The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 12 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

s_parks

Record Breaker
The petition should focus on more skaters. It would better if it focus on more than just Yuna.

Yu na, Carolina and Mao's skate should be ahead of Adelina.
Ashley's skate should be ahead of Julia.

Did you read the bottom of the petition?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want to see a good rebuttal to the following post:

To say that judging was not the biggest factor in the outcome tonight sounds very biased to me. Not just the PCS either. There are lot of instances where I and others think Adelina got overscored in GOE. Both PCS and GOE tampering is so unfair to the skaters.

I think maybe you need to actually watch all the skates and not just look at the numbers. Different judges, different fields, bring different marks. There will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be pcs bumps in the last group. Scores are going to trend up. That much is apparent. The consolation I take is in the fact that the girl who fought the hardest tonight won. I could make a case for all of them winning. Don't see the point. ADELINA won due largely to her TES and mostly due to her heart! She really is a beautiful skater and top notch jumper. Forget your favorites and the biases that come and learn to appreciate who I say is as deserving of a gold as anyone. I'd just say congratulations Adelina...you really put it all out there. I can respect that.

vegarin

On the Ice
Give me a break. Kim is much better skater than Meissner, and her PCS increase in her first year is about 5 point in each segment. Adelina's getting increase of 9 just in SP, and wooping 14 point increase in FP. If that's not fishy for you, I think you have a blind spot.

:thumbsup:

usethis2

Medalist
I finally watched the full FS on DVR and there is no way I would accept Adelina's score as just, let alone topping Yuna. Yuna's last lutz was slightly less than her usual quality but still there was no wobbling or stepping out. Her emotions and choreo was full on display as well as musicality. I won't dissect Adelina's performance here but Yuna's performance was as good as ladie's skating can get. No one skated better than Yuna in FS. Don't even start with the SP where Yuna clearly was the best performer with highest TES.

BrentWolgamott

Rinkside
All three medalists had beautiful skates today, and I would have been okay with any one of them winning.

I think it is unfair to Adelina to have all this vitriol tossed at her.

THANK YOU!!!! Finally someone with some common sense. Judging is subjective. Anyone of the 3 women deserved to win. I would have also been ok with any of them winning.

Adelina was the strongest technically, IMO. Carolina also did 7 triples, but she did two triple toes (and a gazillion doubles) and two triple Salchows. She also had NO triple-triple combinations. Adelina had the HARDEST combo being done (3Lutz/3toe), with two Flips and 5 different triples. Yuna DID also have the 3Lutz/3toe, along with a second Lutz, but only 6 triple jumps, and only 4 types of triples. If she does even one more triple, like a triple Flip and tack on a double toe, she's Olympic Champion (again).

I think the judges got it right. Nothing to see here...moving on.

jkun

Final Flight
I was pulling for Yuna to win her 2nd gold, then I watched Carolina's performance initially thinking there would be no chance in hell she could do a clean free. I thought her skate was great, she got a little nervous on some jumps, but I thought that her performance would be unbeatable. I was completely fine with her winning Gold. In fact I thought it would be interesting to see how judges compared Yuna and Carolina's clean programs. Regardless of 6 triple vs 7 triple, they have virtually same TES.

And then Adelina's score came up. I was completely shocked by the score. I thought she would get somewhere around 141 at best even considering Russian inflation. SOMEHOW they had the balls to score her higher in PCS than Carolina?? That's when I knew the competition was finished

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Oh just shut the hell up sky fly no one one this board likes you so just get lost. Signed and shared on my facebook :)

vegarin

On the Ice
Ironically, Johnny Weir doesn't think so:biggrin:

He did think so in SP, that judges were "very generous" with Adelina's score the moment it came up. He backtracked that pretty quickly later on. That was also fishy.

yuki90

On the Ice
Robin Cousins, Kurt Browning, Katarina Witt and even Dick button thinks YuNa sould win the OGM.

Im sure many of figures and experts except Russians in figure skating thought YuNa is a true champion.

usethis2

Medalist
She would have, if not for the UR calls and gross PCS undermarking. I mean, JULIA beat her with a fall and a UR stepout. More than Sotnikova having PCS on par with Kim, that to me was the most grievous scoring. Same with Julia's SP. I think Julia is a great talent, but she should be lower than Mao, and arguably behind Wagner.

How hilarious. I couldn't believe that after watching the FS so I went to double check and you are right! Holy wow. Mao did not even get 70 PCS with that performance while Yulia get 70.. Russia really went the full length.

Ven

Match Penalty
Oh just shut the hell up sky fly no one one this board likes you so just get lost. Signed and shared on my facebook :)

Thank you! Just want to say I thought Mao skated beautiful today, she really deserved to be scored higher. 8 clean triples and a 3A and she was lowballed too behind Julia. Such a joke.

NineTails

Rinkside
I think maybe you need to actually watch all the skates and not just look at the numbers. Different judges, different fields, bring different marks. There will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be pcs bumps in the last group. Scores are going to trend up. That much is apparent. The consolation I take is in the fact that the girl who fought the hardest tonight won. I could make a case for all of them winning. Don't see the point. ADELINA won due largely to her TES and mostly due to her heart! She really is a beautiful skater and top notch jumper. Forget your favorites and the biases that come and learn to appreciate who I say is as deserving of a gold as anyone. I'd just say congratulations Adelina...you really put it all out there. I can respect that.

I'm talking about the PCS bump over a month period. Are you telling me Adelina improved her PCS skating by ~10 points within a month? If all skaters got around the 10 point bump, I would not be here right now. Clearly Adelina got the biggest bump by FAR. Not just her PCS, her GOE to me were were rewarded higher also.

gmyers

Record Breaker
What? How do you know which nationalities gave what?? Were they the judges that were paid off and you happen to be in a position to know this?? Otherwise, why else for such an odd remark. Judging is supposed to be anonymous, right?

Lol. Look at the protocol! Even without names you see every judge have sotnikova great goe.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Thank you! Just want to say I thought Mao skated beautiful today, she really deserved to be scored higher. 8 clean triples and a 3A and she was lowballed too behind Julia. Such a joke.

To me THIS was the biggest joke of the night.
Nothing against the hard working Julia. But her basic skating skills are nowhere as near as Yuna/Caro/Mao. You only have to look at how many times she has to stroke to cover the same distance. And the GOEs for her jumps are just plain wrong.