The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 11 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

vegarin

On the Ice
What about Yuna's PCS rise in 2010? It was the same like Sotnikova's this time.

That took more than two years, after bringing home gold, silver and bronze for every competition she's ever been in. Not two months.

Oh, and let me tell you. During a year and half coming up to the Worlds and eventually in Vancouver, Yuna lost once, to Mao, and once only, and it was at the GPF that was taking place AT HER OWN COUNTRY. Her PCS didn't skyrocket conveniently for the Olympics that takes place in her own home country. :rolleye:

mateusp1

On the Ice

I will not sign because the petition mainly focus on Yuna. I think the petition should also focus on Carolina. Carolina and Yuna both were better than Adelina. So, why only give the focus to Yuna? If justice needs to happen, it needs to happen for both Carolina and Yuna. Also for Mao and Ashley who were both low balled.

Ashley score was very low. I was expecting 130+.

hurrah

Medalist
She would have, if not for the UR calls and gross PCS undermarking. I mean, JULIA beat her with a fall and a UR stepout. More than Sotnikova having PCS on par with Kim, that to me was the most grievous scoring. Same with Julia's SP. I think Julia is a great talent, but she should be lower than Mao, and arguably behind Wagner.

I had a careful look at her toe loop, and I don't think it was under-rotated. Neither was the loop. The one that was closest was the axel, actually, and that was at the 1/4 line. I suppose Russia never intended to let Mao win, no matter what. So much so that they had to destroy her 8-triple program, even though she wouldn't have won anyway over all. It was such an ungenerous gesture on their part to call two perfectly rotated triples as under-rotations.

bekalc

Record Breaker
That took more than two years, after bringing home gold, silver and bronze for every competition she's ever been in. Not two months.

Oh, and let me tell you. During a year and half coming up to the Worlds and eventually in Vancouver, Yuna lost once, to Mao, and once only, and it was at the GPF that was taking place AT HER OWN COUNTRY. Her PCS didn't skyrocket conveniently for the Olympics that takes place in her own home country. :rolleye:

Kim's PCS took a major leap in her first year as a Senior. She got higher PCS than Meissner with a flawed performance her first year.

Once again, my question to those who are saying Kim should have won. Well Okay, but can you say for sure that Kim really deserved that too, because there are quite a lot of people actually wuz robbing Kostner too. In the battle of artistry its not clear that Kim wins that.

So the judges went with the technical skater. Adelina absolutely DID more technically than Kostner and Kim.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is getting sad! We need to separate ourselves from the emotions before making such biased and unfair statements. I'd like a petition to ban the people who have near 100% negative posts. Mao took a horrible score like a winner! She bounced back like a champion and showed thru character how to not be defeated. Sorry but I would have put Yuna in 3rd. She just didnt fight. Too subdued to steal the show. I'd have it between Adelina and Caro. :slink:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
There are at least 2 people that I know of: Plushenko, Putin

Yagudin also:biggrin:

and me..for me Carolina's performance was the best..but Yuna was better technically and Adelina was the best technically..But I don't think Adelina was better with more than 5 points.

MiRé

Match Penalty
I'd rather have a petition to remove Ice dancing, Pairs, and individual/Team figure skating from the Olympics.

GF2445

Record Breaker
This is just wrong. How in the world did she get those component marks. There is something blatantly wrong.

SXTN

Final Flight
That Adelina has won is not the problem- it's more she has won by a margin. With a 3Lz (e)-3T (<) that wasn't called and with GOE all over the place.

Let alone the PCS..... TES Adelina= Yuna > Carolina, but PCS Yuna > Carolina > Adelina.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kim's PCS took a major leap in her first year as a Senior. She got higher PCS than Meissner with a flawed performance her first year.

Once again, my question to those who are saying Kim should have won. Well Okay, but can you say for sure that Kim really deserved that too, because there are quite a lot of people actually wuz robbing Kostner too. In the battle of artistry its not clear that Kim wins that.

So the judges went with the technical skater. Adelina absolutely DID more technically than Kostner and Kim.

Very logical conclusions. I think some people need to take a deep breath and get away from this for a while before speaking. Apparently you're not one of them. :bow:

NineTails

Rinkside
I want to see a good rebuttal to the following post:

I have just quickly computed the PCS for some of the ladies for this season and there are some findings that raise questions about the credibility of the judging:think:
3 ladies are particularly interesting to compare since they have competed in 2 GP in the GP final and in sochi and have skated the same programs (Kostner and Wagner for instance have changed their programs and thus it more difficult to make comparisons); these are Asada, Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia
The average PCS for the 2 GP and GP final were as follows:
Asada: 69.52
Sotn. 61.81
Lipn. 61.68

The PCS in Sotchi were as follows:
Asada: 69.68
Sotn. 74.41
Lipn. 70.06

So the differences between Sotchi and the GP are:
Asada: + 0.16
Sotn. +12.73
Lipn. +8.38

Yes......I don't think much needs to be said Whereas Asada was well ahead of the Russians girls in December, 2 months later she was considered a worse skater than Sotn. and Lipn. I wonder how confusing, frustrating, disappointing, etc. this must be for a skater.
It would be interesting to take Sotnikova's performances in December and the one in Sochi and have judges tell us where we can see a 12.73 point improvement :laugh:

To say that judging was not the biggest factor in the outcome tonight sounds very biased to me. Not just the PCS either. There are lot of instances where I and others think Adelina got overscored in GOE. Both PCS and GOE tampering is so unfair to the skaters.

Edited/Added portion below:

That was over a season. Adelina HUGE bump came within like a month. Huge difference.

I agree that Adelina did more technically but that should not make up the clear advantage in PCS that both Yuna and Carolina had over Adelina just a month ago.

Manitou

Medalist
I'd rather have a petition to remove Ice dancing, Pairs, and individual/Team figure skating from the Olympics.

This!

And I am sure there will be more people willing to sign a petition to remove Ice Dance from the Olympics than those willing to sign this garbage.

yogacat

Spectator
I will not sign because the petition mainly focus on Yuna. I think the petition should also focus on Carolina. Carolina and Yuna both were better than Adelina. So, why only give the focus to Yuna? If justice needs to happen, it needs to happen for both Carolina and Yuna. Also for Mao and Ashley who were both low balled.

Ashley score was very low. I was expecting 130+.

This!

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
This Is Basically What Happened (Must Read)

Carolina was robbed of an Olympic Gold Medal.

She skated a perfect and inspired long program to Bolero that deserved to win. The program had everything- the jumps (big, & effortless), the music, the dress, the choreography, the fire. This was the best long program, and competition, of her life- 7 beautiful triple jumps (little shaky on the triple loop) and a double axel. Some judges rewarded her and gave her 7 perfects 10’s for her Program Component Score. Other judges, however, did not. They did not give her high Grades of Execution on her jumps on the Technical Component Score and they gave her a lot of 8’s and even a 7 for her Program Component Score. It’s devastating to think a clean and great Bolero by Carolina lost in both the Technical & Program Components to Adelina and Yu Na. To add insult to injury, the camera angle used by NBCSN for her skate was terrible, not more so than during the step sequence, the climax of the program, where all the drama and tension of the skate built, was inevitably lost to some idiot who decided to follow her from the other side of the rink instead of from the judges’ point of view.

Getting back to the judging, it’s not Adelina’s fault. Nobody is saying that. I’m sure she’s a lovely girl but the outcome was not right. It must be said that Adelina was the only of the top 3 that had a noticeable error in the long program and yet the Grade of Execution for all her elements was literally out of this world. She skated to an old and tired long program that she’s been parading around the senior circuit for years. In fact, it was her long program when she was a junior!!! Yes ladies and gentleman- in this day and age a junior ladies long program won the Olympic Gold Medal that is how corrupt the judging was. To be honest with you, I believe Adelina knows she was gifted the gold- she would have been just as happy to win a justified bronze medal at the Olympic Games in her home country than a gold medal that will forever go down as tainted and marred. Blame the judges who are not supposed to be swayed by the location of an event or by a boisterous and disrespectful Russian home crowd. Blame them, not Adelina.

Eveyrything was a joke- a complete and utter joke. Starting from the judge’s scores in the short program and culminating with the judge’s scores in the long program. The commentators tried to justify the win for Adelina but the general public is not as stupid as the network would like us to be. Since no American was directly affected by the judging the network must have told the commentators to ‘justify it’ which I’m sure they jumped at in order to push their own agenda- Johnny Weir had no problem since he has always been in love with Russia and Tara Lipinsky also had not problem since she did the same thing Adelina did at the 1998 Olympics in Nagano where she skated a technically difficult program and defeated a perfect Michelle Kwan who had also been light years away from her in artistry and presentation.

It was nice to see Carolina be the bigger person at the end and go to Adelina and congratulate her on her win backstage. Carolina is loved by all in the skating world, but apparently not by Russians and certainly no by certain judges. On the other hand, it was sad to see Yu Na be a terrible sportswoman and not hug or kiss Carolina on her way to the podium- you could see Carolina’s disappointment. Carolina is and will always be my favorite athlete of all time. She has all the gifts any figure skater could ever want. The road at times was hard but she always persevered, kept going and stayed true to herself and to her love of the sport and in the process given figure skating fans beautiful and memorable programs we can look back on for years to come- her Afternoon of a Faun program comes to mind. She is a 7 time National Champion, Grand Prix Final Champion, 5 time European Champion, World champion and now an Olympic medalist in addition to winning many other medals at top international events. I hope she goes to World’s next month and continues to skate for the love of skating. I would be terribly sad to see her leave amateur competition since there has not been a Professional circuit for the past 15 years- she is so gifted it would be sad to say goodbye. She just get’s better and better and this event is the best she has ever looked- proving her critics who believed her peak was 2 years ago wring. Please don’t retire Carolina.

To sum it up, these Olympic Games were rigged from the start and everyone in the skating world, except in Russia, should be outraged. The blame needs to go to Ottavio Cinquanta, president of the Interantional Skating Union, for not addressing this issue with judges before the Olympic Games even started- funny enough he is Italian like Kostner. Anybody who knows anything about figure skating will tell you that a clean Adelina Sotnikova should never beat a clean Carolina Kostner or Yu Na Kim. Never. I hope something comes out of these Olympic Games and people speak up and voice their outrage publicly so a ripple affect can take place and force change to happen. Any way you cut it, cheating has taken place.

On another note, I will be giving away a couple Russian articles of clothing I have in my closet if anyone wants to swing by and pick them up.

lavender

Record Breaker
The petition should focus on more skaters. It would better if it focus on more than just Yuna.

Yu na, Carolina and Mao's skate should be ahead of Adelina.
Ashley's skate should be ahead of Julia.

sleepymom

Rinkside
Give me a break. Kim is much better skater than Meissner, and her PCS increase in her first year is about 5 point in each segment. Adelina's getting increase of 9 just in SP, and wooping 14 point increase in FP. If that's not fishy for you, I think you have a blind spot.

ks777

Record Breaker
Adelina's jumps were big with great landing flow today. Yuna and Carolina were good too but they skated caustiously.. For me, Mao should have won the FS but overall, Adelina was great. I don't have any complaints. Yuna shouldn't have been expecting to win with 6 triples. This is the Olympics, you gotta risk and go for everything. I don't think Yuna did that. She probably thought she could easily win with 6 triples as long as she didn't make a mistake. Well, She was wrong. I do agree that Caroline's score should have been higher since she did 7 triples.