Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

YunaBliss

On the Ice
LA Times Article: http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-sochi-figure-skating-plaschke-20140221,1,3958571.column#axzz2tvuGDkT3

By Bill Plaschke
February 20, 2014, 5:31 p.m.

SOCHI, Russia — The brilliantly graceful South Korean queen of figure skating did everything necessary to retain her Olympic crown Thursday night while facing a feisty Russian kid in an arena filled with fanatical Russian fans.
Yuna Kim never stood a chance. Some would call it scandal, others would call it skating, but common sense would call what happened at the Iceberg Skating Palace just plain wrong.

moviechick

On the Ice
Kim is not going to be referred as 2x Olympic Champion. Come on, get your head straight. She will no doubt be remembered as an all-time great and Olympic Champion, but they're not going to erase this event. It'll be a hotly debated result for years to come and will be remembered as a controversial outcome, but it's something that unfortunately this sport is known for.

Ven

Match Penalty
Yuna was trending on twitter earlier. Thousands of people saying she was robbed. People aren't mind controlled by federation connected NBC broadcasters. They know what they saw.

Ven

Match Penalty
The petition to investigate the judging is now approaching 900,000 signatures already.

NineTails

Rinkside
I can't get over Judge 7's scores for Adelina:

GOE:
-1 (the combo jump where she stepped out)

PCS:

From the way this was scored, this judge obviously "thought" it was a WR performance. It was really good but it doesn't come close to Yuna's FS in Vancouver.

I'll bet that it was one of the two judges in question:

Judge whose husband is the head of the Russian Federation or the Ukraine judge once suspended for fixing the Nagano Olympics.

bara1968

On the Ice
Can someone tell me how Adelina got virtually the same score as Yu-na with only a 3toe-3toe in the short? (She only received a 70 in Euros 2014 for the same clean performance).

Can someone tell me how Adelina scored 35.55 in PCS for her short program?

Can someone tell me how the hell Adelina did not get both edge and underrotation calls on her 3lutz-3toe combo?

Can someone tell me how in the world Adelina received 74.41 in PCS for her sloppy program?

Adelina did perform well, and I don't blame her, but the scoring was beyond ridiculous.

Yeah, I really want to hear the answer too. Some people here keep talking about tech difficulty in LP, but Yuna's SP has the most difficult jump layout compared to Sot, yet she could not earn high GOEs as usual. From SP, there should have been good 3+ points difference between Yuna and Sot if they were judged accurately.

Why do we even have PCS if someone like Sot can be judged on par as superior artist as Yuna or Caro K? Some people are talking about Sara Hughes, but even with visible error, Kwan got better artistic score under 6.0. The difference was at least there, NOTHING, NOTHING like less-than-point difference in PCS which happened last night.

Sot's PCS is simply a joke, and it will be still remembered as funniest score ever in FS in 10 years, if FS can survive until then.

Ven

Match Penalty
Tara Lipinski on NBC: "Yuna didn't have the guts out there."

One of the most despicable comments I've ever seen. The Russians were booing her, the judging was rigged, she had to be perfect to win, and she was. But apparently she was "gutless".

I am disgraced that Tara Lipinski is an American.

gds102

Rinkside
Sotnikova got 173.30 in December 2013
and got 224.59 in the Olympics.
50 points skyrocketted in 2 months.
Gross homecooking indeed. :bang:

vegarin

On the Ice

One of the most despicable comments I've ever seen. The Russians were booing her, the judging was rigged, she had to be perfect to win, and she was. But apparently she was "gutless".

Yeah, I'm sure if Yuna broke her choreo to wave and smile at the Russian audience, she would've been gutsy and would've totally deserved to win.

I just can't with people trying to find flaws in Yuna's programs to justify Adelina's scores. If they really believe the scores were justified and could withstand scrutiny, they wouldn't have to explain so so so much why exactly Yuna deserved to be beat by Adelina. It should not require an explanation.

We get it. You want to tell us Adelina was good enough to get gold with a flawed performance, but Yuna laying down a clean skate after all that wasn't gutsy enough to win gold. :bang:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Sotnikova got 173.30 in December 2013
and got 224.59 in the Olympics.
50 points skyrocketted in 2 months.
Gross homecooking indeed. :bang:
Because she didn't do way more technically then she did here. She broke 200 points at Europeans-Not in Russia. Without a 3/3

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Because she didn't do way more technically then she did here. She broke 200 points at Europeans-Not in Russia. Without a 3/3

...and she magically improved 24.59 pts since the Europeans, which was about a month ago.

bekalc

Record Breaker
...and she magically improved 24.59 pts since the Europeans, which was about a month ago.

Sotnikova's did more technically here than she did in Europeans. Her PCS scores didn't improve that much more. If she got the same PCS scores at Euros that she got here, guess what-she still wins.

The attention was all on Yulia-because Yulia won. But Adelina put on some very good skates at Europeans. She just messed up her combination and lost some technical points. She got higher PCS than Yulia in the free.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Sotnikova's did more technically here than she did in Europeans. Her PCS scores didn't improve that much more. If she got the same PCS scores at Euros that she got here, guess what-she still wins.

The attention was all on Yulia-because Yulia won. But Adelina put on some very good skates at Europeans. She just messed up her combination and lost some technical points. She got higher PCS than Yulia in the free.

Sotnikova's PCS was inflated as much as certain other skaters' PCS were deflated in Sochi.

Let's compare the scorecards of Kim, Kostner, and Sotnikova ACROSS both SP and LP.

NineTails

Rinkside

You are only taking into account the FS. Add both the Short and Free and it more than makes up the difference.

Inabauer

Rinkside

I am disgraced that Tara Lipinski is an American.

Gutless is someone who retired at age 15 after winning the OGM. The irony, Tara. Someone needs to give her a good smack.

bekalc

Record Breaker
You are only taking into account the FS. Add both the Short and Free and it more than makes up the difference.

So you don't think Sotnikova was going to get no PCS boast at the Olympics. Especially with a better skate, and some higher levels.:laugh: