Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc | Page 40 | Golden Skate

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

Alba

Record Breaker
Also, "they've put her in the worst position, the last to skate"? WHO put her into this position? She drew a number. Just like everybody else.

"It's not a counting exercise." Uh, Sylvia, that's exactly what it is. Sorry lady, 6.0 has been retired since you competed.

"Make Adelina perform a tango"? Huh? Must everyone do what everyone else does?.

That was really stupid indeed, and Fontana was a total disappointment for me. She was mean since from the beginning, but she was hitting hard on Yulia at first. She was also a hyprocrite because when I send the question, via twitter it was the FD competition, about the IJS and the judges can manipulate with the GOE and PCS, she said on tv no the new system is very good and had pushed this sport forward and made it better.
When Yuna didn't won she started screaming and speaking about GoE's and how the judges manipulates them. :laugh:

Seeing as an equal number of people believe Carolina should have been first, I would have been pissed at the commentators if I was Italian for not backing their girl

I was tbh., but at least Ambesi (the guy who was trying to explain the result) was open about preferring Yuna, always.
Despite that he was the most cool-headed among them.

Alba

Record Breaker

Well, I must say the article on yahoo is weak and very poor.
Although I do agree about Cinquanta because it's time to leave and is already too late, the one on yahoo is full of strong accusations without a shred of evidence, and personal opinion. Fair enough, it's under "Opinion and Editorial", I think, but basically another lament writting again and again, without any substance.
He also doesn't seems to know that there are other sports based on two segments, because he never mentioned it in order to make a point of of why Cinquanta is saying bollocks, among other things. He also thinks there is nothing wrong with the COP system, which I strongly disagree.

I fully agree with what Button has to say. It's not new, but it's the real issue that should be addressed and solved ASAP!

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
nbc is the official olympic broadcasting corporation over the US and they were the only one who had their own cameras into the olympic other than russians. I am pretty sure they might have been pressured not to argue about scandals in sochi, but to rather explain and justify the results to the viewer. Moreover, on the talk with gold, wagner, and polina, they seem to be pressured by nbc people not to disagree with the result.(just my feelings tho) Additionally, did you guys follow gala on nbc olympic channel? They had an advertisement one gala after another. It was very annoying and interesting. The order of gala was also very suspicious. They didn't show Adelina Sotnikova's performance after Yuna's performance, rather they showed Sotnikova's performance like 2 hours later at like 12am. What do you guys think about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ugucCI1T4U

I think gold was being little sarcastic on her speech, lol. It clearly seems like nbc pressured them and the fact that they are still active figure skaters. and I think gold's score was inflated also. unlike wagner, gold didn't get a deduction on her mistakes.(look at wagner's face when gold is speaking ) I am sure the discussion was set before the recording. And I heard that the facilities were terrible at Sochi, but why are they praising??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuQbkuUVtTI

I just want to smack scott's face so hard. wow his argument is so much freaking persuasive. What a huge difference of base value between sotnikova and yuna right? just 1.44. and adelina really deserved level 4 step sequence for both short and free right? I think Bezic truly thinks Yuna was better. All other commentators laugh when Bezic praises Yuna LOL. Without discussing wrong usage of edge, under-rotation, step sequence in depth, interpretation, choreography, they are just justifying the result to the viewers. Why don't they mention Asada Mao who had more triples than Sotnikova but had lower scores on free skating??? I am really disappointed at cowardness from nbc. :(

I heard that the facilities for the journalists were not so great but the facilities and rooms for the athletes were fine.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Dick makes some good points. COP quantifies things that are silly to quantify, like transitions. I don't think any of the judges sit there and count the transitions and also try to quantify the quality of each, but rather I feel they score it based on their impressions. The whole PCS criteria should be thrown out and the judges should just give the program a mark from 0 to 80 for artistry.

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice

Ven

Match Penalty
I just watched Yuna's Les Mis again today, and Scott Hamilton had this to say at the end of her skate:

"She's really distanced herself technically ... I don't see anyone catching her (at the Olympics)."

11 months later he said the same technical content was not high enough, even though Kim and Sotnikova were attempting the same number of triples as the previous year.
(of course, he never pointed out that Sotnikova failed to complete her mythical extra triple)

Add to this his hypocrisy re: Evan and Plushenko, how he said Plushenko was only a jumper and Evan had a better program in 2010, but in 2014 Sotnikova should win because of her jumps even though Yuna had the better program.

It's becoming clear these days to many viewers that Scott Hamilton has no opinion himself, or at least fails to offer it for public consumption. He merely goes whichever way the ISU wind blows, the very definition of a little man.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I just watched Yuna's Les Mis again today, and Scott Hamilton had this to say at the end of her skate:

"She's really distanced herself technically ... I don't see anyone catching her (at the Olympics)."

11 months later he said the same technical content was not high enough, even though Kim and Sotnikova were attempting the same number of triples as the previous year.

Well, I think he meant that the other ladies aren't able to skate cleanly enough to catch her. Her BV at Worlds last year wasn't all that high, but she made up for it with GOE, PCS and mistakes from her close competitors. Caro skating two clean programs, and Adelina skating a program with a 3Z/3T, 2A/3T with just one small stumble are things no one even dreamed of even a week before Sochi, much less a year ago.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Add to this his hypocrisy re: Evan and Plushenko, how he said Plushenko was only a jumper and Evan had a better program in 2010, but in 2014 Sotnikova should win because of her jumps even though Yuna had the better program.

Before Sochi, Adelina got the 4th best PCS of anyone this season (at Euros, an event not in Russia). In Sochi, she got the 3rd highest PCS in the short and 2nd highest in the long (and might have gotten 4th/3rd if Mao skated well). So her PCS placement is about where you would expect given she got the 4th highest PCS in the World this season coming into the event.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Scott Hamilton has been a horrible commentator for over a decade now, he is biased and makes no attempt to disguise his bias. He is not a judge, thank God.

Before Sochi, Adelina got the 4th best PCS of anyone this season (at Euros, an event not in Russia). In Sochi, she got the 3rd highest PCS in the short and 2nd highest in the long (and might have gotten 4th/3rd if Mao skated well). So her PCS placement is about where you would expect given she got the 4th highest PCS in the World this season coming into the event.

Her PCS was already inflated at Euros.

whatif

Medalist
Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

Her PCS was already inflated at Euros.

According to whom?

Also how dare anyone say anything about the beloved saint Yuna without consulting her crazy fans!! Burn the witch.

AC96

Rinkside

Euros is an event that is notorious for its scoring inflation; it's generally recognized as inflation almost on par with Nationals, so it's not quite fair to bring it up as a reference. Worlds, 4CC, and the GP series are generally more reliable (obviously with certain exceptions, like Asada winning over Suzuki at 2012 NHK or Murakami's 130+ LP this year).

And just to remind you, Mao did indeed skate well in the LP, but as we've already discussed ad nauseum, was lowballed there too.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Euros is an event that is notorious for its scoring inflation; it's generally recognized as inflation almost on par with Nationals, so it's not quite fair to bring it up as a reference.

You do realize it is biased to dismiss Euros scores just because you think it's inflated. It is an international event that counts towards season's best scores and international rank, so it is absolutely a valid data point.

AC96

Rinkside
You do realize it is biased to dismiss Euros scores just because you think it's inflated. It is an international event that counts towards season's best scores and international rank, so it is absolutely a valid data point.

I love how you're pretending as if I'm the only person in the figure skating world that acknowledges Euros is inflated. Do you want examples of how the scores tend to be much higher at Euros in particular than at most other competitions? Like how earlier this year, Yulia received the third highest score in ladies free skating history (139 and change), just behind Yuna's 2010 Olympic and 2013 World performances, for a skate that was for all intents and purposes comparable with what she has produced her entire career? How she skated about 5 clean free skates in this season alone, and yet this competition jumped a miraculous 8 points higher than an equally clean skate at Skate Canada, and it was only here that her scores began reaching stratospheric heights? How in 2013, Kostner received 130+ for a 4 triple LP and Tuktameysheva earned a personal best by a whopping 10 points?

Obviously I am summarizing for the sake of brevity. I haven't taken into account the fact that their skates might truly have been significantly better than anything else they've produced (but even this is not true), and of course there are other incidents of skaters shattering personal bests (Yuna from 133 to 150).
But let's look at it logically: the vast majority of contenders in ladies figure skating are from Asia, with occasional factors from the USA and Canada. Euros for most years has only had Carolina and 1 or 2 Russian wonders (who are an extremely recent development); every other skater competing is third tier at best. It's not hard for a judge at Euros to judge a skater like Joshi Helgesson and immediately watch Kostner afterward, and allow her score to skyrocket simply by virtue of comparing the two. Similarly, judges notice skaters regularly winning competitions at Worlds, 4CC, and GPF with typically high scores; it's not much of a stretch to say that some mental mechanism in the judges says, "It looks like a winning program typically scores in the high 120s or low 130s," and adjust scores upward to what they imagine the score is supposed to be, even when the skater doesn't deserve it (a la Kostner 2013).