Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
So yeah, apparently Adelina into is a better skater than Yuna, because even with Yuna skating clean, she can't really edge out Adelina on any element. :rolleye:

This isn't 6.0, you can do more than someone else to overcome a mistake. Did you think Yuna's program was full of choreography and transitions? I saw a few empty parts, like where she does nothing between the lutz combo and the flip.

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
I wish the skaters, journalists, and TV commentators would stop fueling the idea of controversy--there are more than enough nasty p[people out there who use it as an excuse to attack the athlete rather than the judging system. Ryan Bradley (who is also guilty of tweeting about his disapproval of the results--he must know there a rabid fans out there likely to verbally attack whoever they think has unfairly beated their favorite) tweeted that Adelina's Facebook page is getting littered by nasty comments. I checked, and that is incdeed the case.

I wish I was suprised that some people think it's ok to attack verbally a teenage athlete who just performed the two most brilliant skates of her life, but I'm not. And this is why I think it is irresposible of commentators, other skaters, as well as skating fans to be urging others to sign petitions and keep talking about the controversy. Let the federations take action if they feel there was foul play.
To silence criticism and let injustice stay is wrong. Cheaters are cheaters. They cheated in 2002 and they are doing it again. I would rather kick out FS from Olys than let injustice stay.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She stepped to the podium to receive her gold medal. That is already wrong enough. I honestly would not have if I were here. As much as I would have dreamed of the gold medal I would request to be downgraded to a bronze medal rather than accept a medal I had not earned.

This is ridiculous. Sotnikova performed extremely well, and the best we've ever seen her, in both SP and LP. Of course she was held up to win gold, and that was thoroughly not earned. But that is the story of Russia at the Olympics... she's not going to give up her gold, no more than Plushenko is going to request to have his team FS placement revised to place below Reynolds/Machida. Paul Hamm didn't give up his all-around gold when Yang Tae-Eun should have won if not for a scoring error.

To say she will face ridicule for her placement is inaccurate, as the ridicule should be directed towards the judges, it's not something that's her fault. On the contrary, she will receive praise for her performance. She was technically the best on the night.

Kostner, who arguably should have won, congratulated her and high fived her on the podium which was great sportsmanship (even though she knew she was robbed of a higher placement than Sotnikova). :clap:

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
What???

Michelle Kwan did not say that. That link you provided was by:

"Marie Millikan skated as Marie Vichova for Czechoslovakia in the 1968 Olympics. She has been a skating coach in Indianapolis for four decades and has covered eight Winter Olympics for The Associated Press."

What's quoted above is a direct copy and paste from the bottom of your link.

Adelina won because of the judges. Most current and ex-skaters are in agreement.
That poster is a typical Russian fan boy.no credibility whatsoever.

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
That's honestly repulsive to wish that on a 17 year old girl who did not cause any of this. If the judges are to blame, then fix the system. Taking it out on someone who didn't knee cap her rivals is insane.

She is the ultimate beneficiary from this scandal. Of course she deserves criticisim.

up my sleeve

Spectator
This is ridiculous. Sotnikova performed extremely well, and the best we've ever seen her, in both SP and LP. Of course she was held up to win gold, and that was thoroughly not earned. But that is the story of the Olympics and she's not going to give up her gold. Paul Hamm didn't give up his all-around gold when Yang Tae-Eun should have won if not for a scoring error.

To say she will face ridicule for her placement is true, but that's not something that's her fault. On the contrary, she will receive praise for her performance. She was technically the best on the night.

Kostner, who arguably should have won, congratulated her and high fived her on the podium which was great sportsmanship (even though she knew she was robbed of a higher placement than Sotnikova). :clap:

This is the weirdest mindset. No one is suggesting she had any ACTIVE role in this, just that she benefited tremendously and the vast majority of fans' opinions of the event are extremely negative. She is a relatively forgettable skater and not worth the negativity, anyways. This is about the ISU trying to reach an audience - no one wants a gold medal awarded to someone the host crowd could care less for and they know the casual viewer won't understand levels or step sequences or carriage - they just hear "one more triple!" and the drunken roar of the crowd. I'm glad major media outlets are calling attention to it.

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
Adelina is not at fault here. She could have easily been a victim as well had Yulia performed a little better. Both of them are equally disposable to Russian Federation's eyes. What mattered was that a Russian gets a gold. Didn't matter her name is Yulia, Adelina, Putina, or Stalina. That's what people are upset about.

Of course she is at fault. She is part of that corrupt cheating system, and the biggest beneficiary.

up my sleeve

Spectator
The entire idea that Yuna could only win if she improved on Vancouver is unacceptable. There are too many trends in skating that are taken to be rules - just because it's how it happens doesn't mean it's how it SHOULD happen. There is a code. It was not followed tonight - there was a reason for this.

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
Now I feel bad for Adelina. All she did was skate her very best and ended up winning.. Yes her PCS were very high but she never skated like this before so of course she would get higher PCS than before!

You should not feel bad for her. She is part of that system. Our sympathy should go out to the real victims in this scandal.

You should not feel bad for her. She is part of that system. Our sympathy should go out to the real victims in this scandal.

And the fact that people are continuing to speak ill of her and act like it's her fault isn't something to be sympathetic over? There's no proof she had anything to do with a fix, so people forever calling her OGM a fraud and shame is certainly not how most people want to win their medals.

bekalc

Record Breaker

:no: I didn't realize Sotnikova scored herself. If Kim wanted to win, she should have upped her technical content and spin/footwork levels. That was all in Kim's control.

And if this is going to be based on artistry, Guess what, not everyone agrees the artistry marks should have gone to Kim anyways. See Kostner.

vegarin

On the Ice
:no: I didn't realize Sotnikova scored herself. If Kim wanted to win, she should have upped her technical content and spin/footwork levels. That was all in Kim's control.

I think perhaps she was trying to practice skating to the music with precision. I have an inkling that she thought that would reflect well on PCS. Apparently not.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
hatebots? The only hatebots here are you and the few other usual Yuna haters here that can't seem to shut up.

You Yuna fans are attacking the posters who disagree rather than arguing on specific scores from the protocol, which I think would be a more valuable learning opportunity for everyone here.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

"Kim needed to grab it at the end there," said commentator Paul Wylie, a former Olympic silver medalist. ''She just played it too safe."
Kim acknowledged that she wasn't as inspired as when she won the gold medal in Vancouver in 2010, saying, "That desire, that strong wish, was not as present. Motivation was a problem, I think."