Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

focus, focus ... back to the Commentators

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc
    (...there are lots of other threads to do the Adelina judging bashing/cheering)

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by age20 View Post
    CCTV(Chinese) live commentator tweeted her thoughts after free skating saying "How could the president came to watch ending up with hands empty".
    Considering Chinese skaters are frequently the target of harsh judging due to their (lack of) artistry I'm surprised that their reaction was not stronger. Shen & Zhao had to work so hard on their artistry because all the judges back then were favouring "Russian elegance" back then. Pang & Tong were always criticized for their weaker lines even when they were landing all their jumps...and their PCS were appropriately penalized back then.

Now all of a sudden "one more triple" is enough to win, artistry/lines/polish goes out the windows...the Chinese skaters must be pissed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The worst thing in the sport is to lose the respect of your peers. That is where Sotnikova now is. No past champion or fellow skater respects her victory, or perhaps ever her period at this point.
    I guess that is why Kostner was one of the first to come and congratulate her.

Custom Title
    Watching NBC, While Scott and Sandra mentioned that Adelina's tech score would be huge, they seemed happily surprised at her total score.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    So she should be allowed the same level of pleasure as real gold medalists who actually won a gold medal through their skating, not Putin's and the Russian federation's money, something she was unable to do. No thanks.
    Real Gold medalist? Now who would that be? Certainly not Yuna with her I am so bored look and even more boring free skate.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnChosen View Post
    Now all of a sudden "one more triple" is enough to win.
    Every spin Sotnikova did was better than Yu-Na's. That's not just one more triple jump.

Custom Title
    Wow, NBC did not make anything of this at all. Kinda surprised but I guess there was no American or Canadian in the mix for gold.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Every spin Sotnikova did was better than Yu-Na's. That's not just one more triple jump.
    Yuna's spins were slow and overall her program was not as good as her long in Vancouver.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Also Per Michelle Kwan. While she preferred Kim's skate. Under this Scoring system, Adelina won fair and square. Because of more difficulty.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/st...n-gold1-022014
    What???

Michelle Kwan did not say that. That link you provided was by:

"Marie Millikan skated as Marie Vichova for Czechoslovakia in the 1968 Olympics. She has been a skating coach in Indianapolis for four decades and has covered eight Winter Olympics for The Associated Press."

What's quoted above is a direct copy and paste from the bottom of your link.

Adelina won because of the judges. Most current and ex-skaters are in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Yuna's spins were slow and overall her program was not as good as her long in Vancouver.
    I didn't realize Yuna was competing with herself from 2010. My mistake.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by vegarin View Post
    I didn't realize Yuna was competing with herself from 2010. My mistake.
    She wasn't but it explains why she didn't get as high a score this time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NineTails View Post
    Adelina won because of the judges. Most current and ex-skaters are in agreement.
    Well the judges did judge the event, so everyone agrees she won because of the judges.

On the Ice
    Well the judges did judge the event, so everyone agrees she won because of the judges.
    So you reworded what I said to change the context of what I wanted to convey. Congratulations!

I think most people would have gotten the real context of what I posted.

She wasn't but it explains why she didn't get as high a score this time.
    While Adelina perfectly deserved her scores? Please, are you really trying to bring up Yuna's scores from the last Olympics and comparing it to now to justify why she doesn't deserve as high a score? Her exact same jump layout just last Worlds, done flawlessly got ~148 and her PCS was less than what Adelina got at the Olympics this year.

Seriously, Adelina won. I'm not going to say fair and square, but she could have edged out Yuna by sheer energy she brings with her and people may have accepted it if the difference wasn't so huge. She got the same PCS as Yuna? For choreography, too?

So yeah, apparently Adelina into is a better skater than Yuna, because even with Yuna skating clean, she can't really edge out Adelina on any element.

Banned
    Yes, Adelina with a step out, one less element, and inferior artistry and skating skills, scored almost the exact same as Yuna's 2010 WR.

Thanks judges!

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast