Billions gone where during the construction
Undocumented disposal of hazardous/construction waste
Environmental damage to Sochi area
Unpaid foreign workers deported before being paid
Shoddy construction
Unfinished hotel rooms
Yellow water
LGBT forced back into the closet
Pussy Riot attacked by their own fellow Russians (who were hired as protection for the Games)
All protest relegated to areas miles away from the foreign press in Sochi
Audiences who have now given vivid new meanings to the words/phrases "partisan" and "unsportsman-like behavior"

Unfair scoring is the least of it.

Actually, you're right. The level of blatant bad scoring is just a reflection of a society and system that is terribly mired.

usethis2

Medalist
Adelina's PCS

I cannot believe this. Did she really skate like (or better than) Kim in Vancouver? Did Kim skate so much worse than in Vancouver?

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I don't know. I still think Slutskaya being robbed of her gold in 2002 is a bigger scandal. :laugh:

I hope this does end up resulting in getting rid of anonymous judging though.

chloepoco

Medalist
Don't forget Mao. :)

I haven't seen the skates yet and I just very may disagree with the judging itself/result....but I definitely don't agree with Adelina getting all this vitriol. She's a sweet girl and great person.

Yes! Mao was absolutely lovely, and probably the highlight of the night for me!

I just don't think that so many different threads, all saying basically the same thing (Corrupt Russians, etc, etc), need to be started.

JYSkate

Rinkside
Although it's heartbreaking that some of the veterans were ripped off, I'm more, deeply, sad about how the Olympics are heading into. Olympics is losing its spirit. It has been turned from pure competition to money and politics. I had this feeling even before Yuna skated that even if she's clean, the best she'll receive is silver, and I was right. I was not happy, but I was not mad either because it was bound to happen. Russians will be happy, but I know the rest of the world knows who the real winner is, and it's not Adelina.

My heart today though, goes to Mao. Her tears at the end reminded me how difficult and stressful this sport can be. She did make mistakes in the SP, but her FS was delightful to watch, and she too, will be remembered as one of the "greats" in my minds. It was really nice to see her 3A getting ratified.

Yuna done what she can do best, and she delivered. If she's happy with her performance, I, too, will be happy.

well said. I was also so happy for Mao. She is a fighter and it would have been amazing to see her make the podium.

Ven

Match Penalty
She had a stepout and no spiral sequence and scored almost the same as Yuna 2010. So yeah, laugh at that.

I really like Adelina, and wanted her on the podium, but not like that. What a disgrace.

volk

Final Flight
Adelina's PCS

I cannot believe this. Did she really skate like (or better than) Kim in Vancouver? Did Kim skate so much worse than in Vancouver?

Kim was a bit tentative today so the PCS margin was smaller between her and Adelina.

PftJump

On the Ice
Russians don't need to worry about next Olympics.

IMO, they will be paid back 2014 Worlds. (Maybe they should keep away from that.)

Adelina, Julia can get this score? I don't think so. Never Forever.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
And the thing is, Russia has basically doomed their skaters for the next quadrennial, so skaters like Julia and the likes who might have peaked in Pyongyang can kiss their gold medals good bye. Nevermind if they deserve it or not.

I think we should punish the skaters from USA CAN and KOR as well because their judges also gave Adelina monster GOE and PCS.

gmyers

Record Breaker
She was the best and deserved to win and made changes necessary to win. She dropped loop combo as second jump and improved flips with combos. She worked hard and delivered when it counted. Tarasova method of keeping skates basically the same no matter how much trouble the skater has with them and pushing them to deliver when it matters most worked. I know Tarasova was not there but she was the leader of Sotnikova's team. And whatever it was worked. It almost didn't work! The PCS of the day reflected the day and not rep. It's like when Lipinski got 5.9's in the second mark or something. People hated that too! But it happens because the performance worked! It wasn't completely perfect but even the in flaws she was undeniably on her game the whole time! It was a mission and she accomplished her mission and it was an inspirational skate.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
what made Adelina win was the home crowd cheer, it wasnt like Yuna was at her best and Sotnikova imploded
you can say she pulled a Hughes and the crowd rallied for her

hurrah

Medalist
I think we should punish the skaters from USA CAN and KOR as well because their judges also gave Adelina monster GOE and PCS.

What? How do you know which nationalities gave what?? Were they the judges that were paid off and you happen to be in a position to know this?? Otherwise, why else for such an odd remark. Judging is supposed to be anonymous, right?

usethis2

Medalist
People always think Kim is tentative because she doesn't look so happy like other skaters after landing difficult jumps. I talked about this in other threads. Her jumps are part of choreography, not some accomplishment to be excited about just because of not falling off. Just because a skater's mouth is ear to ear after landing a jump that doesn't mean the skater is "on."

P.S. I will miss her graceful, otherworldly skating forever.

Gigi13

On the Ice
I'm pissed. Adelina was good but she did not deserve OGM or a score 149 and she had flaws she was also overscored in the SP. The only reason I'm staying in figure skating is because of Yuzuru Hanyu and Li Zijun, I can't wait to see the 2018 Olympics because it would be better than Sochi.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Christine Brennan writes figure skating for USA Today, and is a commentator on ABC and National Public Radio.

She tweeted:
"headline is that this is worse than Salt Lake City. Terrible decision."

Also she said Ashley Wagner made a statement, that she was speechless about the results and anonymous judging must be eliminated.
The biggest scandal of 2002 was that Shen / Zhao did not win. You see it is all relative.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I don't understand HOW Russia could've rigged it. Was Putin holding the judges' puppies hostage? Did they threaten that they'd ship them to Siberia? Did they pay them in vodka? What leverage could they have had when it's anonymous judging?

I don't agree with the result today, but I think the judges were caught up in the moment and the Russian crowd subconsciously made them tick up the PCS for the Russians. Sotnikova's TES marks were about right.

Thank god winning Olympic medals isn't everything.