Figure Skating became a jumping contest in Sochi | Golden Skate

Figure Skating became a jumping contest in Sochi

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
We all know ... TES and PCS.

If the Game is held in Russia, young Russian skaters all became as good as anyone in PCS ... OVERNIGHT?
Do they understand Figure Skating is a Unique Artistic Sport?

It is meaningless to seperate PCS from TES if they are going to judge like in Sochi.

I enjoyed two outstanding STAR SKATERS during the GAME... Yuna Kim and Gracie Gold.

usethis2

Medalist
If it were a jumping contest, Yuna would have won in SP by a mile and again in FS with her higher quality jumps.

It was Russia + 20 vs. everyone else. That's it.

Manitou

Medalist
And should be. The Olympics are a sporting, not artistic, event. And it should be even more focused on athleticism and technical elements, rather than on "shmartistic" rubbish. This is sports!
The sprinters are awarded medals for being first at the finish line, not for being beautiful and graceful.
And if the shmartistic stuff becomes more important than athleticism then I don't see this as part of Olympics. Create your own Artistic Games, but don't bring it to the Olympics, please.

hurrah

Medalist
No it's not. If it were, Mao would have won the FP by a mile and a half. Skating is a money and politics game.

PftJump

On the Ice
It's "Figure" skating.

Compulsory Figure is gone, but still primary.

Sotni's Skating is not even close to Yuna, Caro, Mao.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Under 6.0 artistic side is as big as technical...one of the reason Midori Ito..struggled.
I have a huge impression that Russians love beautiful things...was I wrong?...not in Sochi?

Mirunna

Record Breaker
No it's not. If it were, Mao would have won the FP by a mile and a half. Skating is a money and politics game.

That was my first reaction when I saw the title. I hope Mao's achievement from today will be later much more appreciated.

About jumping contests, these Olympic Games were no different from other skating contests.

But…yeah…there is just too much boring jumping going on in the long program. After the first three minutes I find myself saying, is that guy still out there jumping up and down?

I like the short programs much better. A nice balance of many different kinds of skating skills. "Sport" does not = jumping. A true athlete on ice should be able to demonstrate mastery of several skills, not just one.

auser

Record Breaker
About jumping contests, these Olympic Games were no different from other skating contests.

But…yeah…there is just too much boring jumping going on in the long program. After the first three minutes I find myself saying, is that guy still out there jumping up and down?

I like the short programs much better. A nice balance of many different kinds of skating skills. "Sport" does not = jumping. A true athlete on ice should be able to demonstrate mastery of several skills, not just one.

:biggrin: Entertaining comment(not sure if you are serious?;)). I agree with your short programs observation. I mean if its still called "figure skating" there should be some skills involving blades moving on ice. Otherwise it would be "figure jumping", no?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think the take-away from this competition is that there are no longer any "throw away" elements. You MUST have strong spins and footwork to compete, and this is different than before.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Obviously it wasnt since Sotnikova didnt even have close to the strongest jumps in this competition. More like it was a Putin and federational bribery contest and nobody is going to beat Russia at home in that, hence 3 of 5 golds (would have been 4 of 5 had Plushenko pulled out soon enough to allow Kovtun to skate, someones head will probably roll for the wasted millions on that lost payed for gold medal).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Exactly. There is certainly nothing skating related that could be attributed to Sotnikova's win. Spins maybe, but then again Julia's are better.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
"Figure Skating became a jumping contest in Sochi "

Ugh. It was MUCH worse in the early 90s after they got rid of compulsories. Go watch Surya Bonaly's three Worlds silver medal winning performances to see someone awarded for jumping alone.

usethis2

Medalist
I think the take-away from this competition is that there are no longer any "throw away" elements. You MUST have strong spins and footwork to compete, and this is different than before.

I think that lesson was never lost since CoP was introduced. (except by Plushenko) It's why people were outraged by the suggestion that Yulia was a gold contender.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think the take-away from this competition is that there are no longer any "throw away" elements.

Unless you are Russian then you dont need strong anything. Just show up and collect your gold medal. The glory days of the height of Russian politiks of the 70s and 80s are back in full force. Lets see if they continue it outside of Russia. Wonder how deep their pockets still are after all they shelved out to secure sweeping the golds at this competition pre Games.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
"Figure Skating became a jumping contest in Sochi "

Ugh. It was MUCH worse in the early 90s after they got rid of compulsories. Go watch Surya Bonaly's three Worlds silver medal winning performances to see someone awarded for jumping alone.

Bonaly had some artistry too. It wasn't just the jumps. Her basic skating was horrendous, though.

If she had been taught proper technique from a young age, she would likely have won all three of those Worlds, and 1994 Olympics as well.