Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast

Thread: Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Tatiana Tarasova is beautiful still.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...a_Tarasova.jpg
    She looks like a nice and kind grandma to me. But behind the door, she is as political as anyone else.
    Plus, I still blame her for Mao's choice of music in 2010. The Bell of Moscow simply took away the lightness and joy from Mao. Sorry, off topic.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JayW View Post
    She looks like a nice and kind grandma to me. But behind the door, she is as political as anyone else.
    Plus, I still blame her for Mao's choice of music in 2010. The Bell of Moscow simply took away the lightness and joy from Mao. Sorry, off topic.
    She absolutely ruined Mao, both with the too-heavy music choices and the decline in her technique under Tatiana.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    He's not watching her butt, he just can't catch her.

This was part of a promotional campaign that Michelle did with Olympic champion diver Greg Louganis for Carnival Cruise Lines.
    Carnival?
    I thought it was royal Caribbean where they are both godparents of the ship.

Custom Title

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
    Yeah, that article confirms what I posted on another thread. Judging issues started in SP program. Adelinia should not have been that close to Yuna Kim going into the LP. Adelina did a junior level jump combination in the SP for heaven sakes

Custom Title
    Philip Hersh's Valedictory:

``Sustaining at that height for so long is amazing,” Kerrigan said of Kim.

That is what it means to be transcendent.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...6414397.column

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JayW View Post
    She looks like a nice and kind grandma to me.
    She reminds me of the Witch of the Waste ("oh what a pretty fire!" ) ....
    http://statici.behindthevoiceactors....char_30482.jpg
    http://gofigureskating.com/people/im...naTarasova.jpg

Rinkside
    Also nice:
    I spoke with a prominent skating journalist in the Main Press Center on Sunday and she summed up the scandal pretty succinctly.

“The fix was in from the start,” she said. “Once they saw that (Julia) Lipnitskaia couldn’t win the gold, they just backed Sotnikova.”

I must say that I breathed a huge sigh of relief prior to the men’s short program the week before when Russia’s Evgeni Plushenko pulled out with an injury.

Why?

Because I was very worried that what we saw happen in the women’s singles, would happen in the men’s. That if Plushenko skated, he would somehow emerge with wildly inflated scores and a deserving champion like Yuzuru Hanyu or Canada’s Patrick Chan would be denied the title.

When I mentioned this concern to another writer following the controversy that saw Kim deprived of a second Olympic gold medal, he didn’t blink with his reply.

“You better believe that Plushenko would have won if he had skated in the singles,” he said. “There is no way he would have lost.”
    http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2.../#.Uxy3hM5WXCM

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    Tatiana Tarasova is smoking something...

http://www.sovsport....ext-item/687629
    When you copy and paste someone's work from a different site, it's considered good manners to acknowledge the source. Sovsport is a Russian-language source. What you posted is a translated version posted at fsuniverse. Quote the source, why don't you.

Custom Title
    Japan Times must be really hard up for white people writing for them if such hacking passes as journalism.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanlover View Post
    To add, Silvia Fontana went apeshit on Italian RAI for Yuna... yes, not Carolina, but Yuna.

There is a post competition interview with Witt in German in which she goes ballistic as well.
    Does anyone have a vid or audio of Silvia going off? Couldn't open the link of Katarina posted by someone earlier; here's a link to a youtube of her diatribe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT07-Jc00jQ

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadya View Post
    Japan Times must be really hard up for white people writing for them if such hacking passes as journalism.
    Please define "hacking." Gallagher has covered figure skating for decades and been well respected in the field. Please enlighten me: What part of his article does pertain to "hacking"?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    She absolutely ruined Mao, both with the too-heavy music choices and the decline in her technique under Tatiana.
    Mao always had lousy jump technique, Tatiana just never worked to improve it.

Custom Title
    Please define "hacking." Gallagher has covered figure skating for decades and been well respected in the field. Please enlighten me: What part of his article does pertain to "hacking"?
    Pretty much all of it. Journalism is supposed to be about objective catalogueing of sources on both sides. Not pulling together quotes to support your own point of view. "Kim Denied a Second Gold" is an opinion. It does not belong in reporting. Perhaps in opinion pages, but certainly not in reporting. This would never fly in respectable newspapers.

That Gallagher is respected is a matter of opinion; I've never heard of him till now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I spoke with a prominent skating journalist in the Main Press Center on Sunday and she summed up the scandal pretty succinctly.

“The fix was in from the start,” she said. “Once they saw that (Julia) Lipnitskaia couldn’t win the gold, they just backed Sotnikova.”

I must say that I breathed a huge sigh of relief prior to the men’s short program the week before when Russia’s Evgeni Plushenko pulled out with an injury.

Why?

Because I was very worried that what we saw happen in the women’s singles, would happen in the men’s. That if Plushenko skated, he would somehow emerge with wildly inflated scores and a deserving champion like Yuzuru Hanyu or Canada’s Patrick Chan would be denied the title.

When I mentioned this concern to another writer following the controversy that saw Kim deprived of a second Olympic gold medal, he didn’t blink with his reply.

“You better believe that Plushenko would have won if he had skated in the singles,” he said. “There is no way he would have lost.”

Good to see an inside source confirm everything we all already knew. Hanyu and Chan are so lucky Plushenko didnt skate, even if Hanyu and Chan had skated perfectly Plushenko probably would have been then given a score over 300 with a bunch of 10s in PCS and +3s in GOE for the gold medal. Every gold except the dance was bought for Mother Russia long before the Games began.
    It's not a source, dear, unless there's a name attached to it.

The way men skated, my housecleaner could have won a medal, it wouldn't even take Pluschenko.

Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast