Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast

Thread: Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

I watched the recap/analysis on NBC with Sandra, Scott and Tracie and the only one who said anything about the judging was Sandra. Tracie and Scott were talking about how Adelina just racked up the points on her technical score and then mentioned that some people were questioning her PCS, which is where Sandra jumped in and said something like "that's where I have some questions since I'm looking at things as a choreographer".

Tara and Johnny seem to agree with the placements. They were talking to Bob Costas about the results stressing Adelina's technical difficulty, and said that she "won the night" with her "excitement" and "energy of the crowd" behind her.

Quote Originally Posted by shellbell757 View Post
    I watched the recap/analysis on NBC with Sandra, Scott and Tracie and the only one who said anything about the judging was Sandra. Tracie and Scott were talking about how Adelina just racked up the points on her technical score and then mentioned that some people were questioning her PCS, which is where Sandra jumped in and said something like "that's where I have some questions since I'm looking at things as a choreographer".

Tara and Johnny seem to agree with the placements. They were talking to Bob Costas about the results stressing Adelina's technical difficulty, and said that she "won the night" with her "excitement" and "energy of the crowd" behind her.
    Ridiculous.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Random thought: People with black or very dark hair, like YuNa and Tessa Virtue, tend to look stunning in black, and this costume of YuNa's was no exception. (I felt the same way about Tessa's short dance costume and Illynkh's free dance swan costume.) I don't think that YuNa's dress suffers by comparison with Adelina's LP dress, as gorgeous as I think that combination of smoky gray and copper was.
    Kidding? Sotnikova's LP dress looked like a garbage bag draped over her. SP dress was nice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shellbell757 View Post
    So following their logic, in order to win you just have to make the crowd excited, that's all? Hmm I guess then skaters should just all choose fun, exciting music rather than challenge themselves with something like Yuna did (Adios Nonino is a sad tango by Piazzolla dedicated to his late father). Right.

P.S. The crowd was Russian, they'll cheer Adelina in any case

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Kidding? Sotnikova's LP dress looked like a garbage bag draped over her. SP dress was nice.
    Where can I get garbage bags in that color? The only ones I see are black or white, and they definitely don't come with copper ties.

Custom Title
    Clearly, our tastes differ. To me it was lovely. We will both agree never to choose each other's wardrobe!

Quote Originally Posted by jehan215 View Post
    So following their logic, in order to win you just have to make the crowd excited, that's all? Hmm I guess then skaters should just all choose fun, exciting music rather than challenge themselves with something like Yuna did (Adios Nonino is a sad tango by Piazzolla dedicated to his late father). Right.

Yep - that's what they said. There was no discussion of choreography, interpretation, skating skills or anything else that actually goes into PCS.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by jehan215 View Post

Exactly. Didn't Julia get a standing ovation after her performances even though she fell?

Custom Title
    It wasn't that bad, the style is just fine. However the color is just a bit washout, not age appropriate.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladymadchan View Post
    Exactly. Didn't Julia get a standing ovation after her performances even though she fell?
    Yulia also choose a piece that challenged the audience just like Yuna. I don't see the point you're making. She stole their hearts at the team event(and all season if you followed her) and they wanted to show appreciation to her in spite of her falls. She looked devastated. Should they have gone silent. I'm sure if Yuna and Adelina had switched music and if this were 2018 we'd see the same thing in terms of crowd reaction. I guess I just don't see anything wrong with it. It's the Olympics after all.....not Worlds or GPF.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Yulia also choose a piece that challenged the audience just like Yuna. I don't see the point you're making. She stole their hearts at the team event(and all season if you followed her) and they wanted to show appreciation to her in spite of her falls. She looked devastated. Should they have gone silent. I'm sure if Yuna and Adelina had switched music and if this were 2018 we'd see the same thing in terms of crowd reaction. I guess I just don't see anything wrong with it. It's the Olympics after all.....not Worlds or GPF.
    I made the comment because some people justify Adelina's win by saying "she had the crowd on her side". Well the crowd was unabashedly pro-Russian and packed with Russians, no matter how many mistakes a Russian skater, positive crowd response pretty much reflected the skater's nationality and not the quality of skating (as evidenced by Julia getting standing ovations for falls). IMO justifying any Russian skater's win by saying "they had the crowd on their side" is plain unfair and extremely wrong.

Whatever I guess we should probably be grateful that Julia didn't bump a deserving skater off the podium in the Individual event for multiple falls

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I actually loved Adelina's dress, but YuNa's dress is very elegant and beautiful as well. There's nothing retro to criticize in it, obviously, but that's just spite talking on Tarasova's part. The idea that YuNa's program was somehow substandard is ludicrous, and in any case I wouldn't go to Tarasova for an unbiased expert opinion.

Madama Tarasaova, whom I otherwise admire for her achievements, might pause for a moment to realize that if YuNa was so bad, then it wasn't any special achievement for Adelina to beat her. Anyone could have, right? It's always unwise to make one's rival look too unqualified.
    Tarasova is the Godmother of figure skating (as in the movie Godfather ), what do you expect? Lol, she has always been like that. Come to think of it, she was quite beautiful when young, and now, it's scary every time her face is on tivi. She must have been extremely jealous of the young beauty.

Tatiana Tarasova is beautiful still.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...a_Tarasova.jpg

Custom Title
    O_o

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Tatiana Tarasova is beautiful still.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...a_Tarasova.jpg
    Obviously you haven't seen her glare.. especially at Yuna lol

Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast