Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
You really can't please everyone. Many people are currently peeved by Scott's and Sandra's lack of criticism of Adelina's scores. in 2002, a huge number of people were incensed at the reaction of these same two commentators, Scott and Sandra, because they expressed anger at Berezhnaya's and Sikharulidze's pairs OGM. I mean, people criticized Scott and Sandra for years for their perceived partisanship in that issue.

Well it is pretty simple. The fact they made a bigger deal of a much less wrong decision (2002) which happened to involve a North Americna skater and personal pet of theirs who Scott badly wanted to headline his SOI show proves what hypocrites they are, in addition to horrendous commentators who should have been fired many years ago.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I honestly can't stand Scotfs commentary. Not because I think it is biased but because of how he shrieks every time someone jumps. Also he talks way too much... I'm trying to get into the music and them it's like "here it comes... She's been struggling all practice with it... triple Flip!!! Saved the landing"

Not to mention the always "great speed going into" "he/she never misses that in practice." Says that for everyone, rinse and repeat. Sasha Cohen was crawling into her triple lutz combo at the 2010 Nationals and again Scott pipes "GREAT speed going into this triple lutz." He is the Tim Dagget of figure skating who has similar hyperbolic cliches- "unbelievable" (even when someone does something or misses something they missed 100 times already, "UUUUUUNNNNNREAL", "Whaa....ttt, stammers".

caelum

On the Ice
Not to mention the always "great speed going into" "he/she never misses that in practice." Says that for everyone, rinse and repeat. Sasha Cohen was crawling into her triple lutz combo at the 2010 Nationals and again Scott pipes "GREAT speed going into this triple lutz." He is the Tim Dagget of figure skating who has similar hyperbolic cliches- "unbelievable" (even when someone does something or misses something they missed 100 times already, "UUUUUUNNNNNREAL", "Whaa....ttt, stammers".

My most favorite recent "Scott Hamilton is too excited" moment was during Jason Brown's LP as US Nationals on his second 3A. Scott claims he "owns it now," when it was obviously under-rotated and slightly two-footed. He's had worse moments, but why it's a recent favorite is because even Sandra had to gently chime in "a little two-foot on that" to temper his ridiculousness.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
What's this crap about Adelina having difficult jump entries? Aside from the first 3Flip, none of her jumps have more than just a single basic turn directly preceding them (if even that).

usethis2

Medalist
What's this crap about Adelina having difficult jump entries? Aside from the first 3Flip, none of her jumps have more than just a single basic turn directly preceding them (if even that).

I has been the concerted effort by some strange alliance of mobs. Difficult jump entry, "athleticism" (lol), seizing the moment,.. ugh. Adelina "the Favorite" Sotnikova's skating indeed had a new direction: to nowhere.

And here is the real gem:

Q. Can you explain her free program to us? I get Carmen, but I don't quite understand her Rondo Capriccioso.

A. She is showing people torn between classical and modern dance. All our roots are in classical, but the soul is splitting in two, one half is gravitating to classical, while the other is engrossed in the new way of moving. She's showing how these two different directions combine in one person, how people try to work them out and finally it becomes clear that happiness comes in may ways...the new life joins the old one.

I get that Tarasova is both 1) obligated and 2) deluded to compliment Adelina "the Favorite" Sotnikova, but that "interpretation" of her program is so far removed from the actual reality that it makes it as if Tarasova is living in an alternate universe. Most people (sans a few, I don't deny their existence :biggrin:) saw an overly excited cow girl who could not contain herself upon being cheered by a mob.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Well there's nothing wrong with that interpretation of the program; the choreography definitely supports those ideas. The problem is that the idea doesn't fully sustain itself, in part because the "new way of moving" that's alluded to is just random transitions, which don't fit a greater whole, and also because Sotnikova doesn't finish off all of the movements.

Ven

Match Penalty
She received almost a world record score, surely her free skate was a masterpiece and you guys just don't know what you are talking about!

wootie

Match Penalty
Tatiana Tarasova is smoking something...

http://www.sovsport....ext-item/687629

I imagine that Tarasova had a gun pointed at her head when she made those absurd comments. The fact is that everyone knows Adelina's long program was ugly, juvenile, "complicated" merely because of the jumps and entirely void of meaning or creativity. She basically skated in a circle into and out of her jumps. That was the whole program (minus the break midway through her program in which she did some ridiculous nonsense gestures that meant nothing and were present only to convey some notion of "artistry").

Anyway, Tarasova and her fat behind should concentrate on packaging her skaters appropriately instead of attacking beautiful programs from Yuna and Carolina. Maybe one day her Russian ladies will actually deserve their accolades instead of having them bought and paid for behind the scenes.

sk8in

Match Penalty
That description of her interpretation sounds like she made it up on the spot. I'm pretty sure Sotnikova had no idea what she was conveying. She approached all her elements purely as 'tricks.'

bebevia

On the Ice

Nah. Tarasova's usually pro-Russian, and tends to advocate herself and her students. Her past comments have never been fair, and consistent that way. When she decides to praise someone totally unrelated or rivals her clique, that's when she's really impressed. Can you imagine her talking Plush above Yagudin? She's just being a woman-next-door. That's being her, nothing conspiring. BTW, she had broke her rule a few times and hinted her respect for Yuna.

jehan215

On the Ice
"Even Kim's dress was a throwback. I know the judges don't score outfits but it's just a little thing that says a lot, regardless. The costumes have changed, too! In her short program, I didn't care for her interpretation of music one bit, but she received high component scores that assess how well her movements related to the music - well, there was none!"

1) A throwback?! She needs to get her eyes checked. Seriously.

2) "I didn't care for her interpretation"? Wow, I can't even... (speechless)

3) There weren't any movements related to the music? - Well at least it's better than flailing arms around meaninglessly. If I recall correctly, Yuna was even called a 'Prima Ballerina on Ice' compared to Sotnikova as a 'grandmother doing a cha-cha slide at a family reunion'.

A good coach should recognize his/her students' talents to help them achieve. A better coach would admit to the flaws and appreciate the talents of other competitors. Given her comments on Yuna, I think she'd rather be pro-Russian than be a well-respected coach with objective views. Oh well, whatever floats her boat :p

Meoima

Match Penalty
A good coach should recognize his/her students' talents to help them achieve. A better coach would admit to the flaws and appreciate the talents of other competitors. Given her comments on Yuna, I think she'd rather be pro-Russian than be a well-respected coach with objective views. Oh well, whatever floats her boat :p
I am not a fan of Tarasova but... well, technically her students have achieved more medals at Olympics than any other coaches. She is a legend, I have to show her some respect. And I don't think her taste is bad either. It's just she's not everyone, she certainly has a taste. I respect her for that. Not that I agree with her, though.

att

Rinkside

I can't believe it! This women can strop so low.I mean does it even necessary to talked about Yuna outfit. I get it Adelina won, CONGRATULATION!. Does she even think before she speak. A lot of fan will get angry because of this stupid comments. Is she trying adding fuel into a fire. I can't! I can't! I'm not Korean I came from Malaysia a country that never experience winter..And I never ice skate my entire 21 years of life.Neither do I care about winter games. But I've been watching FS since 2007 and had been following Yuna since then. But what happen at Sochi it's just plain wrong. And now this women trying to fool people around the world by saying crap about Yuna. I've been takin it easy by sayin Adelina had a bright future ahead of her, but now I don't know. She's been surrounding by such corrupt people and all they care is the Gold medal. This is ********!

ahy

Final Flight
Why say about yuna's costume?! seriously... Why can't you just say something like "I'm glad that Adelina tried her best and delivered her skate of a lifetime, I will be supporting her, I hope she can continue deliver good performances again and prove to others she deserved that gold medal, I appreciate Yuna as well, she is a fierce competitor." rather than saying "Yuna's costume is blahblahblah..." I mean, if you don't know how to respect your competitors, then don't say anything about it...such a shame...

jehan215

On the Ice
I am not a fan of Tarasova but... well, technically her students have achieved more medals at Olympics than any other coaches. She is a legend, I have to show her some respect. And I don't think her taste is bad either. It's just she's not everyone, she certainly has a taste. I respect her for that. Not that I agree with her, though.

Yes, but what I'm saying is that she shouldn't be tearing down opponents. It's just a shame she had to criticize Yuna in order to defend the criticisms/controversy surrouding Adelina. Not a good image to be projecting as a coach.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, but what I'm saying is that she shouldn't be tearing down opponents. It's just a shame she had to criticize Yuna in order to defend the criticisms/controversy surrounding Adelina. Not a good image to be projecting as a coach.

I agree. Whatever happened to showing respect for your competitors?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yes, but what I'm saying is that she shouldn't be tearing down opponents. It's just a shame she had to criticize Yuna in order to defend the criticisms/controversy surrouding Adelina. Not a good image to be projecting as a coach.

well, she's old, and despite her genius as a coach and a choreographer, she has flaws, of course. I don't agree with her, but i have to acknowledge she is one of the greatest ever. I agree that she shouldn't say that, but baring her history and personality, I am not surprised.