Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

starrynight

On the Ice
had Yuna skated with fire like in Vancouver, she would have won it, her consistency cannot be questioned
but as you said, she looked tired and also tentative
I blame her Long Program choice, coupled with her only 6 triples, judges made the easy mark
to give higher GOE to ones doing 7 triples or more

Yuna in Sochi competed with the mix in the Iceberg Skating Palace of 2014. Sochi Yuna does not and need not to compete with Vancouver Yuna. Sot stepped out and two footed "ONE TRIPLE COMBO" out of her seven triples and in effect no point boost from that ONE TRIPLE COMBO. What is the point of the triple numbers in the paper while she failed and blew away one?

bekalc

Record Breaker
Wake up, please! Yuna in Sochi competed with the mix in the Iceberg Skating Palace of 2014. Sochi Yuna does not and need not to compete with Vancouver Yuna. Sot stepped out and two footed "ONE TRIPLE" out of her seven triples and in effect no point boost from that ONE TRIPLE. What is the point of the triple numbers in the paper while she failed and blew away one and landed six only, just like Yuna?

She two footed a double loop. She landed her triple flip-beautifully. If she hadn't too footed that jump, she'd have a new WR.

JYSkate

Rinkside
had Yuna skated with fire like in Vancouver, she would have won it, her consistency cannot be questioned
I blame her Long Program choice, coupled with her only 6 triples, judges made the easy mark

I don't think it's Yuna's score that's the problem, it's Adelina's score. Although it would have been amazing to see Yuna break another world record before she left the ice, I don't think her performance deserved 150 unlike other fans may think. Adelina's lp was definitely overscored with the massive amounts of GOE and PCS, but it was a technically (not artistically) more difficult lp than Yuna's. Still, even her short program scored just as much as Yuna with a less difficult program. She managed to earn incredible amounts of GOE from the judges which is why she won. There is no question that she won Gold because she was skating in Russia.

NineTails

Rinkside
Yuna in Sochi competed with the mix in the Iceberg Skating Palace of 2014. Sochi Yuna does not and need not to compete with Vancouver Yuna. Sot stepped out and two footed "ONE TRIPLE" out of her seven triples and in effect no point boost from that ONE TRIPLE. What is the point of the triple numbers in the paper while she failed and blew away one?

Exactly. The focus is in the judging. Especially the 2 judges (we know so far) who probably had ulterior motives. Just look at the scores Judge 7 & 2 gave out to Adelina in comparison to other skaters. I'll gladly post those scores again if the Adelina supporters want to defend those scores. I would love to see someone try. That would be a blast.

vegarin

On the Ice
I don't think it's Yuna's score that's the problem, it's Adelina's score. Although it would have been amazing to see Yuna break another world record before she left the ice, I don't think her performance deserved 150 unlike other fans may think. Adelina's lp was definitely overscored with the massive amounts of GOE and PCS, but it was a technically (not artistically) more difficult lp than Yuna's. Still, even her short program scored just as much as Yuna with a less difficult program. She managed to earn incredible amounts of GOE from the judges which is why she won. There is no question that she won Gold because she was skating in Russia.

Yeah, I didn't think Yuna would break ~150, but after watching Adelina getting ~149, I thought they would have to prop up Yuna to justify that score, though that would've been unfair to Caro.

JYSkate

Rinkside
Yeah, I didn't think Yuna would break ~150, but after watching Adelina getting ~149, I thought they would have to prop up Yuna to justify that score, though that would've been unfair to Caro.

I had the same thoughts as you did.

yuki90

On the Ice
Agreed.

shayna_m

Spectator

hmm, you are just proving that Yuna's competing against Yuna in 2010, not against Adelina.
So let me ask you, did Adelina perform close enough to Yuna in Vancouver to get the score near Yuna's Vancouver score? No. Even admitting the season difference, you can see the level-difference. And the experts of the figure skating all around the world are saying that Yuna's performance was beyond Adelina's.
Why does Yuna have to be the bestest to win the gold?
Can she JUST be better than other skaters to win the gold? I don't see the point. Just that Adelina improved so much, it doesn't mean that she should get the improvement bonus. What a joke.
The fact is, Yuna was robbed for sure. And this olympics will be long-remembered as an awful scandal period.

shayna_m

Spectator
No. This Olympics will be rembebered for beautiful performances by Sotnikova, Kim Yuna, Kostner and Lipnitskaya (Team event). That´s all.

I forgot that. That's right of course. But can't ignore the burst out of the anonymous judging problems in this olympics also.
Wagner said it too. link here
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/onl...e-skating-judging-tops-one-million-signatures

It should be changed for the better.

However, as you said, their performances will be remembered. This surely is the renaissance of the Ladies' figure skating, and the beautiful end of Yuna and Mao's era. I'll miss them very much.

Amer

Final Flight
Country
Italy
I do feel bad for Adelina for all of this controversy. Yes she's enjoying her gold medal but at a cost.
I would hate for her to go down in history as the most controversial women's gold medalist.
This is just so sad to see. However I do agree that the judges should no longer be anonymous.
It would be wonderful to bring back the 6.0 system where you actually see the judge's nationality.

....to be honest I'm kinda glad Tuktamysheva (one of my favorite skaters) didn't make the team and avoided all this drama.

Antilopa

On the Ice
Wagner is sore loser. She stole Mirai's spot and what? 3 mediocore perfomances. Now she's crying about the judgment.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
I do feel bad for Adelina for all of this controversy. Yes she's enjoying her gold medal but at a cost.
I would hate for her to go down in history as the most controversial women's gold medalist.
This is just so sad to see. However I do agree that the judges should no longer be anonymous.
It would be wonderful to bring back the 6.0 system where you actually see the judge's nationality.
You will see. Next month Sotnikova will win the Worlds and then will come her dominance for years. I was always persuaded she is more talented than Lipnitskaya.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
I found a few posts discussing various commentators views on judging:

BBC (Robin Cousins):

CBC (Kurt Browning & Carol Lane):

German Network (Katarina Witt):

I watched the BBC stream and it was Sue Barker who said whether Yuna not competing this season hurt her scores. She also asked something to the effect if Yuna should have had a higher tech content, to which Cousins answered that she could not have done more and that is how Yuna skates. This was the reaction after the score was displayed. Meanwhile, during Yuna's skate, Cousins said "It's gotta be gold," as soon as she finishes her final double axle, and thereafter just mumbled incoherently, visibly shocked by what he saw (and this before the scores appeared on screen). Later on a separate BBC interview, he apparently described the circumstances, saying he called Gold for Kim, then he was stunned by the cold reception by the crowds, and when he looked toward the CBC staff, also at the rink side, he saw a similarly stunned reaction from Kurt Browning, and saw or heard Katarina Witt shrieking (I don't know whether he saw it on a TV screen or in person).

seniorita

Record Breaker
Why Wagner singles out Lipnitskaya and doesnt mind she was behind her teamate Gold who also had a fall and 68 + pcs in Lp?