Adelina and Carolina for 3rd. I'm not sure how that would have panned out overall.

CBC (Kurt Browning & Carol Lane):

Quote Originally Posted by Flaya View Post
    Here, in Canada the losers on CBC (Browning and that British woman) started to ***** about how Sotnikova is behind in her footsteps and artistry. Those are the same people that defend Chan and think he's a God.

Artistry my ***, she was the best!

German Network (Katarina Witt):

Quote Originally Posted by anotherday View Post
    You should have seen Katharina Witt's outrage on German TV. I hope many others will speak up and forcing a change in the system. I think 2002 was nothing in comparison to today's and yesterday's 'competition'.

Rinkside
    Italian commentators (I don't know who the men are, but the lady is italian skater Silvia Fontana) were absolutely pissed off, and not about Carolina's score but about Yuna's. When she ended her program they were ecstatic and were predicting a 150+ score, but when they saw it they couldn't believe it. After the two male commentators tried to understand the reason of the score but Fontana was absolutely firm on her criticizing it, she was really upset.
    EDIT: now that I think about it they were openly speaking of biased judging at least on the PCS, saying that Julia's PCS was opening the door to inflating Adelina's had she gone clear; they said it after Julia's score and again after Adelina's

Custom Title
    Here are Gwendal Peizerat's thoughts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnaqszGbCFI

He was not pleased.

Custom Title
    The CBC commentators where pretty much literally speechless when Kim's score came up. Browning mentioned he'd need to watch Adelina's program again to try to understand her score.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Srin Odessa View Post
    Here are Gwendal Peizerat's thoughts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnaqszGbCFI

He was not pleased.
    Gwendal is not really criticizing the final result either, but he's saying what most people are probably thinking: the margin by which Adelina won is too big. I'm personally fine with her winning, but her PCS should have been a few points lower in both the SP and the FS.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sowcow View Post
    [COLOR=#ffffff].[
    BBC (Robin Cousins):
    I watched BBC coverage and Robin Cousins immediately after Kim finished stated that "she's done enough" for a win. Later when the replays started he retratced that saying that now that I see those landings I am not so sure. The scores came up and while he was surprised, it was not because he disagreed with the result but more of a shock that judges dared to put her in the second place. Though he left the Adelina gashing to Sue Barker, who was the main cheerleader of the night. No controversy screams from British.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    I watched BBC coverage and Robin Cousins immediately after Kim finished stated that "she's done enough" for a win. Later when the replays started he retratced that saying that now that I see those landings I am not so sure. The scores came up and while he was surprised, it was not because he disagreed with the result but more of a shock that judges dared to put her in the second place. Though he left the Adelina gashing to Sue Barker, who was the main cheerleader of the night. No controversy screams from British.
    I bet he started backtracking when he saw the TES scores. Tara was definitely on top of that at least 30 seconds before the final score came out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cptnhastings View Post
    I bet he started backtracking when he saw the TES scores. Tara was definitely on top of that at least 30 seconds before the final score came out.
    LOL, I am sure that's what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by sowcow View Post
    I found a few posts discussing various commentators views on judging:

BBC (Robin Cousins):

CBC (Kurt Browning & Carol Lane):

German Network (Katarina Witt):

I watched the BBC stream and it was Sue Barker who said whether Yuna not competing this season hurt her scores. She also asked something to the effect if Yuna should have had a higher tech content, to which Cousins answered that she could not have done more and that is how Yuna skates. This was the reaction after the score was displayed. Meanwhile, during Yuna's skate, Cousins said "It's gotta be gold," as soon as she finishes her final double axle, and thereafter just mumbled incoherently, visibly shocked by what he saw (and this before the scores appeared on screen). Later on a separate BBC interview, he apparently described the circumstances, saying he called Gold for Kim, then he was stunned by the cold reception by the crowds, and when he looked toward the CBC staff, also at the rink side, he saw a similarly stunned reaction from Kurt Browning, and saw or heard Katarina Witt shrieking (I don't know whether he saw it on a TV screen or in person).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by verysmuchso View Post
    Meanwhile, during Yuna's skate, Cousins said "It's gotta be gold," as soon as she finishes her final double axle, and thereafter just mumbled incoherently, visibly shocked by what he saw (and this before the scores appeared on screen).
    But after he saw the replay of the Jumps before the score came out, he said...oh I'm not sure about her winning anymore (or sth very close to that).

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    Johnny said after the SP that Adelina was scored "generously" and today something to the same effect after her FS, but no direct criticism. Both Tara and Johnny did indiacte that they enjoyed Mao's and Carolina's performances the most.

Tara and Johnny may be reluctant to offer any direct criticism becuse they seem to be on a mission to gain new fans for the sport, and suggesting that the scoring was unjustified would certainly not help their cause.
    Plus, I feel like they're working towards hosting the Primetime coverage next Olympics. They can't be too controversial yet.
    I will be interested to see what is said on Primetime coverage. However, if I had to guess, they'll keep it predictably kosher...

Banned

Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir-Some thoughts

I feel that the ladies free skate showed that Ms. Lipinski, while fun to listen to at times, was VERY insecure about her own win in Nagano which is why she felt it necessary to repeat ad nauseum why Adelina won. Apparently having "heart" and grabbing the moment (despite the fact that, well, it ain't hard to do when you're on home court in a totally corrupt, biased arena) means you should win the gold medal. Let's face it. Tara was kiddie skater who happened to be a powerful jumper once upon a time. Looking back on that Nagano gold medal free skate, all I can think is "wow, she was a great jumper for such an itty bitty, immature kid." Nothing in her free program was interesting except the 3L-3L combination. Her choreography was corny, she looked like a little dwarf/elf thing and the music was, um, pedestrian.

Anyway, I just found it obnoxious how blatant she was in her support for Adelina bc, well, she knows Adelina's absurd gold medal "win" looks a lot like her own (except perhaps Tara deserved her gold medal a bit more since she didn't step out of any of her jumps in an ugly, ridiculous way). Tara, honey, please shove it.

As for Johnny, I find it perplexing how in love with Russian culture he is when it's pretty obvious most Russians would rather stone him to death than embrace him for his supposed "artistry."

Anyway, rant off. They were a fun pair to listen to, but they were also irrational, biased and completely ridiculous commentators for many of the events (ice dance included).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wootie View Post
    I feel that the ladies free skate showed that Ms. Lipinski, while fun to listen to at times, was VERY insecure about her own win in Nagano which is why she felt it necessary to repeat ad nauseum why Adelina won. Apparently having "heart" and grabbing the moment (despite the fact that, well, it ain't hard to do when you're on home court in a totally corrupt, biased arena) means you should win the gold medal. Let's face it. Tara was kiddie skater who happened to be a powerful jumper once upon a time. Looking back on that Nagano gold medal free skate, all I can think is "wow, she was a great jumper for such an itty bitty, immature kid." Nothing in her free program was interesting except the 3L-3L combination. Her choreography was corny, she looked like a little dwarf/elf thing and the music was, um, pedestrian.

Anyway, I just found it obnoxious how blatant she was in her support for Adelina bc, well, she knows Adelina's absurd gold medal "win" looks a lot like her own (except perhaps Tara deserved her gold medal a bit more since she didn't step out of any of her jumps in an ugly, ridiculous way). Tara, honey, please shove it.

As for Johnny, I find it perplexing how in love with Russian culture he is when it's pretty obvious most Russians would rather stone him to death than embrace him for his supposed "artistry."

Anyway, rant off. They were a fun pair to listen to, but they were also irrational, biased and completely ridiculous commentators for many of the events (ice dance included).
    We already have thread on this

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...BC-CBC-BBC-etc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast