The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 6 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I don't really have a problem with her winning. clean, highest level of difficulty. I disagree personally but I don't think it's dishonest or anything.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^Lulz at "all of the factors melded together".

Wonder what some of those factors were...

hurrah

Medalist
Carolina should have gotten gold tonight. She gave the best SP of her life yesterday and she delivered a 7-triple program with great skating skills and artistry. She was cheated out of her own opportunity to make Olympic history tonight. I would be kind of upset if I were her.

Then it should have been Yuna, so actually, Yuna would have gotten silver in any case I think. So actually, she didn't really get bad treatment tonight, again.

And then Adelina should have gotten bronze.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Carolina has done her job and more. She can end her career on a high note.

Mao skated brilliantly but she has more in the tank. This LP was simply her doing what she was capable of doing in practices. She should take a break after Worlds and maybe continue later if she wants.

Yuna should want REVENGE. She is good enough to be a two-time OGM and she and Carolina both got shafted. Right now I really hope Adelina sticks around to Pyeongchang and Yuna makes a magnificent return in 2018 Pyeongchang, slaying Adelina the same way Mao slayed 12 skaters (despite the judges and the tech panel claiming it was only 10) on her way to 8 triples and her 6th-place (rightfully 4th) finish.

Ven

Match Penalty
"American Skating Insiders Question Sochi Judging"

SOCHI, Russia -- One of the nine judges who picked a young Russian skater over two more refined competitors for the Olympic gold medal Thursday night was suspended for a year for trying to fix an event at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano.

And another is the wife of the president of the Russian figure skating federation.

Judges from the United States and South Korea, as well as two other Western judges, were not chosen by draw to work the women's long program after being on the women's short program panel the night before. Two of their replacements were Ukrainian Yuri Balkov, who was kicked out of judging for a year after being tape-recorded trying to fix the Nagano ice dancing competition by a Canadian judge, and Alla Shekhovtseva, a Russian judge who is married to the Russian federation's president. Other Eastern Europeans were on the panel as well.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...e-skating-women-yuna-kim-gracie-gold/5643143/

How in the hell can the Russian Skating Federation President's wife be one of the judges?!?!?!

usethis2

Medalist
No one expected less. I am deeply saddened.

P.S. And I thought Russian Federation's vice-President himself was on the tech panel. The panel that gave Yuna level 3 for her step sequence in both SP and LP, and level 4 for Adelina in both SP and LP (no one else did). In LP, everyone but Yuna (Adelina, Carolina, Mao) in top 4 received level 4 in step sequence.

pleupleu

Spectator
I am looking at the SP and LP protocols and had Yuna received level 4 for her step sequences she would have won the gold. No idea how Adelina got level 4 (both in SP and LP, no one else did), and everybody but Yuna (Adelina, Mao, Carolina) got level 4 in LP. Yuna got level 3 in both SP and LP. The tech panel was absolutely determined.

Can't take this seriously.

*sighs*

That is your opinion. Personally I believe there was nothing that should have held Adelina down in PCS. I say this as a huge YuNa fan who did not care much about Adelina's skating. After all, PCS is not all about artistry.

- substandard posture (shoulders rounded, turtle neck)
- substandard body lines
- substandard carriage
- choreography in both programs incidental and not relating to the music neither in terms of style and character nor in terms of matching the music
- skating skills not bad but nowhere near Kim's or Kostner's (they skated on deeper, cleaner edges, have more speed and flow, etc. etc. etc. - this is very evident on the step sequences where Sot might have hit the levels but in terms of speed and flow she was nowhere near them and it was a bit like she was skating through molasses in comparison)
- her movements being largely off-time in both programs

jkun

Final Flight
I really do hope they look into it and fix what needs to be fixed for next time..

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
So much for the Americans complaining about the Canadians (and the French) complaining.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't seen the performances, so I don't know if she deserved to win.

But, I'm happy she did.

I am sick to death of the threads on Yuna vs Mao vs Carolina vs Julia (recently added).

Now, it's over and done. We'll have a few days of moaning and complaining, but then the bots will drift away. Good riddance.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Kim was underwhelming without her usual fire

her Adios Ninio program was what killed her chances
flat and lacking transitions and good choreography
and her no 3 loop

millie

Medalist
The games were fixed when the US losses but all of a sudden when D/W wins, there no corruption. You can't have it both ways. Cry babies.