The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 173 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

ILuvYuna

On the Ice
^ I guess nevermind, too (i saw it before you got rid of it :laugh:)

I usually feel like a dope when people post videos and say, see? That jump was under-rotated by 110 degrees. That edge flopped over to the inside at the last moment, their reverse lasso lift was held too long. We won't even get into, was that a counter or a rocker (a what?). :)

LOL I hear you. I want to learn all about it, but there's so many details! That's why I'm only focusing on ladies for now :p

It was a fine performance, though. I don't blame Sotnikova fans for being proud of her. I am, too.

It was a gutsy performance. She had been inconsistent through the season, lost the limelight to her teammate, and after Yulia faltered in the short, all of the pressure was on Adelina to bring it home, and she did - she put her heart into it, skated her best, and won a medal. I just don't think it should have been gold. oh well lol.

cooper

Medalist
It was 16 years ago! Name one instance of controversy he was invovled in since.

Does it make him a head of anything? Or is it an honorary title you guys made up?

you're kidding right?? a cheater SHOULD NOT be part of the judging panel again! where's the accountability or transparency with that?!? you just basically saying that it's okay and just shrug it off.. :rolleye:

I♥Yuna;890369 said:
^ I guess nevermind, too (i saw it before you got rid of it :laugh:)

I looked for a reference on line, but the only thing I found was the last time I posted this on Golden Skate. :laugh: I think it's true, though; but maybe I made it up and then forgot. :)

Nadya

On the Ice
you're kidding right?? a cheater SHOULD NOT be part of the judging panel again! where's the accountability or transparency with that?!? you just basically saying that it's okay and just shrug it off.. :rolleye:
I see that English isn't your first language so I am going to say this slowly and without frills:

It is inaccurate to describe a panel as "headed" by any one particular judge since all judges on the panel have equal weight, and no one judge is a "head" of the panel.

Was that clear or do you need me to draw a picture?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If you really the likes of Shekhovtseva and Balkov have equal weights with other judges you either: a)started watching figure skating only at the Olympics, b) are the dumbest human being alive.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If you really the likes of Shekhovtseva and Balkov have equal weights with other judges you either: a)started watching figure skating only at the Olympics, b) are the dumbest human being alive.

PT is absolutely right. They actually get to submit scores on behalf of the judges from CAN, ITA, JPN, FRA, and GER (among others). All of whom scored Adelina very high.

Nadya

On the Ice
"If you really the likes"? What does that even mean?

Clearly, there's lots of people who are dumber than me.

capcomeback

On the Ice
It's not about what "average" is, it's about meeting the well-defined criteria. She had a difficult entrance on the opening flip, none of her other entrances were especially difficult. Difficult entrance is 1 bullet point. Height is 1 bullet points. That's +1 GOE. GOE is not a general impression score, it's for meeting defined criteria which Adelina does not meet. This is not a criticism, it's really difficult to reach +2. I'm curious, what 4 features of the 8 defined criteria do you believe Adelina meets to deserve +2 on her jumps? I'd say only her opening flip and 3Lo deserve +2. (Under the criteria, +3 is nearly impossible for any skater, so I'm not going to take seriously any argument that argues Adelina deserves +3s).

This might be the post of the day. Judges should not give 3 GOEs away on jumps (or spins, footwork or turns for that matter either) like candy. If I'm counting right, Adelina had fifteen 3s on jumps (fourteen were awarded by three judges). These scores in essence should reflect that the jumps were virtually perfect (which none of them were). Additionally, Adelina traveled on a sit spin, yet got a number of 3s.

In this case, it really appeared that several of these judges ignored ISU scoring standards to award the hometown girl(s) any possible advantage they could. Skater should be allowed to chase points, but judges should not be allowed to simply give them away.

caelum

On the Ice
PT is absolutely right. They actually get to submit scores on behalf of the judges from CAN, ITA, JPN, FRA, and GER (among others). All of whom scored Adelina very high.

You are aware vote trading is rampant in figure skating right? This isn't some revelation, it's well-documented. Figure skating is a corrupt sport. It's that simple. In my view, the only time you can ever be confident in the fairness of a result is if it's a blowout and it's just too implausible to fix the results. Pre-2002 we had two distinct blocs with well-documented rampant nationalistic bias and vote trading - they were US, Canada, Germany, Italy in one corner and France, Poland, Russia and Ukraine in another. We had judges from France, Russia, Ukraine, Estonia and Slovakia - we basically have the old bloc here. Couple that with the other bloc of Germany, Italy, and Canada wanting to hold down Kim and Asada in favor of Kostner, and possibly Gold (I'd be willing to place money on the nationalities of the three rather generous judges for Kostner). I'm pretty confident if Kostner had decent jumps (her second half jumps were, if I'm being generous, average) and passable spins at least 3 judges would have scored her higher than Sotnikova and Kim. I'm sorry, but I cannot respect a panel that consists of France, Russia, Ukraine, Estonia, and Slovakia. I might throw in Japan here as potentially problematic, but not for the same reason (I don't feel like opening up that can of worms). To be clear, I'd be just as suspicious if I saw a panel of US, Canada, Germany, and Italy with Carolina Kostner beating Sotnikova or Kim by 5-6 points. We have far too much evidence of vote trading, and not just anecdotal stuff, solid statistical analysis published in peer-review journals, to take a panel like this seriously. Granted, most of this is pre-2002 evidence since ridiculous anonymous judging makes it difficult to statistically tease this stuff out, but there is no reason to suspect anything has changed. Barring serious reform (which is what is needed), the judging panels should be intentionally selected to inhibit the traditional voting blocs.

Again, I'm not saying whether the result is "correct" or not. I'm just saying this is a very naive way of thinking about figure skating judging, arguably the most corrupt judged sport.

Nadya

On the Ice
Was this post really necessary? Who cares if someone said the panel was "headed" by someone? The point made is valid: that cheating judges should be banned for life. And judges with conflicts shouldn't be on a judging panel.

You're welcome to your own opinion. I rather enjoy correcting people who make mistakes.

You are conflating two entirely separate points:

1. Cheating judges should be banned.
2. A panel headed by judge X.

Point #1 is a defensible point of view. Point #2 is an obvious falsehood. I don't understand why it pains you to admit that. If you don't care about that, the obvious choice is to skip the post, since you have zero power over what I choose to post or not post.

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
it doesn't matter that adelina not getting called on her flutz while mao got an edge call on her lutz...
:laugh: Finally you feel the same what Mao fans felt for many years when Mao got edge called for her flutz but Yuna practically never got edge called for her lip. Yuna used favoritism from judges, now someone else used her method. Why are you having problem with that. Hypocrite? Karma works. It's fair.

cooper

Medalist
:laugh: Finally you feel the same what Mao fans felt for many years when Mao got edge called for her flutz but Yuna practically never got edge called for her lip. Yuna used favoritism from judges, now someone else used her method. Why are you having problem with that. Hypocrite? Karma works. It's fair.

what are you whining about?? yuna got an edge call in her flip in the world championship last year.. but her flips this year is much better/stable.. show me evidence to prove that this year she had problems with her so called "lip".. especially at this year's olympics.. unlike sotnikova in the slow mo it was obvious that it was a flutz.. :rolleye:

usethis2

Medalist
Does anyone remember Yulia's confused face when her score (135+) was announced after that performance? If you don't remember, check it out again. I did not remember it but watching it again, it's priceless. And Johnny and Tara's silence after throwing so many kind words at her was :rofl:

You are embarrassing Mao fans.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Oh I know. We've had a couple of Filipino nannies over the years. Excellent English, all of them.

Oh, wow. I find this a little bit racist, condescending and insulting. I am a Filipino and I should tell you, most us speak English well.
Let's say the grammar or diction was off (for you), but the point he/she made is valid. Instead of attacking people's language (whether English is one's first language or not), maybe trying to disagree objectively is more acceptable and polite don't you think?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I♥Yuna;890317 said:
... ETA: to golden411 - proper source found, link fixed (it's virtually the same document, and the parts I quoted are exaclty the same).

:cool: Thx, I♥Yuna.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note to self: Try to stay out of this thread in future. The tone of some of the posts here is very disheartening. :eek: :(
[Not referring to I♥Yuna's comment to me.]

ILuvYuna

On the Ice
Well, here we go again :bang:

http://static.isu.org/media/104183/program-component-explanations.pdf

Transitions/Linking Footwork & Movement

Definition:

The varied and/or intricate footwork, positions, movements, and holds that link all elements. In singles, pairs, and synchronize skating this also includes the entrances and exits of technical elements.

Criteria:
Variety
Difficulty

etc.

So not only do we have the judges awarding +GoE for "difficult jump entrances" in TES, but we have them evaluating the exact same thing for points in PCS.

How many points should a skater be able to get for any given thing that they do?! :confused:

:cool: Thx, I♥Yuna.

You're welcome :agree: