The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 15 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

usethis2

Medalist
Not only Adelina wasn't clean, she missed so many notes in the music I stopped counting. It was clear that she was trying to catch up to the music almost throughout the routine. But that didn't stop her getting 9.50 for Choreo and 9.43 for Interpretation.

You've got to be kidding me.

Ven

Match Penalty
Sotnikova stumbled over on a jump, a clear mistake. Yuna almost did, but she fought and held on.

jehan215

On the Ice
Not only Adelina wasn't clean, she missed so many notes in the music I stopped counting. It was clear that she was trying to catch up to the music almost throughout the routine. But that didn't stop her getting 9.50 for Choreo and 9.43 for Interpretation.

You've got to be kidding me.

My thought exactly. She's busy going from one jump to another. Not stopping in between the music to show some emotions. It's not an acrobatic competiton - it's figure skating, for heaven's sake!

Barb

Record Breaker
I follow the sport since 2007, and it was enough time to realize that figure skating is very controversial, easily corrupt, but it is not new. I hope people understand figure skating is like that, we dont should to expect too much, it is absurd, how many years more we need? Figure sktating always was like that and it will be forever. it is a beautiful sport. It is not like the problem was today only, always has been like this. In fact because of that the forums exist, each competition we are always discussing the same, "she/he should to win", "no, she/he should to win", "no...." , we are doing always the same, ALWAYS.

miki88

Medalist
I think Carolina deserved to win. Adelina and Yuna performed more difficult combinations but Kostner had the skate of her life (7 triples) and the best programs artistically out of the medalists.

skatingfan20

Rinkside
The question is would Adelina won the gold medal if the Olympics were held anywhere else? No, she wouldn't. How could the panel have been so fixed. How was a judge caught for fixing at the Olympics in Sochi? Why was the wife of the Russian Skating Fed president judging?

If Julia skated clean and won gold, no one would have asked any questions. But for Adelina, who would have no hope for anything but a Bronze anywhere else, to win the gold is very telling. How deep does the corruption and fixing run? The sad thing is this is probably just going to start an era of fixing in women's figure skating.

jehan215

On the Ice
I wondered where Russia spent all those billions on. As if disgusting hotels and incomplete infrastructures weren't enough!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This will actually ruin her career because she got such a big reward, perhaps the biggest reward that a competitive figure skater can ever receive, with such controversy, no one is really sure why she won.

Anyone who can do basic math does not find this controversial. As Scoot Hamilton said, she checks off all the boxes she needs to earn the big points.

fahrenheit290

Rinkside
Quick question: What happened to judges leaving room for later skaters?

There's no way humanly possible that Yuna could have matched Adelina's score, a flawed skate that is mere points away from Yuna's WR in Vancouver. Yuna wasn't competing against her past performances...she was competing against Carolina and Adelina. Even if the Russian had more energy, the inflated scoring was ridiculous.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wow that petitition is filling up fast. It will be close to a million by the time it is done probably. The only thing I dont like about it was that it didnt mention Kostner more who was also robbed by the fixed win of Sotnikova.

Ven

Match Penalty
Wow that petitition is filling up fast. It will be close to a million by the time it is done probably. The only thing I dont like about it was that it didnt mention Kostner more who was also robbed by the fixed win of Sotnikova.

At the bottom it says the petition is for all skaters.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
At the bottom it says the petition is for all skaters.

OK sorry, thanks for that. Really all figure skaters have been robbed at these Olympics in all disciplines. Even the ones who didnt deserve a higher place or deserve to beat said Russian in various events the results were fixed for (or the ones who worked with the Russians to fix results for their skaters). They were robbed of a remotedly fair competition, even for figure skating standards, and that is saying something. This might as well have been Rythmic gymnastics.

usethis2

Medalist
One judge gave Yuna 7.75 in Transition. That judge gave Yuna 8.50 / 7.75 / 8.75 / 8.25 / 8.75 for her PCS. This is the lowest marks I've seen Yuna received by a judge in a loooooooooooong time.