Page 170 of 271 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 220 270 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 4051

Thread: The Judging Controversy Thread

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    People believe what they want to believe, and if they are responding only to official statements, they will often simply ignore the statements. But to see Scott cuddling with his girlfriend...well, what's that they say about a picture being worth 1000 words?
    You're missing my point ... but I won't take the thread further OT.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    In a close competition, psychology might play a part. But the gap between clean Kim and Sotnikova with a mistake is so large that only willful conspiracy could close that gap.

1. Sotnikova's jumps were not downgraded as they clearly should have been.

2. Three ladies experienced indiscriminate rise in PCS ... Sotnikova, Lipnitskaia, Gold. Even Julia's mistake riddled free skate received higher PCS than Asada!

3. The panel indiscriminately closed the PCS gap between the top ladies and the Russians+Gold.

4. The number of +3s given out to Julia (more than clean Kim and Kostner combined!) is clearly inaccurate.
    1) I agree, and the tech panel should have had someone who was tough but fair like Shin Amano.

2) Their PCS was much lower for radically different programs and their PCS was too low to begin with, however, I agree that the current amount was ridiculous and Adelina's was insanity. When too high PCS of 33/69 becomes 36/75. something is seriously wrong. However PCS according to ISU regulations is never to be punished by isolated jump errors, especially when there was only two. Ex: Carolina had two falls, and at least two other errors in the FS at Euros,nevertheless she received 71 PCS even higher than she's received at other competitions. Mao also enjoyed a remarkable raising of PCS from 64 to 69 last season.

3) In the FS Gracie skated significantly better components-wise, and Julia was two points too high and Addelina at least 6 points too high, but PCS is really just numbers pulled out of thin air, sometimes.

4)I would just quibble about the four Yulia received on jumps, three of which were discarded, but they all still should have been +2s at the most. The real problem is the +3 Caro and Yuna didn't receive. The rest of the +3s Yulia received on spins which she fully deserves, with a few on the ChSq and one on level 3 steps (which was also discarded, but the remainder were all +2s). I don't think anyone can argue with those, only with the four +3 received for jumps.

Custom Title
    Fascinating articles thanks! IF what the articles claims are true that Putin bought their way into hosting the Sochi games 2014, I can't help but to notice at the ironic twist of fate how it all turned out in the end.

The insidethegames article stated it comes down to a close votes of 51 to 47; just 4 votes difference is what separate them with favourite candidate city PyeongChang. Had it been a fair contest, Olympics would have taken place in Pyeongchang 2014 instead of 2018. Then for sure we will have a different podium finish.

Yet at Sochi 2014 - against all the odds, all 3 world champions ladies put out career best FS on the day and went practically clean (what are the chances of that ever happening in this sport?! Let alone at the Olympics?!), particularly Kim with her high benchmark scores who drew last to skate! This means to ensure a gold for the Russians, a tainted judge panel will have to put up all stops to ensure the score is so high and out of reach, and in doing so risks higher chance of being exposed. They put out 149, 148 was Kim last WC score. Had the 3 ladies faltered in anyway and skated earlier and Sotnikova skate last, the score wouldn't need to be high as 149 but something like 139/140, then whole thing could have been swept under the carpet and nobody would be asking any questions. Kostner's previous highest PB in FS at a major international skating competition was 131.03 at WC 2013. Mao's incredible 8 triples program will certainly to be targeted like Kim's was with lower GOEs and PCS, they will find some way (Her PB was 136.33 NHK 2013) .

The funny thing is had Yuna Kim not succeeded in Vancouver in such spectacular fashion putting out her 1st clean back to back skate of her career set up extreme record at 150, she wouldn't be as effective to win the bid for PyeongChang 2018 for Korea that maybe rightfully theirs in 2014. She could have retired, she could have been a more selfish person and not help Korea in anyway, yet she came back and did 148 at WC2013 despite the changed rules after Vancouver that greatly disadvantaged skaters without a 3loop. Had she not skated brilliantly as she did here and still lost by 5 points, then nobody will be asking any of these questions and investigate into the dark past of this sport. Afterall, no skater in this sport has a larger fan base than Kim including the attentions of members of the international press, largely due to Vancouver. Funny how the Olympic Gods worked this one out.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    2. Frank complained about Gracie' s scores after the Team. Frank does not let go of that kind of grudge. Over 30 years later he is still complaining about Linda Fratianne' s scores. I would suggest that Gracie' s PCS went up for just that reason: to placate Frank and head trouble off at the pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Gosh, I hope not. I would hope that the judges would not give out phony scores just because someone's coach makes a grumpy face.
    I had also been wondering about this. I remember how Gracie was lowballed compared to Julia during the team event LP segment. Frank complained about it afterwards. And then at the individual competition, it seemed Julia and Gracie's scores became comparable.

Maybe this shows how Frank really knows how to play the politics of the competition. He probably thought shutting up would serve his skater no purpose, although of course he didn't look good doing so.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by usethis2 View Post
    Thanks for those! I found this in the suggested list, it's Adelina & Yuna's free skate, side-by-side, birds eye view:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFuocB9GHE

Quote Originally Posted by I♥Yuna View Post
    Thanks for those! I found this in the suggested list, it's Adelina & Yuna's free skate, side-by-side, birds eye view:
    I have tried to stay out of the conspiracy arguments. But that is night and day.

On the Ice
    v

Wow, the speed and the ice coverage by Yuna is amazing. She made Adelina look slow.

Custom Title
    The ice coverage is not even comparable... Yuna's choreography and skating only looks "slow" because she does it so effortlessly. Maybe she should have been more frantic and not composed like somebody else..

how did Adelina get a StSq4 and Yuna a 3..... . .. . .

On the Ice
    katarina and kurt know their **** alright.
    Last edited by karkit; 03-02-2014 at 11:23 AM.

I have tried to stay out of the conspiracy arguments. But that is night and day.
    Yeah. Looking at it just makes me mad.

Banned
    Welcome aboard Mathman, glad to have you on the side of truth.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jkun View Post
    The ice coverage is not even comparable... Yuna's choreography and skating only looks "slow" because she does it so effortlessly. Maybe she should have been more frantic and not composed like somebody else..

how did Adelina get a StSq4 and Yuna a 3..... . .. . .
    Also Yuna's music was slower in tempo than Adelina's - what do people expect? Move like crazy like Adelina did to Adios Nonino?

Banned
    Since the competition was rigged I don't think it matters how fast they skated, ice coverage, music, temp, none of it mattered. All the Russian girls had to do was stay upright to finish 1-2.

Custom Title
    Soaked with controversy - not exactly illegal but definitely cheating:

Sochi 2014: Russia Winter Olympics 'gas' claims investigated

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/26369004

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
    Soaked with controversy - not exactly illegal but definitely cheating:

Sochi 2014: Russia Winter Olympics 'gas' claims investigated

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/26369004
    In Germany a WDR documentry was shown and Jens Weinreich posted some interesting facts on his blog (English and German language)

http://www.eissport-magazin.de/

Go to "mehr..." Information....

Page 170 of 271 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 220 270 ... LastLast