The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 9 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Anyway, it is clear that a question should be asked: Why did Yuna receive the crucial L3 for footwork, out of everyone else? That is the ONLY technical call that is needed to change the results.

I'm confused by this. Wouldn't her points have just gone up .60 in the short and .60 in the long and a little more in GOE #s? That's not enough to make up 5 points, right? Sotnikova got 1.5 GOE up v. Yuna's 1.14 in GOE in short. 1.70 to Yuna's 1.14 in long. So if Yuna got the 1.2 extra for levels and just tied Sotnikova's GOEs that's be an additional .92 for GOE on top of 1.2 = 2.12 additional points. What am I missing?

desertskates

Medalist
:agree:
Let it go.

Russia was slated to win gold, Kim already has a gold. And it's not like Sotnikova didn't skate an excellent performance. Personally I thought Kostner deserved the win, but fully expected Sotnikova to get it after her skate.

This farce of a win was a crowning glory to all the atrociously outrageous pro-Russian scoring that has gone all this whole competition.
:agree:

BrentWolgamott

Rinkside
Sounds like a Queen Yuna megafan...

Yuna surpassed Sotnikova on the component mark. It was about the 6 triples to Sotnikova's 7 triples. Yuna lost the gold by about 4 points...one more triple, and the gold is hers. Her lack of a triple loop jump really cost her here...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's a really, REALLY big PCS tick up.

Didn't Sotnikova score 18 pts higher for today's performance than in Euros about a month ago...That's quite an "impressive" improvement.

Yeah... a monstrous leap -- and it's not like when Denis Ten had two amazing performances at 2013 Worlds compared to anything he had done prior and got a 20+ personal best increase.

She scored 22.23 points higher overall. Good luck getting that score outside of Russia.

Manitou

Medalist
People here are so full of BS. Can you people simply shut up? The competition is over, there was no scandal, and the only scandal is happening in your sore loser minds.
Get over this! Adelina won, she was the best that night, period. If you don't agree then I am telling you that there are 100 thousand more people who do agree. So you are outnumbered!
And let the girl celebrate her win. She deserved it.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Anonymous judging

with all the complains from judging from who is giving the GOE, level marks etc
getting rid of anonymous judging but wasn't that proposed already by the UFSA next council by ISU ?

in the end, it is still up to the ISU body to decide and the Federation lobbyists
what to do, unfortunately mere members or avid fans will never have a say

BrentWolgamott

Rinkside
This will go down as the blackest day in the history of figure skating, far surpassing 2002.

The judging $$$$ in these olympics was a farce, climaxing with the rigged result of the ladies event.

Ven, you've now started at least 3 different threads, all complaining about the judging. Yuna won the component mark. If she did 7 triples, as Adelina did, she would have won. 6 is not greater than 7. STOP COMPLAINING (and starting new threads).

mwk81

Rinkside
I was expecting a great final group, but after seeing those adelina scores, it felt like "why bother?"

Krislite

Medalist
The stacking of the judging/tech panel with a Russian tech controller, the wife of the Russian skating federation, a Ukrainian judge who was formerly involved in a cheating scandal, and other East European countries who are under the strong influence of Russia is quite telling.

Such a bittersweet day for me--happy for the performances of Yuna, Carolina and Mao, but so disappointed and disgusted with the judging.

Ven

Match Penalty
Ven, you've now started at least 3 different threads, all complaining about the judging. Yuna won the component mark. If she did 7 triples, as Adelina did, she would have won. 6 is not greater than 7. STOP COMPLAINING (and starting new threads).

Adelina stumbled sideways on one of her jump combos. Not even clean.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Scoring is the least of it.

Billions gone where during the construction
Undocumented disposal of hazardous/construction waste
Environmental damage to Sochi area
Unpaid foreign workers deported before being paid
Shoddy construction
Unfinished hotel rooms
Yellow water
LGBT forced back into the closet
Pussy Riot attacked by their own fellow Russians (who were hired as protection for the Games)
All protest relegated to areas miles away from the foreign press in Sochi
Audiences who have now given vivid new meanings to the words/phrases "partisan" and "unsportsman-like behavior"

Unfair scoring is the least of it.

not that these games havne't been a disaster, but you could say this about most of the cities who've hosted summer and olympic games. it always comes with a host of economic, environmental and human rights concerns.

mwk81

Rinkside
The stacking of the judging/tech panel with a Russian tech controller, the wife of the Russian skating federation, a Ukrainian judge who was formerly involved in a cheating scandal, and other East European countries who are under the strong influence of Russia is quite telling.

Such a bittersweet day for me--happy for the performances of Yuna, Carolina and Mao, but so disappointed and disgusted with the judging.

While their were great performances, I kind of got the sense after seeing Adeline scores of "why bother". But if it is indeed the last skates of yuna, Carolina, and Mao (worlds pending), at least they did all they could today