Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

verysmuchso

On the Ice
She has always been a hawkish person. I remember how, several seasons ago, before Vancouver, Yuna who was getting ready to take the ice, got caught on camera cracking up and turning to Orser with a smothered laugh. Yuna later explained that this was because she saw Tarasova give her the evil eye after histrionically celebrating Mao's performance, as if it would psych her out.

AnneC

Rinkside
OH MY.... I can only justify her harsh comments by saying she must be getting senile :/
Well, what she says is in exactly the same line as the judging. Many people have said that they could have lived with the result if Sotnikova had won over Yuna by 0,1 points or something like that, but that 5 points difference is just absurd and clearly shows that there was a prejudice right from the start. Same with Tarasova´s remarks, imo. Had she given credit to Yuna´s achievements (not the least of which: delivering flawlessly under immense pressure and in spite of an unfriendly audience,Tarasova did not even mention) but finished with saying that somehow she still felt that even if Kim was great, for her Sotnikova was just a bit greater on that day, she might have retained some credibility. But the way she uses everything in order to put down Kim (even the most ridiculous details like her dress :rolleye:) and raise Sotnikova above all others, shows that the result is predetermined just like the result of the judging was.

Besides, it is just silly to say that L´Équipe has no right to comment because a French judge was once caught cheating. That´s hardly the fault of L´Équipe, after all.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She's probably still angry about the criticism of Mao's programs in 2010 and the big margin by which Yuna won over Mao in Vancouver. There seems to be little doubt that the Russians set their sites directly on Yuna at Sochi. And it worked.

I actually loved Adelina's dress, but YuNa's dress is very elegant and beautiful as well. There's nothing retro to criticize in it, obviously, but that's just spite talking on Tarasova's part. The idea that YuNa's program was somehow substandard is ludicrous, and in any case I wouldn't go to Tarasova for an unbiased expert opinion.

Madama Tarasaova, whom I otherwise admire for her achievements, might pause for a moment to realize that if YuNa was so bad, then it wasn't any special achievement for Adelina to beat her. Anyone could have, right? It's always unwise to make one's rival look too unqualified.

ahy

Final Flight
Come on... i don't think Adelina's dress looked perfect as well. I thought both of the dress Yuna wore were so speical and elegant that not many people will wear... Tarasaova, can't you just respect other competitors?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Madama Tarasaova, whom I otherwise admire for her achievements, might pause for a moment to realize that if YuNa was so bad, then it wasn't any special achievement for Adelina to beat her. Anyone could have, right? It's always unwise to make one's rival look too unqualified.

I suspect her response was an overreaction to the frustration of the whole situation, specifically that anyone who held a subjective belief that Adelina should (or even could) have won is part of some giant conspiracy. She does make some good points about Yuna and Carolina doing far more crossovers and easier entrances into the jumps as compared to Adelina, but I think choice of costume is too subjective to be a valid point of criticism. Yuna's outfits were not at all garish, and I actually really liked her SP costume.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At least Adelina wasn't wearing the negligee that appeared to have nothing underneath it that she wore earlier in the season.

ILuvYuna

On the Ice
and easier entrances into the jumps as compared to Adelina

Rly? I dunno... I kind of thought Yuna and Caro's entrance into the triple lutz was a little more difficult than Adelina's (if you know what I mean :laugh:)

I did like Adelina's costume, tho - just not for her music selection (I would take the bronze net-thing away and replace with angled, flowy layers).

leafygreens

Final Flight
Tatiana Tarasova is smoking something...

"All other spins were just checking the boxes."

Wait, I thought it was Adelina who "checked the boxes" and that's how she won?

Also, what does a dress have to do with anything? The dresses are not scored, and it's not like Adelina had this historically epic dress herself.

Random thought: People with black or very dark hair, like YuNa and Tessa Virtue, tend to look stunning in black, and this costume of YuNa's was no exception. (I felt the same way about Tessa's short dance costume and Illynkh's free dance swan costume.) I don't think that YuNa's dress suffers by comparison with Adelina's LP dress, as gorgeous as I think that combination of smoky gray and copper was.

ks777

Record Breaker
I actually loved Adelina's dress, but YuNa's dress is very elegant and beautiful as well. There's nothing retro to criticize in it, obviously, but that's just spite talking on Tarasova's part. The idea that YuNa's program was somehow substandard is ludicrous, and in any case I wouldn't go to Tarasova for an unbiased expert opinion.

I am sorry but Adelina's dress is.. very odd and ugly. when I saw her dress I thought she was going to skate to Macklemore's thriftshop. Also, Mao's dress was hiddious. I wonder who picked Mao's dress.. I bet it was Tarasova.

JayW

Final Flight
Random thought: People with black or very dark hair, like YuNa and Tessa Virtue, tend to look stunning in black, and this costume of YuNa's was no exception. (I felt the same way about Tessa's short dance costume and Illynkh's free dance swan costume.) I don't think that YuNa's dress suffers by comparison with Adelina's LP dress, as gorgeous as I think that combination of smoky gray and copper was.

Yes, Tessa looks stunning in black, so does Kim, especially with bright red lip color and smoking eyes!

shellbell757

Rinkside
I watched the recap/analysis on NBC with Sandra, Scott and Tracie and the only one who said anything about the judging was Sandra. Tracie and Scott were talking about how Adelina just racked up the points on her technical score and then mentioned that some people were questioning her PCS, which is where Sandra jumped in and said something like "that's where I have some questions since I'm looking at things as a choreographer".

Tara and Johnny seem to agree with the placements. They were talking to Bob Costas about the results stressing Adelina's technical difficulty, and said that she "won the night" with her "excitement" and "energy of the crowd" behind her.

leafygreens

Final Flight
I watched the recap/analysis on NBC with Sandra, Scott and Tracie and the only one who said anything about the judging was Sandra. Tracie and Scott were talking about how Adelina just racked up the points on her technical score and then mentioned that some people were questioning her PCS, which is where Sandra jumped in and said something like "that's where I have some questions since I'm looking at things as a choreographer".

Tara and Johnny seem to agree with the placements. They were talking to Bob Costas about the results stressing Adelina's technical difficulty, and said that she "won the night" with her "excitement" and "energy of the crowd" behind her.

Ridiculous.

Ven

Match Penalty

Kidding? Sotnikova's LP dress looked like a garbage bag draped over her. SP dress was nice.

jehan215

On the Ice

So following their logic, in order to win you just have to make the crowd excited, that's all? Hmm I guess then skaters should just all choose fun, exciting music rather than challenge themselves with something like Yuna did (Adios Nonino is a sad tango by Piazzolla dedicated to his late father). Right.

P.S. The crowd was Russian, they'll cheer Adelina in any case

CarneAsada

Medalist
Kidding? Sotnikova's LP dress looked like a garbage bag draped over her. SP dress was nice.
Where can I get garbage bags in that color? The only ones I see are black or white, and they definitely don't come with copper ties. :laugh: