Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast

Thread: Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadya View Post
    It's not a source, dear, unless there's a name attached to it.

The way men skated, my housecleaner could have won a medal, it wouldn't even take Pluschenko.
    Patongfan surrounds him/herself with people who believe, in a ratio of 30-to-1, that there was a scandal.

Custom Title
    Pretty much all of it. Journalism is supposed to be about objective catalogueing of sources on both sides. Not pulling together quotes to support your own point of view. "Kim Denied a Second Gold" is an opinion. It does not belong in reporting. Perhaps in opinion pages, but certainly not in reporting. This would never fly in respectable newspapers.

That Gallagher is respected is a matter of opinion; I've never heard of him till now.
    It seems like you used the word "hacking" as if it meant an "opinion." You have not explained clearly how they are exchangeable. Gallagher has gained his reputation from the general public and his peers in the field - his reputation is not merely anybody's opinion but his career proves it. As you probably know, whether you knew him is not a good measure to weigh somebody's reputation, unless you are a google search engine.

Tripping on the Podium slutskayafann's Avatar

The way men skated, my housecleaner could have won a medal.
    True

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
    It seems like you used the word "hacking" as if it meant an "opinion." You have not explained clearly how they are interchangeable. Gallagher has gained his reputation from the general public and his peers in the field - his reputation is not merely anybody's opinion but his career proves it. As you probably know, whether you knew him is not a good measure to weigh somebody's reputation, unless you are a google search engine.
    Fixed that for you.

Running an opinion piece with no sources as if it is a NEWS ITEM is hacking. Opinion pieces are supposed to be clearly labeled as such.

Might you benefit from a quick review of what is considered news reporting vs. op-ed pieces?

Custom Title
    Fixed that for you.

Running an opinion piece with no sources as if it is a NEWS ITEM is hacking. Opinion pieces are supposed to be clearly labeled as such. Might you benefit from a quick review of what is considered news reporting vs. op-ed pieces?
    Please read the article closely before condenming it.

Custom Title
    Please read the article closely before condenming it.
    Please be sure you understand what a source is.

Custom Title
    Fixed that for you.

Running an opinion piece with no sources as if it is a NEWS ITEM is hacking. Opinion pieces are supposed to be clearly labeled as such.

Might you benefit from a quick review of what is considered news reporting vs. op-ed pieces?
    You are hilarious. Have you even read Phil's 'opinion' pieces? Opinion and perception matters in this sport. When you have multiple people who covered this sport for decades disagree with the results, that qualifies as news, since themselves qualifies as among the expert sources.

Besides, I have read multiple Chinese report pieces, they even quoted Japanese media press in the green room that thought the result was crazy, and that had this not take place in Russia like in Pyongchang, the gold will be Yuna's. Now... that is news, and not an opinion.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    You are hilarious. Have you even read Phil's 'opinion' pieces? Opinion and perception matters in this sport. When you have multiple people who covered this sport for decades disagree with the results, that qualifies as news, since themselves qualifies as among the expert sources.

Besides, I have read multiple Chinese report pieces, they even quoted Japanese media press in the green room that thought the result was crazy, and that had this not take place in Russia like in Pyongchang, the gold will be Yunas. Now... that is news, and not an opinion.
    We are not discussing Phil's opinion pieces or multiple Chinese reports you read. We are discussing Jack Gallagher's piece and I stand by my opinion that's it's hacking.

Running an item on "multiple people disagreeing with results" is OK if it's headlined as such and if - pay attention here - these "multiple people" have names attached. Gallagher quotes no one, names no one. You call that journalism?

Custom Title
    We are not discussing Phil's opinion pieces or multiple Chinese reports you read. We are discussing Jack Gallagher's piece and I stand by my opinion that's it's hacking.

Running an item on "multiple people disagreeing with results" is OK if it's headlined as such and if - pay attention here - these "multiple people" have names attached. Gallagher quotes no one, names no one. You call that journalism?
    Fine for a 'hack', he seems to do quite well getting paid by Japan Times for years! Getting clicks, getting consensus and people agreeing/disagree with him is not doing too badly.
    I personally think he is protecting his sources from these unnecessary controversy, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Custom Title
    Please be sure you understand what a source is.
    I start having some doubts about your intelligence level.

Custom Title
    I concur.. sadly.

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Opinion and perception matters in this sport.
    Everybody's opinion and perception matters in this sport, except the judges opinion and perception. It's quite funny.

Custom Title
    Fine for a 'hack', he seems to do quite well getting paid by Japan Times for years! Getting clicks, getting consensus and people agreeing/disagree with him is not doing too badly.
    I personally think he is protecting his sources from these unnecessary controversy, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    If getting paid well was a journalism criteria, the lineup of Pulitzer Prize winners would look quite different.

He may be protecting his sources. Or inventing them, who knows. Without naming names, there's nowhere to go back for attribution, and there is nothing wrong with people questioning the credibility of unnamed sources.

Custom Title
    I start having some doubts about your intelligence level.
    Who cares what you doubt? I don't know you; we'll never meet. Your opinion of me will never be a factor in anything that counts to me.

skating philosopher
    FWIW, this column was published as part of his "Ice Time" column series. Gallagher is a figure skating columnist for The Japan Times.

This was not the first, nor the last that Gallagher has expressed his opinion in a column (which is reasonable thing to do). Whether you agree with it or not is another matter and YMMV.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-10-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast