The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I don't agree with the result today, but I think the judges were caught up in the moment and the Russian crowd subconsciously made them tick up the PCS for the Russians. Sotnikova's TES marks were about right.

this was it
thank you

usethis2

Medalist
And don't forget the SP scores. Seriously that scoring was a crime. Had the tech panel given Yuna level 4 for her step sequences in SP and LP, Yuna would have won the gold.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Well, rather than get heated about it, I'll just quote myself... :rolleye:
I hate to have to refer to SLC 2002 again, as this just makes my French half very ashamed, but... SLC 2002!
Even when there was a real scandal with people found guilty (that wouldn't be possible that clearly today), "Both Le Gougne and Gailhaguet were eventually suspended from the sport for three years by the International Skating Union, which never made any serious investigation into the events." ... and then things came back to what they were before: Didier Gailhaguet resigned as president of the French Ice Sports Federation on 12 May 2004 (he wasn't even fired!), but was re-elected to that position in December 2007. He is considered the most likely to be the successor of Cinquanta as future President of the ISU.

So to sum it up, I'd say the ISU has a very pragmatic approach to scandals and controversies: "sit and wait, there's nothing they can do anyway". They awarded Salé/Pelletier with additional Gold Medals due to being pressured by the IOC. The ISU would have been fine with doing nothing. Their slogan should be something like:

ISU - yeah, well, what are you gonna do about it?

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I'd say she's being a tad melodramatic there. I disagree with the results but I can see how Adelina won on TES.

Frenchie

Medalist
I hate to have to refer to SLC 2002 again, as this just makes my French half very ashamed, but... SLC 2002!
Even when there was a real scandal with people found guilty (that wouldn't be possible that clearly today), "Both Le Gougne and Gailhaguet were eventually suspended from the sport for three years by the International Skating Union, which never made any serious investigation into the events." ... and then things came back to what they were before: Didier Gailhaguet resigned as president of the French Ice Sports Federation on 12 May 2004 (he wasn't even fired!), but was re-elected to that position in December 2007. He is considered the most likely to be the successor of Cinquanta as future President of the ISU.

So to sum it up, I'd say the ISU has a very pragmatic approach to scandals and controversies: "sit and wait, there's nothing they can do anyway". They awarded Salé/Pelletier with additional Gold Medals due to being pressured by the IOC. The ISU would have been fine with doing nothing. Their slogan should be something like:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I don't understand HOW Russia could've rigged it. Was Putin holding the judges' puppies hostage? Did they threaten that they'd ship them to Siberia? Did they pay them in vodka? What leverage could they have had when it's anonymous judging?

I don't agree with the result today, but I think the judges were caught up in the moment and the Russian crowd subconsciously made them tick up the PCS for the Russians. Sotnikova's TES marks were about right.

Thank god winning Olympic medals isn't everything.

That's a really, REALLY big PCS tick up.

Didn't Sotnikova score 18 pts higher for today's performance than in Euros about a month ago...That's quite an "impressive" improvement.

Frenchie

Medalist

Frenchie

Medalist

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I've lost all faith in the sport. It is just utter nonsense that Adelina got PCS that is equal to Kim and Kostner. This is not about Yuna losing the gold or dissing Adelina, who rose to the occasion and delivered a great performance.

This is about how PCS should be scored, and what this competition showed is that PCS is just too subjective and manipulative to be considered as an objective scoring tool. Despite the individual achievements of the skaters tonight, this is truly a sad day for the sport.

Manitou

Medalist
.. sad for skating
It was beautiful for skating. Yuna had no choreography. She had clean jumps, but that's all. Just random passages from jump to jump. Tango music without a tango is a complete waste.

usethis2

Medalist
I am looking at the SP and LP protocols and had Yuna received level 4 for her step sequences she would have won the gold. No idea how Adelina got level 4 (both in SP and LP, no one else did), and everybody but Yuna (Adelina, Mao, Carolina) got level 4 in LP. Yuna got level 3 in both SP and LP. The tech panel was absolutely determined.

Can't take this seriously.

Kelly

On the Ice
She was the best and deserved to win and made changes necessary to win. She dropped loop combo as second jump and improved flips with combos. She worked hard and delivered when it counted. Tarasova method of keeping skates basically the same no matter how much trouble the skater has with them and pushing them to deliver when it matters most worked. I know Tarasova was not there but she was the leader of Sotnikova's team. And whatever it was worked. It almost didn't work! The PCS of the day reflected the day and not rep. It's like when Lipinski got 5.9's in the second mark or something. People hated that too! But it happens because the performance worked! It wasn't completely perfect but even the in flaws she was undeniably on her game the whole time! It was a mission and she accomplished her mission and it was an inspirational skate.

I was thinking of Michelle and Tara at 1998 Nagano Olympics too.

Manitou

Medalist
I do one million times! It was a fantastic night with even a more fantastic outcome!
Adeline beat a very strong group of great competitors and she deserved it million times!

Yuna's choreography - terrible! How were her artistic marks higher than Adelina's?? Yuna practically DID NOT have a choreography. Was it really a tango? To me it was a random shmango, but absolutely not a tango choreo. Just random passages from a clean jump to another clean jump. And not even to the music.

Carolina was impressive assuming it was Carolina, but if Gracie had been clean in her ALL technical elements then she should have got the bronze. But even with Gracie's one fall I preferred Gracie's performance over Carolina's. But still good - it was nice to see Carolina happy at the Olympics. Good for her!

As to Yulia, no wonder! When the entire Russia all of a sudden was all over her and expecting a miracle, and that was including 150 million people, all crazy media, all the politicians including Putin himself, all historical Czars, the entire orthodox Church with its 1000 years tradition, all Russian history with Pushkin, Tolstoy and Chaikovsky, all great historical generals and heroes of the Great Patriotic War and Napoleonic Wars, all national pride of all its people multiplied by 1000 years, so when all of that was put on this little girls's tiny shoulders, no wonder she couldn't do it!!!