The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 105 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
WOW. Everyday I log on expecting the furor to have died down, but every day there is more evidence that Adelina did not deserve to win.

Stuff is going to continue to pop up for weeks to come b/c fans are going to literally pick apart every single detail of Adelina's performance and compare it to Yu-Na's. The main thing to note is that it's not making headlines anymore. The Olympics are over and, at least in this part of the world, things have returned to normal, ie. no one cares about figure skating anymore. The fans are going to continue to make noise and protest the results but it doesn't look like it's going to have any kind of effect on the outcome.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Scores are always inflated at the Olympics. I haven't checked the results but I guarantee you nearly half of the skaters in the top 10 ended up with personal best scores. The judges are always overly generous at the Olympics and the hometown favorites are always boosted, especially if they skate well.

Speedy loved the concept that IJS allowed for World Records, while 6.0 really didn't. Where better to set things up for World Records than the Olympics? Scores have been rising all year in all disciplines. USFS had the most extreme examples, when hugely high scores were given at U.S. Nationals. However, this points out that top skaters should not have skipped Europeans (and to a lesser extent 4CCs), since they missed out on an opportunity to have their scores pumped up, which would justify still further inflation at Olympics.

Is it true that Sotnikova had never won the title in senior international competiton except OGM??

It's new history in figure skating that a skater who had not just one title suddenly won OGM at her own country.

Anna Pogorilaya beat both Carolina and Adeline at Cup of China. It makes me sad that her injuries did not allow her to skate her best at Russian Nationals- I wish she had been at Olympics.

Sarah Hughes had at least medalled at Worlds.

kslr0816

On the Ice
going back to a thought earlier, as much as i hate it - is there any way to PROVE beyond reasonable doubt that there was cheating/planned inflated scoring by the judges? We have evidence, but not PROOF. i.e., a judge's confession, e-mail/text exchanges, etc. what PROOF can we gather?

It may seem like I'm in it for Yuna from past posts but I really wouldn't "mind" Carolina winning - she just doesn't come up because she medaled bronze, but had it been silver all of this would be about Adelina vs Carolina. All I want is for the scoring to be appropriate and fair.

I mentioned before, literally everyone I've spoken with that isn't interested in figure skating simply assumes cheating went on. It's just not good for figure skating. I'll go as far as to say it would have been better for the figure skating world if Yuna had won.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
yes, but handshaking is more like, good game/respect kind of thing. this is a congratulations (right after i judged your and yours competitors' scores)

Ill admit that was a bad example but the emotion of winning a FS event could be argued to be more overwhelming than most sports games which are played much more frequently. With exceptional emotion in the Olympics but I was just playing devils advocate. I also am put off by it and agree with Mathman's resonable assessment.

whatif

Medalist
going back to a thought earlier, as much as i hate it - is there any way to PROVE beyond reasonable doubt that there was cheating/planned inflated scoring by the judges? We have evidence, but not PROOF. i.e., a judge's confession, e-mail/text exchanges, etc. what PROOF can we gather?

It may seem like I'm in it for Yuna from past posts but I really wouldn't "mind" Carolina winning - she just doesn't come up because she medaled bronze, but had it been silver all of this would be about Adelina vs Carolina. All I want is for the scoring to be appropriate and fair.

I mentioned before, literally everyone I've spoken with that isn't interested in figure skating simply assumes cheating went on. It's just not good for figure skating. I'll go as far as to say it would have been better for the figure skating world if Yuna had won.

Don't you get it? Nobody cares. Just move on already.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are delusional. In FS, there was no Korean judge and 2 of judes gave generous score to Sot. dont you see??
Ah yes I changed it to and/or . Since I put the link to both SP and FS and all the other events I took liberty and assumed both scores were in play. I should have clarified since I was only discussing FS prior.:slink:

That was also a point we agree on that two judges gave Adelina generous scores. I guess you don't see the two that gave Yuna even more generous scores. I think we actually agree if you think about it.

Actually, I am not overly exercised at the increase in scores for Adelina and especially for Caro. Kostner did not skate well this season prior to the Olympics. She never really got into her new long program, plus she made a lot of errors. At the Olympics she was amazing. No wonder her scores were 20 points higher.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Actually, I am not overly exercised at the increase in scores for Adelina and especially for Caro. Kostner did not skate well this season prior to the Olympics. She never really got into her new long program, plus she made a lot of errors. At the Olympics she was amazing. No wonder her scores were 20 points higher.

Very true. This was the first time Carolina skated that program cleanly with 7 triple jumps. She deserved a considerable hike in her scores. There's always a boost for skating well and skating cleanly and she deserved it...I'd have had her higher in PCS though.

While I don't think Adelina's scores should have been THAT high, I think she deserved a considerable hike to her scores as well seeing as that's the first time she's delivered cleanly and with that kind of content.

ngfriend

Spectator
The thing is not just Russian judge hugged with Sotnikova.
In the picture, the person right next to the Sot. and hugged is also judge panel who is from Finland.

LMAO. Btw thank u for pointing out the Fin coach for being on the fix. I guess we should let all figure skating athletes start hugging judges from their country and the countries who helped giving them get the highest scores after each every professional competition. Does this make any sense?!?! Adelina performance was bronze worthy at best. Adelina knew which judge(s) were going to give her the highest scores and celebrated with them for stealing the gold medal from Yuna.

yuki90

On the Ice
Ah yes I changed it to and/or . Since I put the link to both SP and FS and all the other events I took liberty and assumed both scores were in play. I should have clarified since I was only discussing FS prior.:slink:

That was also a point we agree on that two judges gave Adelina generous scores. I guess you don't see the two that gave Yuna even more generous scores. I think we actually agree if you think about it.

2 of gudges gave generous score to YuNa also gave generous score to Sot.
and 2 of judges who gave 9.5 9.75 9.75 9.95.. to Sot. gave 7 to YuNa.

Dont you get it??? these 2 judges gave 157 and 156 to Sot. and gave 131 and 132 to YuNa.

not just these two.

whatif

Medalist
people do care, including you apparently. enough to defend adelina in every post you can, which is fine. this is a forum to express opinion.

Adelina needs no defending. She is the Olympic Champion and will forever be as such no matter how much you lose sleep over it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Maybe the ISU should change the rules so that the only judges on the panel have to be from countries that do no have a skater in the competition.

That could lead to a panel of very unqualified judges. They would all essentially be from South America, Africa, and the Middle East. Although it would be funny to have an Olympic FS judge from a country without a single ice rink :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
people do care, including you apparently. enough to defend adelina in every post you can, which is fine. this is a forum to express opinion.

I think what complicates this is the fact that scoring in the PCS department is subjective. Even in TES by way of GOE. So unfortunately in a closely disputed event as such there are two or three victory stories to be told. The problem seems to be people are only seeing one and dismissing the rest. The circumstantial evidence is there to fuel the fire too. Bottom line is..believe what you want. Do what you can. And be respectful while doing it. You seem to understand this and I admire that.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
I agree they both skated better than they did before. But, what about the virtual three-way tie coming out of the short programs? What is the statistical probability that the judges perception of the quality of these three skaters' performance was basically identical, separated only by fractional points? It's gotta be very very slim. IMO it reeks of human intervention in the matters of numbers.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2 of gudges gave generous score to YuNa also gave generous score to Sot.
and 2 of judges who gave 9.5 9.75 9.75 9.95.. to Sot. gave 7 to YuNa.

Dont you get it??? these 2 judges gave 157 and 156 to Sot. and gave 131 and 132 to YuNa.

not just these two.
The judges scores are randomized to my understanding...so the third column judge in Adelina's is not the third column in Yuna's. Am I wrong here? I'm not that knowledgable in the protocols as some but I thought this was the case.

yuki90

On the Ice
The judges scores are randomized to my understanding...so the third column in Adelina's is not the third column in Yuna's. I'm I wrong here? I'm not that knowledges in the protocols as some but I thought this was the case.
It is same judge. Do you really know about figure skating??

you didnt know that it is all same judge .....wow...

kslr0816

On the Ice
I think what complicates this is the fact that scoring in the PCS department is subjective. Even in TES by way of GOE. So unfortunately in a closely disputed event as such there are two or three victory stories to be told. The problem seems to be people are only seeing one and dismissing the rest. The circumstantial evidence is there to fuel the fire too. Bottom line is..believe what you want. Do what you can. And be respectful while doing it. You seem to understand this and I admire that.

Thanks - what I was getting at before that was, nothing can actually be done, can it? No matter the outcry, etc., the ISU has guarded itself well from future conspiracy (but not controversy :) ) with the way things are. No proof (not evidence) can be had, it seems.