Page 264 of 271 FirstFirst ... 164 214 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 LastLast
Results 3,946 to 3,960 of 4051

Thread: The Judging Controversy Thread

  1. #3946
    umm...
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Bears, vodka, balalaika...
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    So whos behind the conspiracy to judge Kostner so high in Sochi and Worlds?
    Obviously Sicilian Mafia, also known as Cosa Nostra! Boo!!!

  2. #3947
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,694
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    So whos behind the conspiracy to judge Kostner so high in Sochi and Worlds?
    Conspiracy? This has been going on ever since she came on the scene. She's been getting gifts her ENTIRE career...

    Just business as usual...nothing new here, move along...

  3. #3948
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    59
    I don't know how the whole judging thing is going to go on. But I certainly hope that as a Yuna fan, upcoming Korean skaters will dominate the scene in order to bring South Korea to the rise.

  4. #3949
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,963
    ^why does it matter where they are from if they are great skaters. This always eludes me. I'm American and my favorites hail from other countries like Russia,Korea, and Japan. Is something fundamentally wrong with me?

  5. #3950
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,694
    If I'm watching a show, then all I want to be is entertained, regardless of nationality. That's a case where I don't care.

    However, in competition, I want to see team USA do well.

  6. #3951
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2

    About Adelina and Yuna

    First, I am not a fan/hater of Adelina. I just don't understand why some people keep saying that Yuna attacked Adelina.

    No matter how she deserved to get the gold, whatever done is done. But if she would show some of professional courtesy as an athlete, it would be more great. For example, she left right after she finished her interview while other skaters were talking. She was only 17 years old and it might be something alright to her and some people, but it would be better to wait for other skaters or she could have asked to be excused if necessary.

    Some people say that it may be arrogant for her to say that she deserved to get a gold medal. But, in my opinion, it is perfectly fine to do so that she thought she deserved because she though she did her best, and that's it.

    The thing was that Adelina mentioned about Yuna's program. Unlike some fans of Yuna, I am not upset at all about this but I am just concerned that she should've been more careful when mentioning about other competitors because it is always something very sensitive all the time in any sports.

    I don't think that either of them particularly attacked each other.

    As a fan of Yuna, I would like to clarify something about Yuna:

    About a month before Sochi Olympics, Yuna said in an interview that she would try her best to deliver clean programs as much as she could so that she could put a nice end to her entire career. Also, she said that she did not want many other people (including media, etc.) to expect her too much to win a gold medal because she would like to focus more on delivering her last two clean programs before retiring rather than desiring to get a gold medal. In addition, she mentioned that figure skating is not like speed skating so there would definitely be possibilities of subjectivity where some can accepts the results while others cannot. No matter what results she could get in Sochi, she said that she would be happy that everything would be done. As long as she could finish her career with two clean programs, she said that would be the best thing for her to be happy with. Actually, she was planning to retire after Vancouver in 2010 but she had continued only because of other Korean young skaters. So, she said she did not care at all about winning the gold medal again because she had already won the gold in Vancouver.

    After Sochi, she said that she was happy that she had delivered two clean programs and that everything's done. When asked about the results and reactions of other people, she said that many people got upset and she appreciated them caring for her that much but she was fine because she thought she was satisfied with her performance enough. The reason why she was crying is that she was very pleased with the fact that everything she had done so far including hard training,... things like that was done. She started crying when she's about to enter Kiss & Cry zone, which was before her FP/total scores came out. After free program in Vancouver Olympics in 2010, she also cried with the same reason because she was planning to retire at that moment and was very pleased with the fact that everything's done.

    The word "absurd" that she mentioned is kind of mis-translated as I think. She actually said that she was kind of confused with her scores but she never though that something must be wrong or things like that, as she did not care much about the color of medals.

    I became a fan of Yuna, not only because of her wonderful achievements but also because of her personality. I have never seen her blaming other people or surroundings whenever she was treated absurdly in any aspects. The controversy always arises from media all over the world, her fans, etc.

  7. #3952
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by dwk5183 View Post
    First, I am not a fan/hater of Adelina. I just don't understand why some people keep saying that Yuna attacked Adelina.

    No matter how she deserved to get the gold, whatever done is done. But if she would show some of professional courtesy as an athlete, it would be more great. For example, she left right after she finished her interview while other skaters were talking. She was only 17 years old and it might be something alright to her and some people, but it would be better to wait for other skaters or she could have asked to be excused if necessary.

    Some people say that it may be arrogant for her to say that she deserved to get a gold medal. But, in my opinion, it is perfectly fine to do so that she thought she deserved because she though she did her best, and that's it.

    The thing was that Adelina mentioned about Yuna's program. Unlike some fans of Yuna, I am not upset at all about this but I am just concerned that she should've been more careful when mentioning about other competitors because it is always something very sensitive all the time in any sports.

    I don't think that either of them particularly attacked each other.

    As a fan of Yuna, I would like to clarify something about Yuna:

    About a month before Sochi Olympics, Yuna said in an interview that she would try her best to deliver clean programs as much as she could so that she could put a nice end to her entire career. Also, she said that she did not want many other people (including media, etc.) to expect her too much to win a gold medal because she would like to focus more on delivering her last two clean programs before retiring rather than desiring to get a gold medal. In addition, she mentioned that figure skating is not like speed skating so there would definitely be possibilities of subjectivity where some can accepts the results while others cannot. No matter what results she could get in Sochi, she said that she would be happy that everything would be done. As long as she could finish her career with two clean programs, she said that would be the best thing for her to be happy with. Actually, she was planning to retire after Vancouver in 2010 but she had continued only because of other Korean young skaters. So, she said she did not care at all about winning the gold medal again because she had already won the gold in Vancouver.

    After Sochi, she said that she was happy that she had delivered two clean programs and that everything's done. When asked about the results and reactions of other people, she said that many people got upset and she appreciated them caring for her that much but she was fine because she thought she was satisfied with her performance enough. The reason why she was crying is that she was very pleased with the fact that everything she had done so far including hard training,... things like that was done. She started crying when she's about to enter Kiss & Cry zone, which was before her FP/total scores came out. After free program in Vancouver Olympics in 2010, she also cried with the same reason because she was planning to retire at that moment and was very pleased with the fact that everything's done.

    The word "absurd" that she mentioned is kind of mis-translated as I think. She actually said that she was kind of confused with her scores but she never though that something must be wrong or things like that, as she did not care much about the color of medals.

    I became a fan of Yuna, not only because of her wonderful achievements but also because of her personality. I have never seen her blaming other people or surroundings whenever she was treated absurdly in any aspects. The controversy always arises from media all over the world, her fans, etc.
    Yes, it was very obvious from all of Yuna's pre and (especially) post-LP interviews that she was just really relieved the whole thing was over. Actually, I think if she could have, she would have retired after the Vancouver games. The fact that she stayed in this long in order to build a stronger foundation for younger Korean skaters going forward says something about her as a person. The fact that she managed to excel (and win silver and gold at world championships and another Olympic games) even when her heart wasn't really in it is a testament to her innate talent and mental fortitude.

  8. #3953
    Custom Title Antilopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    236
    again! I used to be a fan of both girls. Now I'm starting to hate them. too much drama.

  9. #3954
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,963
    I'll probably never watch a Sochi video again!! Maybe some team event stuff but...ugh.
    I just don't understand why some people keep saying that Yuna attacked Adelina.
    . When did Yuna attack Adelina? Where was I?

  10. #3955
    Ice is slippery.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilopa View Post
    again! I used to be a fan of both girls. Now I'm starting to hate them. too much drama.
    Lol I can't seem to go into any thread without hearing someone bringing them up...even if it has nothing to do with them. I'm going to avoid both their names like the plague now. Just feel sorry for the girls tbh.

  11. #3956
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,963
    Caro seems to have gotten over it just fine.

    http://instagram.com/p/mdSOUuycNg/

  12. #3957
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    When did Yuna attack Adelina? Where was I?
    Didn't you hear? It was part of the promotion event for All That Skate. Yuna kneecapped Adelina for the 20th anniversary of Nancy and Tonya's drama.

  13. #3958
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Didn't you hear? It was part of the promotion event for All That Skate. Yuna kneecapped Adelina for the 20th anniversary of Nancy and Tonya's drama.
    Lol. Anyway so what's the point of this thread? As a Yuna fan myself, I've had enough posts including Adelina.

  14. #3959
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    156
    The Olympic videos are up. 1080p resolution.

    Kim's second Triple Lutz was '<'. Did the judges ding her for that in the protocols?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgXKJvTVW9g
    It's at 6:41 in the video. Clearly Under-Rotated.
    Here's a screen cap from the 1080p stream: http://i62.tinypic.com/2mo8ilv.png
    See the video to put that into perspective.

    Unless I'm mistaken, that should have knocked the jump value down to a 70% cap and pretty much held her GOEs down to -2's (at most) given how wild the landing was...

    EDIT: Lol. The judges gave that Lutz full value and 1.0 in GOE. Seriously wondering why people are crying about the technical panel here...

    Sotnikova's 3-Jump combination wasn't UR. It was overrotated. So she lost GOE for the step-out but the judges weren't going to take much from that because it was on the last double and she had already done a huge Triple Flip and Double Toe on the combo. Since there wasn't a UR on the combination, they were limited in what they could take and actually have to factor in the entire jumping pass as a unit. You don't give -2/-3 GOE for a step out on an over-cooked double loop on a combination like that. It would make no sense.

    The calls seemed slightly lenient (Kostner's second half jumps were... let's just say they weren't all that) overall, but all the top 3 skaters were beneficiaries of lenient calling by the technical panel.

    After having watched all the programs again, I'd still have the placements the way they were in the end.

    The only area of contention is the PCS, and that's largely subjective since technically (SS/Transitions) I don't see how Sotnikova should be so inferior to Yuna Kim with her program setup (it's very, tactfully, "IJS"), but the other three components are largely subjective in nature and therefore only a fool would try to debate with someone about their personal preferences.

    I think Sotnikova gave the performance of the night. The judges were between a rock and a hard place, but what they did was no different than the way judges would inflate the presentation score of skaters to 5.9s when they only rarely scored that high to give them a win when they gave the best skate. They weren't going to give Kostner or Kim shabby PCS so they took the only other route they could take to place the skater they felt won the competition in front.

  15. #3960
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    4,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Components View Post
    Kim's second Triple Lutz was '<'.
    No it wasn't. Look at where she takes off, the angle of the blade. A lutz jump (one that takes off from a proper outside edge) curves the opposite direction of the rotation. She also doesn't pre-rotate on her toepick hardly at all, so she's already inherently in the air longer.

Page 264 of 271 FirstFirst ... 164 214 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •