Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

usethis2

Medalist
And this is including the fact that Yu-na got Lvl 3's on her step sequences for both the SP and LP.
While Adelina is the only skater who got the lvl 4 in SP. And after the picture became clearer, all top 4 FS skaters got lvl 4 on their steps except for Yuna.

So transparent.

NineTails

Rinkside
It isn't just one judge either. Not as bad but judge 7 but look at the scores for judge2:

GOE:

PCS:

Pretty much same amount of over score as Judge7. These two judges probably underscored Caro and Yuna too. Two over scores for Adelina and two underscores for its closest rivals add up BIG time.

This only looks at 2 judges (Russian and the previous Cheater) that probably had ulterior motives. There could have been more corrupt judges also that were just not blatantly as obvious as these two

YagsFan

On the Ice
Peach: As I just explained in an edit of mine that you asked about, I was replying to pangtongfan, who had written a couple of posts wishing unhappiness on Adelina. As soon as my post appeared, I could no longer find his, so it all became confusing. My apologies.

Ven

Match Penalty
Ven: If you indeed said what pangtongfan said you did about Tara's commentating, I call "false"! I watched every minute of the NBCSN broadcast with Tara and Johnny, and she never said anything of the kind about Yuna! That is just so wrong to spread a false rumor like that!

She said it on late night coverage with Bob Costas....at midnight broadcast.

Add:
I'm very passionate about this, but I will not lie and make up stuff. Please.

Peach

Rinkside
Peach: As I just explained in an edit of mine that you asked about, I was replying to pangtongfan, who had written a couple of posts wishing unhappiness on Adelina. As soon as my post appeared, I could no longer find his, so it all became confusing. My apologies.

Oh ok I was just confused that's all!

JYSkate

Rinkside
THE POINT IS: Shame on the Russian Federation & Judges. Shame on the Russian crowds/audience who did not support the athletes on the ice aside from the ones from their own country (they suddenly started chanting for Russia even while Yuna Kim was waiting for her marks after a few people chanted 'Kim-yu-na", absolutely disgusting and no respect!). I hope the Olympics are never held in Russia again until they wipe their judging panel clean. Congratulations toward Adelina for her wonderful skates, and congratulations to Yuna for her class behavior and sportsmanship. Congratulations to Carolina for Italy's first olympic medal. Congratulations to Mao for an amazing free skate. Congratulations to Gracie for an incredible free skate as well (aside from the 3flip, her performance was flawlessly beautiful every jump textbook perfect). Congratulations to Yulia on winning Gold for the team event.

SHAME ON THE 2014 WINTER OLYMPIC GAME IN SOCHI.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I know everybody is talking about Yuna vs Adelina but I rewatched last night on our tv, with them three tied in the sp, I would give the pcs marks to Kostner above all three in the Lp, and I dont know why the "she was robbed" goes only to Yuna, because she skated last? Kostner had a complete program, she put on a show, thats the one I ll rewatch.

vegarin

On the Ice
I know everybody is talking about Yuna vs Adelina but I rewatched last night on our tv, with them three tied in the sp, I would give the pcs marks to Kostner above all three in the Lp, and I dont know why the "she was robbed" goes only to Yuna, because she skated last? Kostner had a complete program, she put on a show, thats the one I ll rewatch.

Yuna's one that is picked up a bit more by media because she was the reigning Olympic champion and her scores were closer to Adelina, but I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't think Caro was underscored exactly the same way. Her PCS was also ridiculously low comparably. She could've definitely have more than a chance to defeat Yuna in a fair fight, especially Caro actually skates clean.

No matter. We won't ever find out.

YagsFan

On the Ice
She said it on late night coverage with Bob Costas....at midnight broadcast.

Add:
I'm very passionate about this, but I will not lie and make up stuff. Please.

OK, Ven, if so, then I apologize for what I said of you. I didn't catch the late night show, as I was busy watching the NBC primetime coverage that I had recorded while I watched my earlier recorded NBCSN coverage, lol! I will try to find a link to the interview you saw so that I can hear it for myself and judge the context. I find it quite perplexing that Tara would say such, as both she and Johnny were fairly gushing over Yuna earlier (although they did both indicate agreement with the results at the end). But not questioning your quoting this time.

Ven

Match Penalty
OK, Ven, if so, then I apologize for what I said of you. I didn't catch the late night show, as I was busy watching the NBC primetime coverage that I had recorded while I watched my earlier recorded NBCSN coverage, lol! I will try to find a link to the interview you saw so that I can hear it for myself and judge the context. I find it quite perplexing that Tara would say such, as both she and Johnny were fairly gushing over Yuna earlier (although they did both indicate agreement with the results at the end). But not questioning your quoting this time.

No problem. And it was actually 1.a.m I think, not midnight. Sorry about that.

It made me very angry, because that was the amazing thing about Yuna's performance. All of the Russians booing her and hoping she failed. The rigged judging was obvious. She had to be perfect, any mistake on a jump and it was over...and each and every time she landed the jumps clean. It was the single most courageous skate I've ever seen. And then Tara said "she didn't have any guts out there" or "she didn't bring any guts tonight"...it was along those lines.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think too for the whole Yuna vs Sotnikova, Kostner's amazing FS is disregarded.
I found Sotinokova's score outrageous, and all the pcs inflating too, including Lipnitskaya and Gold from TEam fs, mostly because skaters like Mao have spent hours of hours training to get pcs score close to 70s. And for me last night pcs wise Mao was the top.
By the way the wife of Pisseev, apart from being his wife she has been judging since long ago and she belongs in ice dance technical committee.
I m expecting a russian judge to get carried away, what the rest were doing is my question...

Last edited:

magicalwords

On the Ice
mostly because skaters like Mao have spent hours of hours training to get pcs score close to 70s.

This. For many of the older, veteran skaters, we've seen them working hard on those skills and progressing over several years; we've seen their improvements and we can (relatively easily) accept without questioning why they are getting those high PCS. But skaters who've had their PCS suddenly increase by 8-12 points, we don't get. What progress did they make in 2 months to equal the skills of veterans? The emotional delivery of the likes of Mao, Yuna, and Caro?

Not that this is surprising, but it doesn't mean it should be accepted either.

treeloving

Medalist

+1 Yes, Caro is so underrated.

yuki90

On the Ice
YuNa
3Lz+3T 10.10
3F 5.30
2A 3.63 x

3Lz+3T 10.10
3F 5.30
3S+2T 5.50
3Lz 6.60 
2A+2T+2Lo 7.04 
3S 4.62 x
2A 3.63 x 
Total 61.84

Sotnikova
3T+3T 8.20 
3F 5.30
2A 3.63 x

3Lz+3T 10.10 (Wrong edge. should get -GOE -1~-2 but Judges gave +GOE.)
3F 5.30
3Lo 5.10 
2A+3T 8.14 x
3F+2T+2Lo 9.24 x 
3S 4.62 x 
2A 3.63 x
Total 63.26 

the difference is only 1.42 point.
Their PCS is almost same in both SP and FP.
YuNa's step sequence got level 3 in SP and FP and Adelina got level 4 and 1.7 GOE.
This is fixed from the beginnig. Yuna was robbed gold medal.

age20

Rinkside
intense argument...
There's always only one OGM, which is not that important. We don't love some skaters because they are OGMs.

anyway, for me:
Yuna is a great great skater who made history and will be remembered for a long time.
Carolina is a beautiful & elegant skater who had a long & successful career and loved by fans all over the world.
Mao is classy and a fighter. No doubt she will also be missed and talked about for a long time.
Gracie! She's the future and has everything!
Adelina did a great job and seized the moment when everything favored her (including Julia's not doing well) but I'm not sure what could happen next.
Julia has incredible spins but she didn't give it all this time. Will there be next time? I doubt it.
Anyway, Russia still has Radionova to watch next year.

starrynight

On the Ice
Washington Post:

"Adelina Sotnikova’s Olympic gold medal win over Kim Yu-na will be endlessly argued"

"Sotnikova, 17, is the new out-of-the-blue Olympic champion, and how she managed to unseat the empress of the sport, Kim, much less by an overwhelming margin, no one is quite sure. Neither is she. “Until I had the medal my hand, I didn’t believe it,” she said, “but judging by the scores, I did it.”"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...928286-9a7a-11e3-80ac-63a8ba7f7942_story.html