Thread: The Judging Controversy Thread

Hybrid View

Banned

The Judging Controversy Thread

RIP figure skating.
    Never let Russia host the Olympics.

Banned

Ukrainian judge involved in 2002 scandal was on tonight's Ladies panel

This will go down as the blackest day in the history of figure skating, far surpassing 2002.

The judging $$$$ in these olympics was a farce, climaxing with the rigged result of the ladies event.

Judging the women's free skate on Thursday evening in Sochi is none other than Ukrainian Yuri Balkov.

Balkov, as you may remember, is the same judge who was recorded on tape - by Canadian whistle blower Jean Senft - listing the results of the pairs free dance at the Winter Olympics in Nagano before the event even took place.

His punishment for rigging an Olympic event, as handed down by the International Skating Union: A one year suspension.

Shocking. Especially for the absolute meritocracy that is figure skating.

Custom Title
    You can't fix stupid.

Custom Title
    Figure Skating = ????

I don't care no more.

Custom Title
    Obviously the ISU doesn't want to do anything to this problem.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    Obviously the ISU doesn't want to do anything to this problem.
    Probably because they all received a nice paycheck -- or a villa -- from the Russians.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Probably because they all received a nice paycheck -- or a villa -- from the Russians.
    That's why Putin build Sochi!! Good rest area!!

Custom Title
    Or 7-triples in an inspired program > 6-triple flat program. But the villas does sound like a more opulent explanation.

Custom Title
    No wonder Sochi has been the most expensive Olympics yet at $50+ bn.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Well, rather than get heated about it, I'll just quote myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    I hate to have to refer to SLC 2002 again, as this just makes my French half very ashamed, but... SLC 2002!
    Even when there was a real scandal with people found guilty (that wouldn't be possible that clearly today), "Both Le Gougne and Gailhaguet were eventually suspended from the sport for three years by the International Skating Union, which never made any serious investigation into the events." ... and then things came back to what they were before: Didier Gailhaguet resigned as president of the French Ice Sports Federation on 12 May 2004 (he wasn't even fired!), but was re-elected to that position in December 2007. He is considered the most likely to be the successor of Cinquanta as future President of the ISU.

So to sum it up, I'd say the ISU has a very pragmatic approach to scandals and controversies: "sit and wait, there's nothing they can do anyway". They awarded Salé/Pelletier with additional Gold Medals due to being pressured by the IOC. The ISU would have been fine with doing nothing. Their slogan should be something like:

ISU - yeah, well, what are you gonna do about it?

Rinkside
    This will go down as the blackest day in the history of figure skating, far surpassing 2002.

The judging $$$$ in these olympics was a farce, climaxing with the rigged result of the ladies event.
    Ven, you've now started at least 3 different threads, all complaining about the judging. Yuna won the component mark. If she did 7 triples, as Adelina did, she would have won. 6 is not greater than 7. STOP COMPLAINING (and starting new threads).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentWolgamott View Post
    Ven, you've now started at least 3 different threads, all complaining about the judging. Yuna won the component mark. If she did 7 triples, as Adelina did, she would have won. 6 is not greater than 7. STOP COMPLAINING (and starting new threads).
    Adelina stumbled sideways on one of her jump combos. Not even clean.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentWolgamott View Post
    Yuna won the component mark.
    Yeah, she won the component mark. By a whopping 0.09 points. Wow, I wonder how that wasn't enough to counter her lower TES... Sorry, but this is so sad it's funny.

Custom Title
    His plan of ranking only worked with 6.0.

Anyone still in denial about the Russians rigging the competition?

Do I hear crickets? How Adelina beat both a clean Kim and a clean Kostner is impossible to explain otherwise.

I'm happy for the performances we got today, though. And Yuna managed to skate clean back to back in her last competition.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast