Page 5 of 271 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Judging Controversy Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cptnhastings View Post

I don't agree with the result today, but I think the judges were caught up in the moment and the Russian crowd subconsciously made them tick up the PCS for the Russians. Sotnikova's TES marks were about right.
    this was it
    thank you

Custom Title
    And don't forget the SP scores. Seriously that scoring was a crime. Had the tech panel given Yuna level 4 for her step sequences in SP and LP, Yuna would have won the gold.

Custom Title
    Outside Russia, Adelina's PCS is just 65~68.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Well, rather than get heated about it, I'll just quote myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    I hate to have to refer to SLC 2002 again, as this just makes my French half very ashamed, but... SLC 2002!
    Even when there was a real scandal with people found guilty (that wouldn't be possible that clearly today), "Both Le Gougne and Gailhaguet were eventually suspended from the sport for three years by the International Skating Union, which never made any serious investigation into the events." ... and then things came back to what they were before: Didier Gailhaguet resigned as president of the French Ice Sports Federation on 12 May 2004 (he wasn't even fired!), but was re-elected to that position in December 2007. He is considered the most likely to be the successor of Cinquanta as future President of the ISU.

So to sum it up, I'd say the ISU has a very pragmatic approach to scandals and controversies: "sit and wait, there's nothing they can do anyway". They awarded Salé/Pelletier with additional Gold Medals due to being pressured by the IOC. The ISU would have been fine with doing nothing. Their slogan should be something like:

ISU - yeah, well, what are you gonna do about it?

Custom Title
    I'd say she's being a tad melodramatic there. I disagree with the results but I can see how Adelina won on TES.

I hate to have to refer to SLC 2002 again, as this just makes my French half very ashamed, but... SLC 2002!
    Even when there was a real scandal with people found guilty (that wouldn't be possible that clearly today), "Both Le Gougne and Gailhaguet were eventually suspended from the sport for three years by the International Skating Union, which never made any serious investigation into the events." ... and then things came back to what they were before: Didier Gailhaguet resigned as president of the French Ice Sports Federation on 12 May 2004 (he wasn't even fired!), but was re-elected to that position in December 2007. He is considered the most likely to be the successor of Cinquanta as future President of the ISU.

So to sum it up, I'd say the ISU has a very pragmatic approach to scandals and controversies: "sit and wait, there's nothing they can do anyway". They awarded Salé/Pelletier with additional Gold Medals due to being pressured by the IOC. The ISU would have been fine with doing nothing. Their slogan should be something like:

Custom Title
    I don't have any problem with the placements. A strong technical program will win every time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by UnChosen View Post
    Because PCS exist. At least it would be if judges don't treat it as a TES extension.
    Yuna should not be beating Caro with 7 triples either.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cptnhastings View Post
    I don't understand HOW Russia could've rigged it. Was Putin holding the judges' puppies hostage? Did they threaten that they'd ship them to Siberia? Did they pay them in vodka? What leverage could they have had when it's anonymous judging?

I don't agree with the result today, but I think the judges were caught up in the moment and the Russian crowd subconsciously made them tick up the PCS for the Russians. Sotnikova's TES marks were about right.

Thank god winning Olympic medals isn't everything.
    That's a really, REALLY big PCS tick up.

Didn't Sotnikova score 18 pts higher for today's performance than in Euros about a month ago...That's quite an "impressive" improvement.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Probably because they all received a nice paycheck -- or a villa -- from the Russians.
    That's why Putin build Sochi!! Good rest area!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Probably because they all received a nice paycheck -- or a villa -- from the Russians.
    Or 7-triples in an inspired program > 6-triple flat program. But the villas does sound like a more opulent explanation.

I've lost all faith in the sport. It is just utter nonsense that Adelina got PCS that is equal to Kim and Kostner. This is not about Yuna losing the gold or dissing Adelina, who rose to the occasion and delivered a great performance.

This is about how PCS should be scored, and what this competition showed is that PCS is just too subjective and manipulative to be considered as an objective scoring tool. Despite the individual achievements of the skaters tonight, this is truly a sad day for the sport.

Custom Title
    .. sad for skating
    It was beautiful for skating. Yuna had no choreography. She had clean jumps, but that's all. Just random passages from jump to jump. Tango music without a tango is a complete waste.

Page 5 of 271 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast