The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 102 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
what's your point? her ice coverage is justified because she gained speed in a different way?

That the images showing Yuna skated in straight lines isn't necessarily indicative of "better skating" as there are alternate explanations aside from "no pattern to the choreography" as to why Adelina's movements aren't in a straight line. Have I upset you? Are you going to suggest I stop posting again?

ngfriend

Spectator
:laugh:

Adelina was clearly superior technically. It's the second mark that is in question. But today Kim was very tight and Adelina had more attack.

Adelina Clearly had One Russian judge in her back pocket. Russians and media claiming she was technically superior than Yuna. Adelina was not 5.49 Pts more superior technically than Yuna. Yuna was perfect and graceful.. Adelina was not even close. Adelina looked like a hockey skater landing jumps.

kslr0816

On the Ice
That the images showing Yuna skated in straight lines isn't necessarily indicative of "better skating" as there are alternate explanations aside from "no pattern to the choreography" as to why Adelina's movements aren't in a straight line. Have I upset you? Are you going to suggest I stop posting again?

:lol: starting to lose your patience again

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Probably because Yuna does a lot more back crossovers to set up her jumps. She does six to set up her lutz combo. Adelina never does more than two in a row because she gains speed through more intricate steps, which might be why you don't see her moving in straight lines.

Very true. I don't know if people realize that when they talk about transitions. Those Russians know how to pack a program full of transitions and connecting steps without pausing (and Kaetlyn Osmond :thumbsup:). If the scoring was objectively broken down step-by-step, people would see that Yu-Na and Carolina should have been behind Adelina and Julia in terms of transitions. In terms of ice coverage, Yu-Na is faster and more complete which is why she deserves the edge in skating skills.

Re: ice coverage, Adelina's skating style is very Russian in that there aren't a lot of straight line setups for jumps. The Russian style is much more circular in terms of jumping. Go back and watch Adelina, Julia, Liza, Alena, Elena, etc. They approach from the side of the rink on a curve and jump to the corner, even for toe jumps. Most other skaters skate in more of a straight end-to-end pattern pattern for toe jumps and approach from the side only for edge jumps.

kslr0816

On the Ice
Very true. I don't know if people realize that when they talk about transitions. Those Russians know how to pack a program full of transitions and connecting steps without pausing (and Kaetlyn Osmond :thumbsup:). If the scoring was objectively broken down step-by-step, people would see that Yu-Na and Carolina should have been behind Adelina and Julia in terms of transitions. In terms of ice coverage, Yu-Na is faster and more complete which is why she deserves the edge in skating skills.

Re: ice coverage, Adelina's skating style is very Russian in that there aren't a lot of straight line setups for jumps. The Russian style is much more circular in terms of jumping. Go back and watch Adelina, Julia, Liza, Alena, Elena, etc. They approach from the side of the rink on a curve and jump to the corner, even for toe jumps. Most other skaters skate in more of a straight end-to-end pattern pattern for toe jumps and approach from the side only for edge jumps.

i think everyone on GS considers adelina's transitions to be better/higher valued than yuna's at least, not sure how ppl are rating carolina for the most part

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd like to chime in slightly off topic but maybe not so much. Even though I'm American I must say I find it offensive when people dismiss Russian skaters ..especially Yulia for"just flailing their arms around without purpose". While I totally disagree and quite the contrary find it more interesting than some that tend to emote soley at times through facial expressions and deep edges alone. I've worked with Russian skaters(one a former Olympian) and they have always expressed that the arms are a source of beauty and most importantly balance and power. That's fine If you don't like it! I just wish people could respectfully disagree and not be so dismissive. I get it, you have your favorites but you know what? I have mine too.:yes:

LRK

Record Breaker
i think everyone on GS considers adelina's transitions to be better/higher valued than yuna's at least, not sure how ppl are rating carolina for the most part

Just a little caveat that has nothing to do with the topic on hand: I'd be wary in assuming that "everyone on GS" agreed on... anything. Including that the moon is not made out of green cheese. ;) Just to point that out - and now... please carry on with the conversation, and don't mind me. :)

kslr0816

On the Ice
i did put in a request to rename this thread to the judging controversy thread, as evidence for an actual conspiracy are yet to be found. while i do believe a lot of the russian judges and tech panel had it in their minds to give high scores/ignore flutz, ur, general skating skill, etc., i've yet to see any evidence of an actual conspiracy plot. that might be a fine line, but a line regardless. given the scoring of the judges and what most skaters seem to consider to be very generous/inflated scores, it just seems more along the lines of overall biased judging rather than some sort of plot.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'd second that suggestion - I think "Judging Controversy" would be a better title; as it would cover both those who think there is actual cheating involved, and those who disagree with the scores on other grounds - or those who simply question them. And since there are enough people disagreeing with the scores, it is a "controversy", whether anything underhand actually went on or no. So, I for one think this an excellent idea.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Just a little caveat that has nothing to do with the topic on hand: I'd be wary in assuming that "everyone on GS" agreed on... anything. Including that the moon is not made out of green cheese. ;) Just to point that out - and now... please carry on with the conversation, and don't mind me. :)

It's not green cheese LRK, it's clearly blue cheese!! Jeez, you're so clueless! :biggrin:

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
i did put in a request to rename this thread to the judging controversy thread, as evidence for an actual conspiracy are yet to be found. while i do believe a lot of the russian judges and tech panel had it in their minds to give high scores/ignore flutz, ur, general skating skill, etc., i've yet to see any evidence of an actual conspiracy plot. that might be a fine line, but a line regardless. given the scoring of the judges and what most skaters seem to consider to be very generous/inflated scores, it just seems more along the lines of overall biased judging rather than some sort of plot.

I vote for "Judging Controversy" :)

ngfriend

Spectator

You must be blind to the evidence that's out there. i dont know What u are watching. How is it possible that Adelina Scored 5.49 pts higher than Yuna with the mistakes in her FS performance. Can u explain to the Korean people - why is Adelina hugging Russian judge after her performance. NO Russian has explained the meaning of this. To me Adelina and the Russian judge are congratulating each other for stealing the gold medal from Yuna. No judge in any professional or olympic sport does this except in Sochi Russia.

Kelly

On the Ice

Thanks for you analysis. Maybe that's why sometimes I find the Russian choreography not smooth and fluid.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've been revisiting the protocols and a few things stand out to me.

1) While I believe Caro could be called the winner here, I've seen a lot of posters here agree. The thing is her scores shot up almost 20pts since Euros in the FS too!! I'm pretty sure it was the same program minus one fall. So my point is yes even if Caro had won it would seem everyone is benefitting from a more loosely called event.
Side bar- SO GLAD CARO GOT A MEDAL!

2) Everyone is harping on Yulia too for being over scored here but she got almost an identical score to Mao at GPF who fell on her first 3a and then over rotated her next with a two foot and step out with Shin Amano as the tech controller of all people. He is notoriously brutal if I'm not mistaken. Granted that event was a splat fest but there was a lot of (e) and < all over the everyone's scores!!

I think what's most evident is the scores were a bit over inflated for everyone. Adelina took full advantage of it while the vets left a few pts on the table. Graceful and stunning as they were. I also noticed Yuna had 4 10's in the PCS scores. Adelina had 0!!!

LRK

Record Breaker
You must be blind to the evidence that's out there. i dont know What u are watching. How is it possible that Adelina Scored 5.49 pts higher than Yuna with the mistakes in her FS performance. Can u explain to the Korean people - why is Adelina hugging Russian judge after her performance. NO Russian has explained the meaning of this. To me Adelina and the Russian judge are congratulating each other for stealing the gold medal from Yuna. No judge in any professional or olympic sport does this except in Sochi Russia.

No judge has ever hugged a skater before? Ever ever ever?

Also, you are attacking the wrong person - namely ksir0816.

But then, you did say in another thread - did you not? - that you had never heard of Adelina before Sochi.... ?