Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

Nadya

On the Ice
I just think the whole "denied" something thing is cliche anyway. There are a variety of ways to say someone was beat.

That said, it would actually be reasonable to write the headline "Yu-Na Kim denied a second gold medal" because she was the only ones among the competitors to have one gold medal and to be gunning for OGM No. 2.
Then it would be equally legitimate to say that 20+ other competitors were denied a first gold medal.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Then it would be equally legitimate to say that 20+ other competitors were denied a first gold medal.

Didn't say it wasn't, but the newsworthy part is whether Yuna would get a second OGM, as it would have been the first since Katarina Witt.

I think it is a question of who is doing the denying. In the headline, "Yuna Kim denied second gold medal," I think the implied denier is Fate. It just didn't work out in her favor.

I do think there are situations where you might say that the first place finisher denied the second place finisher the crown. If the contest was expected to be a showdown between those two with no one else in serious contention. Or in the case where the up-and-coming challenger has all the momentum from the regular season going into the championship round -- but no! the grizzled champion digs deep and denies her.

I don't think we would say that the first place guy (or the guy who finished 7th) denied the victory to the guy who finished 18th.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think it is a question of who is doing the denying. In the headline, "Yuna Kim denied second gold medal," I think the implied denier is Fate. It just didn't work out in her favor.

I do think there are situations where you might say that the first place finisher denied the second place finisher the crown. If the contest was expected to be a showdown between those two with no one else in serious contention. Or in the case where the up-and-coming challenger has all the momentum from the regular season going into the championship round -- but no! the grizzled champion digs deep and denies her.

I don't think we would say that the first place guy (or the guy who finished 7th) denied the victory to the guy who finished 18th.

Ah, nuanced discussions about writing. :love: You sure know how to go after a writer's heart.

bebevia

On the Ice
"Michael Phelps Denied of Gold"

"Usain Bolt Denied of Gold"

It's simply a sensational topic to have Yuna not win the gold. Gawd.
Of course, this "denied" could've been a suggestive diction, and is used more as a tragic nuance, but whatever. No wrong with using it.

capcomeback

On the Ice
Not true. Adelina has been getting very high PCS for a few years now, particularly when she skates well. She has had the best PCS by a good margin of all the up-and-comers, including Gracie and Julia. Only Ashley and Akiko, along with Y-C-M, have gotten better PCS consistently.

Over the course of the season, her PCS had been systematically inflated to a position that by the Olympics,it finally surpassed everybody but Yuna.This is why people are angry. People can accept that Adelina is a more gifted technical skater than Carolina, but virtually NOBODY thinks that she's a better skater than Carolina. The improvement in Adelina's skating/PCS has mostly been on paper (not ice). A high PCS was the only way to insure (please note I did not say "ensure") Adelina's chances at the podium. When Mao stumbled badly (quite literally and figuratively) and the newest darling Julia did too, if there were a corrupt group on the panel, they knew they could jack Adelina's PCS high enough to win. This would have meant going back to "Plan A", which meant Adelina winning (with Julia becoming "Plan B" when she did better at the Europeans).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
People can accept that Adelina is a more gifted technical skater than Carolina, but virtually NOBODY thinks that she's a better skater than Carolina.

I think your focus is too much on the skater and not the performance, which is in fact what the judges are evaluating. Caro had the highest PCS in the SP and Yuna the highest in the LP. Was Yuna all of a sudden better in a day? Of course not, it was due probably to (mostly) skate order but also what the skaters put out there; Caro's LP had very few transitions in the second half and that was reflected in her marks. As a fan watching I still far preferred Caro's SP and LP to the other medalists but she generally has the longest jumps set-ups of the top 3 (aside from her gorgeous 3Lo).

Nadya

On the Ice
"Michael Phelps Denied of Gold"

"Usain Bolt Denied of Gold"

It's simply a sensational topic to have Yuna not win the gold. Gawd.
Of course, this "denied" could've been a suggestive diction, and is used more as a tragic nuance, but whatever. No wrong with using it.
It isn't sensational. Kim wasn't a decisive favorite going into these Games.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It isn't sensational. Kim wasn't a decisive favorite going into these Games.

That's a good point. A lot of times we have seen skaters' scores build through the season, like Yuna and 2010 and Miki in 2011. Yuna didn't give herself that opportunity this year by sitting out the GP, whereas Mao, Adelina, and Julia built momentum through several events. She didn't have the aura of invincibility this time. I even think Caro could have scored better in Sochi had she had a better overall season.

bara1968

On the Ice
But Yuna was a definite favorite, more so than any other ladies coming into Olympics, as a overwhelming world champion and a reigning Olympic champion. She was by FAR the biggest name in the sports. Every single media, even including IOC, covered her story, trying to win back to back OGM after Witt.

And while I agree with Mao building her momentum into Olympics and Julia moreso, i disagree with Sot being one of those. No one in this forum could see her as serious OGM threat AT ALL. She never even won any of her GPs, and only 5th in the most important event before the Olympics, GPF. Her being consistent and winning a medal itself was big surprise.

Nadya

On the Ice
But Yuna was a definite favorite, more so than any other ladies coming into Olympics, as a overwhelming world champion and a reigning Olympic champion. She was by FAR the biggest name in the sports. Every single media, even including IOC, covered her story, trying to win back to back OGM after Witt.

And while I agree with Mao building her momentum into Olympics and Julia moreso, i disagree with Sot being one of those. No one in this forum could see her as serious OGM threat AT ALL. She never even won any of her GPs, and only 5th in the most important event before the Olympics, GPF. Her being consistent and winning a medal itself was big surprise.
Kim was definitely one of the favorites but absolutely not a decisive favorite. She was one of a very strong field. There was no momentum, no saber-rattling.

sk8in

Match Penalty
I think the pecking order after Kim was 2. Mao 3. Julia 4. Carolina. After that it was more of a mixed bag with Gracie Gold, Akiko Suzuki, and Sotnikova being in the mix for a potential bronze.

capcomeback

On the Ice
Kim was definitely one of the favorites but absolutely not a decisive favorite. She was one of a very strong field. There was no momentum, no saber-rattling.

Yuna was the favorite, but certainly not the prohibitive favorite. Still, Adelina was a dark horse at best. I don't think anybody could have conceived a scenario where an imperfect FS by Adelina could beat clean skates by Yuna and Carolina. It took some good things that Adelina did, a lot of questionable judging and some serious errors on the tech panel to make it happen.

Nadya

On the Ice
Yuna was the favorite, but certainly not the prohibitive favorite. Still, Adelina was a dark horse at best. I don't think anybody could have conceived a scenario where an imperfect FS by Adelina could beat clean skates by Yuna and Carolina. It took some good things that Adelina did, a lot of questionable judging and some serious errors on the tech panel to make it happen.

I agree that Adelina was a dark horse going into the Games.

capcomeback

On the Ice
I agree that Adelina was a dark horse going into the Games.

Definitely, but Adelina did skate well (better than most thought she would be capable of doing -and that is to her credit) and I don't think anybody should state differently. The problem is that there is a huge difference between skating well and being scored the way she was scored. That is the whole crux of this argument.

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
nbc is the official olympic broadcasting corporation over the US and they were the only one who had their own cameras into the olympic other than russians. I am pretty sure they might have been pressured not to argue about scandals in sochi, but to rather explain and justify the results to the viewer. Moreover, on the talk with gold, wagner, and polina, they seem to be pressured by nbc people not to disagree with the result.(just my feelings tho) Additionally, did you guys follow gala on nbc olympic channel? They had an advertisement one gala after another. It was very annoying and interesting. The order of gala was also very suspicious. They didn't show Adelina Sotnikova's performance after Yuna's performance, rather they showed Sotnikova's performance like 2 hours later at like 12am. What do you guys think about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ugucCI1T4U

I think gold was being little sarcastic on her speech, lol. It clearly seems like nbc pressured them and the fact that they are still active figure skaters. and I think gold's score was inflated also. unlike wagner, gold didn't get a deduction on her mistakes.(look at wagner's face when gold is speaking ) I am sure the discussion was set before the recording. And I heard that the facilities were terrible at Sochi, but why are they praising??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuQbkuUVtTI

I just want to smack scott's face so hard. wow his argument is so much freaking persuasive. What a huge difference of base value between sotnikova and yuna right? just 1.44. and adelina really deserved level 4 step sequence for both short and free right? I think Bezic truly thinks Yuna was better. All other commentators laugh when Bezic praises Yuna LOL. Without discussing wrong usage of edge, under-rotation, step sequence in depth, interpretation, choreography, they are just justifying the result to the viewers. Why don't they mention Asada Mao who had more triples than Sotnikova but had lower scores on free skating??? I am really disappointed at cowardness from nbc. :(