The Judging Controversy Thread | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

JYSkate

Rinkside
I'm glad to see Yuna had a clean skate to finish her competitive career! :) Congrats to her on silver medal. Russia winning gold was already obvious so I won't go into the inflated scores and what not lol. I'm just glad the top skaters were able to have a good experience out on the ice what a competitive atmosphere it was today ;)

Ven

Match Penalty
Ukrainian judge involved in 2002 scandal was on tonight's Ladies panel

This will go down as the blackest day in the history of figure skating, far surpassing 2002.

The judging $$$$ in these olympics was a farce, climaxing with the rigged result of the ladies event.

Judging the women's free skate on Thursday evening in Sochi is none other than Ukrainian Yuri Balkov.

Balkov, as you may remember, is the same judge who was recorded on tape - by Canadian whistle blower Jean Senft - listing the results of the pairs free dance at the Winter Olympics in Nagano before the event even took place.

His punishment for rigging an Olympic event, as handed down by the International Skating Union: A one year suspension.

Shocking. Especially for the absolute meritocracy that is figure skating.

Krislite

Medalist
Anyone still in denial about the Russians rigging the competition?

Do I hear crickets? How Adelina beat both a clean Kim and a clean Kostner is impossible to explain otherwise.

I'm happy for the performances we got today, though. And Yuna managed to skate clean back to back in her last competition. :)

lupojohn

On the Ice
Was this the biggest rip-off ever?

I'm sorry. Adelina was wonderful and she's a very pretty girl and she's Russian on home ice, but she was NOT 5.49 points better than Kim Yu-Na. One bad landing on a jump cost her the gold and a chance to repeat. There definitely was some funny business going on. The scores, though, that were given in the short were the reason there was never a chance for the podium members(not the order)to change.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
It is what it is. But I don't like it.

I'd say I'm never watching FS again but at this point that is an empty threat. I may not pay as much attention during this year's worlds though.

Ven

Match Penalty
Yuna Kim is one of the greatest figure skaters of all time, and no doubt the most competitive and clutch of all time.

The judges had clearly rigged the results, telling her she had to go out and skate perfect to win. And then with all of that pressure on her, in a hostile crowd, she still went out and skated near perfect, better than Sotnikova, who stepped out on a jump and UR another one. Her ability to perform under pressure was a testament to sport and life, and then she was robbed by corruption and everything that goes against fair play, competition, and positive life lessons.

It's the greatest travesty I've ever seen in sports in my 30 years.

Krislite

Medalist
It's a travesty alright, but it's hard for me to be so bitter when Mao, Yuna and Carolina all ended their careers with such wonderful performances today.

volk

Final Flight
Is there at least one person here who thinks Adelina deserved to win?

:laugh:

Adelina was clearly superior technically. It's the second mark that is in question. But today Kim was very tight and Adelina had more attack.

glam

On the Ice
Yes, this whole event was a big scandal. The way the judges favorited Russians during this whole competition was ridiculous. Based on the team event, I knew it all would end up like this. Sad.

mwk81

Rinkside
Not for me, nope. She just didn't do anything for me. While she skated well, she wasn't up to par with Kim or Kostner in terms of artistry, IMO

JYSkate

Rinkside
It's a travesty alright, but it's hard for me to be so bitter when Mao, Yuna and Carolina all ended their careers with such wonderful performances today.

^This. So many great performances although I feel the same about the scores. I couldn't help but see in each event how much they were trying to pull up the russian athletes as much as they could. Definitely not fair game, but Adelina did deserve an olympic medal (Bronze imo). After watching this, I feel happy that they all skated well, but also hope that future Olympics will not be held in Russia again. That being said, my favorite skaters are all retiring so I don't even know whether I will continue following this sport. ah well, it was nice while it lasted :)

mwk81

Rinkside
Certainly is a sad day for skating. Yes, Adelina had the jumps, but personally I don't think she was all that close to Kim/Kostner in terms of artistry. Those 2 were on a whole other level.

hurrah

Medalist
Adelina was great, but she did not deserve to be the OGM.

It's sad because Russia will be known as the Federation that rigs, and Adelina will be known as Putin's Chosen.