Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Worlds coverage

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by apgold View Post
    My cable system carries NBCSN but not Universal Sports, which it used to. I remember seeing Tara & Johnny with Peter Carruthers commenting on 2010 Worlds 4 years ago, so I think that's the first time they worked together.

I'm sure I can find a stream or some links on Youtube. Someone upthread mentioned Jackie Wong from Examiner.com - he really does a great job with his recaps and links to the performances.
    They usually post videos pretty quickly. And they're not IOC content so they don't usually get taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by daphna View Post
    anyone knows if Eurosport will cover it?
    They probably will and you just know they will have some post-Olympic comments to make; and hopefully somebody will be recording.

#TeamAUS

CBC to be broadcasting 2014 Worlds

There were rumours that CBC would end the 2014 figure skating season at the Sochi Games but the show goes on!

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating

I love CBC

Hate fake smiles and horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    They probably will and you just know they will have some post-Olympic comments to make; and hopefully somebody will be recording.
    Could I find the live stream at the time?

generally interested fan Esopian's Avatar
    For residents of Canada, here's the CBC broadcast schedule: http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/fig...ing/broadcast/

Custom Title
    Yup. For CBC Television, as opposed to Online, click the button on top of the schedule to move between the two and view the slight differences in coverage between t.v. and online.

Custom Title
    Yes, there's a thread on Worlds coverage, including CBC, in the Worlds forum:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...coverage/page2

It looks like it will be extensive coverage of all the programs, short & long, each day.

Rinkside
    Sadly, there's no indication Aunty Beeb will be showing them.

It used to be we got coverage of, pretty much, every figurre skating event on the BBC; back in the days of Currie, Cousing and Torvill and Dean, but they've become really erratic in their coverage over since they decided the Brits didn't have much chance of a medal any longer.

Sadly, it's become a case of paying through the nose for sporting channels that you'll only watch for those events you really want to see or doing without completely.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Parry View Post
    Sadly, it's become a case of paying through the nose for sporting channels that you'll only watch for those events you really want to see or doing without completely.
    I assume you're in the UK then? It is possible without "paying through the nose", but depends on where you live and what other services you happen to use.

eg. I get VirginMedia cable TV - which works out dirt cheap because it's part of a package where I get cable TV, cable broadband, landline phone and mobile phone from them too. (I deliberately moved to a cable area, so I would never have anything to do with Sky or BT... and definitely never pay either of them any money. But that's another story).

Anyway, the TV package includes British Eurosport 1 & 2, both in HD, which provide excellent coverage of the big ISU competitions these days. Although over-running live snooker (don't get me started -_-) and tennis often intrude on the schedules. Best commentators too in my opinion (the Simon Reed gang).

Unfortunately, the fact that Eurosport buys the broadcast rights for the major competitions... means that a) the BBC doesn't broadcast them for all to see for free, and b) internet streaming of them by services like Ice Network get geoblocked in the UK (I.N. could otherwise be a fairly cost-effective solution).

Other than that, there's always Youtube...! Not exactly reliable, not always good quality, and maybe not in a language you understand. But it's better than nothing. And sometimes you can find footage that the likes of Eurosport "skipped" in favour of ******* snooker or whatever. Thank you, youtube posters!

Rinkside
    Ah, good old Virgin. Unfortunately, I can't have cable as the local council told NTL (tells you how old I am ) that they were making too much mess and couldn't lay any more cables, back in the late 80's.

Sky is a dodgy option as I live in a no dish area, so I'm stuck with a rather unreliable BT TV service, or Freeview.

Custom Title
    Right now, Eurosport (1) already has the following on the schedule for Wednesday 26/3:
    07:30 Men's SP (live, 300 minutes!)
    12:30 Pairs SP (not live, 120 mins)

Sure hope this is a good sign and they are gonna air a lot of live Worlds!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie_20 View Post
    Right now, Eurosport (1) already has the following on the schedule for Wednesday 26/3:
    07:30 Men's SP (live, 300 minutes!)
    12:30 Pairs SP (not live, 120 mins)

Sure hope this is a good sign and they are gonna air a lot of live Worlds!
    Use the search, it shows similar scheduling on the Thursday, so prospects look good.
    http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/search.sht...gure%20skating

No tennis tournaments? So we might get Simon Reed commentating for British viewers?

I see there is live Snooker on British Eurosport in the same period - no doubt it will overrun its schedules by several hours every day, steamrolling everything scheduled after it, and leaving non-snooker fans in the UK to wail and gnash their teeth and punch their TV screens. As usual.

But due to the timezeones, the live skating (and first showings of non-live highlights) look to be scheduled in the mornings, and on the other Eurosport channel - so hopefully skating won't fall victim this time...

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    Anyway, the TV package includes British Eurosport 1 & 2, both in HD, which provide excellent coverage of the big ISU competitions these days.

Unfortunately, the fact that Eurosport buys the broadcast rights for the major competitions... means that a) the BBC doesn't broadcast them for all to see for free, and b) internet streaming of them by services like Ice Network get geoblocked in the UK (I.N. could otherwise be a fairly cost-effective solution).
    Those two things are not related. Both BBC and Eurosport have the rights. BBC could stream Worlds online or provide full access on the red button, at least. Since it's your tax money, you can write to them to suggest that.

Other than that, there's always Youtube...! Not exactly reliable, not always good quality, and maybe not in a language you understand. But it's better than nothing. And sometimes you can find footage that the likes of Eurosport "skipped" in favour of ******* snooker or whatever. Thank you, youtube posters!
    There's TVTeka. I assume one of the Russian channels will be showing Worlds in full.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Those two things are not related. Both BBC and Eurosport have the rights.
    Oh? Where did you find this information?

I thought the BBC had rights for Winter Olympics up to at least 2018, and possibly World's - but you're saying they have the rights to the other major ISU competitions as well?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast