Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

yuki90

On the Ice
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au...igure-skating-gold-medal-controversy/?cs=3329

Not one person in skating I've talked to said that's the way (the result) should have gone,” former US Olympic figure skating coach Audrey Weisiger told USA Today.

The judging pool for the free skating program was slightly different to the one that had awarded Kim top points in the short program the night before.One addition was Ukranian Yuri Balkov.In her book The Second Mark: Courage, Corruption and the Battle for Olympic Gold, author Joy Goodwin wrote that hours before the finals of the 1998 Olympic ice dancing competition in Nagano, Canadian judge Jean Senft tape-recorded a phone call made to her hotel room by Balkov.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I agree, Ashley is the last person who should complain about the result. The top ladies all brought their "A" game and it showed, and I include Gracie in that group as well. It can be argued also that Ashley was over scored considering she two footed her flip combo in every program of the event. Mediocre at best, never a serious contender for the podium. Sorry Ashley, sometimes the truth hurts.

Amer

Final Flight
Country
Italy
You will see. Next month Sotnikova will win the Worlds and then will come her dominance for years. I was always persuaded she is more talented than Lipnitskaya.

I certainly hope you're right. That would help take the sting off the Olympics experience.

Venee

Rinkside
Ven: If you indeed said what pangtongfan said you did about Tara's commentating, I call "false"! I watched every minute of the NBCSN broadcast with Tara and Johnny, and she never said anything of the kind about Yuna! That is just so wrong to spread a false rumor like that!
She said this in the interview with Bob Costas in the Late night Olympic wrap up.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
I agree, Ashley is the last person who should complain about the result. The top ladies all brought their "A" game and it showed, and I include Gracie in that group as well. It can be argued also that Ashley was over scored considering she two footed her flip combo in every program of the event. Mediocre at best, never a serious contender for the podium. Sorry Ashley, sometimes the truth hurts.

She must be pissed because she ended up behind Mao after the freeskate. She must have been giddy after she saw Gracie's score and thought she could score as good as her.

BusyMom

Medalist
Meanwhile, during Yuna's skate, Cousins said "It's gotta be gold," as soon as she finishes her final double axle, and thereafter just mumbled incoherently, visibly shocked by what he saw (and this before the scores appeared on screen).
But after he saw the replay of the Jumps before the score came out, he said...oh I'm not sure about her winning anymore (or sth very close to that).

MalloryArcher

On the Ice
had Yuna skated with fire like in Vancouver, she would have won it, her consistency cannot be questioned
but as you said, she looked tired and also tentative
I blame her Long Program choice, coupled with her only 6 triples, judges made the easy mark
to give higher GOE to ones doing 7 triples or more

I think she shouldn't have scored as high as she did in Vancouver, but she still should have won. Her superior GOEs and obviously her PCS should have made up for the one less triple. The commentators I listened to where convinced this would be the result until they saw Yuna's scores. Adelina's PCS should have been maybe 6th of the night, her choreography in particular was much less polished and developed than the Americans, let alone Carolina.

Also, if judges can deduct marks for fugly costumes they should. Those gloves, girl no. :frown:

qwertyskates

Medalist
The worst thing in the sport is to lose the respect of your peers. That is where Sotnikova now is. No past champion or fellow skater respects her victory, or perhaps ever her period at this point.

Why do you keep attacking her? It is through no fault of Sotnikova that the judges deemed hers the best skate of the night.:disapp:

MalloryArcher

On the Ice
Why do you keep attacking her? It is through no fault of Sotnikova that the judges deemed hers the best skate of the night.:disapp:

It is Adelina's fault she skated that program though. She has to take responsibility for her own choices and mistakes, no matter where the judges place her!

b-man

Final Flight
Nagasu got a huge PCS boost in Vancover too. in the final group with a great skate. The difference is she didn't have the technical goods to challenge.

Wrong on both counts. Nagasu edged Rochette in total Technical score, SP+FS, by about 1/2 a point. She lost to Rochette in PCS by about 12 points.