Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread

Layfan

Record Breaker
One thing is hard to dispute and that is that Adelina was terrific.

Come on.

You can prefer Yuna or Carolina's skating and question some aspects of Adelina's. But no sane person can deny that Adelina delivered two stellar performances with hugely difficult content. I'm ambivalent about her choreo but she skated the lights out of it. Not perfect. But. She put it on the line with a risky technically difficult program. She skated huge. She went for it. She gave an Olympic performance.

She rewrote the "script" that so many pundits and fan were writing and everyone is all stunned that their predictions were wrong.

Congratulations Adelina!!!!!

Manitou

Medalist
I hope this undeserved OGM comes back to haunt her for the rest of her career, if not her life

The sore losers are so full of evil. They will not stop at anything.
I am sure Adelina will be a very happy person for all her years, and there will be many. And the beautiful medal she earned will be the most valued treasure of her life... :)

volk

Final Flight
It is created by a single user / with multiple accounts
kotacue, alexrus, luckystar etc may have stayed silent
but I will speak, the anti-russian hostility in this thread needs to be reviewed

Yeah, I've seen a lot of new posters suddenly popping up here.

aschiutza

On the Ice
Wow people, and YOU are complaining about how the russian audience was? You, who post such messages with "haunt her life", "meet her karma", etc?

If you , who are watching FS closelly and pretend to be FS fans, cannot behave, what do you expect from an audience who is not so well educated?

Some of you should really be ashamed about what you have written in last days. Take a break, cool off, be polite and civilized.

Adelina worked hard for this day her whole life, she did her best today. If the judges gave her some points more or less, where is her fault? The last three skaters were so close in their quality, each one had something special, something different. Today was the day of Adelina, tomorrow will be for another skater.

And you were upset about the sportmannship of Plushenko in Vancouver. Where is yours?

Panini

On the Ice
One thing is hard to dispute and that is that Adelina was terrific.

Come on.

You can prefer Yuna or Carolina's skating and question some aspects of Adelina's. But no sane person can deny that Adelina delivered two stellar performances with hugely difficult content. I'm ambivalent about her choreo but she skated the lights out of it. Not perfect. But. She put it on the line with a risky technically difficult program. She skated huge. She went for it. She gave an Olympic performance.

She rewrote the "script" that so many pundits and fan were writing and everyone is all stunned that their predictions were wrong.

Congratulations Adelina!!!!!

Major respect to all the Russian skaters even if the scores are very iffy. So many of them skating lights-out under intense home pressure.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Adelina should be praised, not blamed. She skated GREAT at home, with tons of pressure, I love her, flaws and all, such high jumps and good spins.
I really do hope that winning a OGM in a controversial way won't result in more pressure, snark, hate for her.
I want her to go and develop as a skater for the next quad, not to be remembered as the Russian girl who pulled a Hughes.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
People being nasty will be the best motivation for Adelina to grow & get even better.
So these bitter, jealous people are doing her a favour.
Look what being left out of the team event did for her.
Russia has had to work hard to get back to the top since Vancouver when many could say they were the victims of biased judging.
But their skaters have worked hard & now they have new Olympic team champions, new Olympic Pairs Champions & now a beautiful Olympic ladies champion.
Hard work on the ice has done this, nothing else.
Bring on the hate. The best motivation !.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Wow people, and YOU are complaining about how the russian audience was? You, who post such messages with "haunt her life", "meet her karma", etc?

If you , who are watching FS closelly and pretend to be FS fans, cannot behave, what do you expect from an audience who is not so well educated?

Some of you should really be ashamed about what you have written in last days. Take a break, cool off, be polite and civilized.

Adelina worked hard for this day her whole life, she did her best today. If the judges gave her some points more or less, where is her fault? The last three skaters were so close in their quality, each one had something special, something different. Today was the day of Adelina, tomorrow will be for another skater.

And you were upset about the sportmannship of Plushenko in Vancouver. Where is yours?

the russuphobia in this forum needs to be reviewed
also the popping of many bot accounts just to slam Anti-russian comments

the toxic words used even makes my stomach roll with disgust

Layfan

Record Breaker
Adelina should be praised, not blamed. She skated GREAT at home, with tons of pressure, I love her, flaws and all, such high jumps and good spins.
I really do hope that winning a OGM in a controversial way won't result in more pressure, snark, hate for her.
I want her to go and develop as a skater for the next quad, not to be remembered as the Russian girl who pulled a Hughes.

I know, this is what's bugging me. Adelina is a very fine skater. She doesn't deserve to be raked through the coals when all she did was work so hard for this moment and keep working and believing even through her low moments - including just a week ago when the Russians ditched her for Julia for the team event. I'm not saying it's right or wrong to disagree with the results, but I just hope most fans, going forward, will judge Adelina's skating for itself and not by the medal they think she shouldn't have won.

I also hope for her to keep going and keep developing. She, Julia, Gracie and many others could be such fun to watch in the coming years.

hurrah

Medalist
I don't see any posts actually criticizing Adelina personally. Those who are accusing posters here of doing that are trying to get everyone to stop discussing the fallacies of the judging that took place in Russia.

And of course, whenever these misjudgements occur, the skaters aren't to be blamed, except when and if they defend it in a callous way in an interview, as Patrick Chan used to do.

slider11

Medalist
If medals were given on sheer heart and skating with passion, I would give it to Carolina. Yuna is wonderful but that performance left me a little cold. Adelina had tremendous content and very good artistic impression. Not to the level of Carolina's but the combo of content and expression gave it to Adelina. I think they got it right. I think we'll see a different winner at Worlds. Not sure who, but one of the others who just couldn't package it as well as Adelina tonight.

Panini

On the Ice
People being nasty will be the best motivation for Adelina to grow & get even better.
So these bitter, jealous people are doing her a favour.
Look what being left out of the team event did for her.
Russia has had to work hard to get back to the top since Vancouver when many could say they were the victims of biased judging.
But their skaters have worked hard & now they have new Olympic team champions, new Olympic Pairs Champions & now a beautiful Olympic ladies champion.
Hard work on the ice has done this, nothing else.
Bring on the hate. The best motivation !.

I agree with the first half of your comment. Where was the biased judging against Russians in Vancouver? Plushenko was marked very generously, K/S and Leonova weren't really contenders, and V/M & D/W rightfully deserved their placements in ice dance.

usethis2

Medalist
Regardless of judging, I give a big kudos for Adelina to rising up to the occasion. She was magnificent.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I agree with the first half of your comment. Where was the biased judging against Russians in Vancouver? Plushenko was marked very generously, K/S and Leonova weren't really contenders, and V/M & D/W rightfully deserved their placements in ice dance.

in Vancouver 2010 ?
clearly that is a joke

all the russian skaters in Vancouver were underscored
medal or non medal threats

Layfan

Record Breaker
I don't see any posts actually criticizing Adelina personally. Those who are accusing posters here of doing that are trying to get everyone to stop discussing the fallacies of the judging that took place in Russia.

And of course, whenever these misjudgements occur, the skaters aren't to be blamed, except when and if they defend it in a callous way in an interview, as Patrick Chan used to do.

what about this post:

I hope this undeserved OGM comes back to haunt her for the rest of her career, if not her life

or the one that said "congrats on being Russian"

and that's just in this thread which was meant to invite praise of her....

...look a bit harder if you really can't find any nastiness.

I have my own opinions about which skater I preferred tonight but these debates get so astonishing mean, and therefore, dull, so I have no motivation to even try to post something interesting.

stop with the cyber bullying, people. nothing wrong with trying to explain why you disagreed with the results but say something interesting about their performances, not the skaters.

hurrah

Medalist
I give kudos to Plushenko for retiring out of the men's competition. Him retiring meant that the men's event was judged pretty cleanly at Russia.

VirMo

On the Ice
Congratulations Adelina, I hope you are happy! I hope you are happy that you won gold with such controversy, backed by the support of your home crowd and judges, probably you have never even dreamt of it. I hope you really cherish the moment because you will never be able to get any respect even with your shining gold medal!

This is how adults' politics and egos ruin a young promising skater's world-wide reputation and career.

hurrah

Medalist

Oh, yeah. That one's very bad.

Adelina skated well, and deserved bronze today, which would have been a great accomplishment in any case. And I still have a very good impression of her personally. As long as she doesn't do a Patrick Chan-like interview, I wouldn't consider her in any way culpable.

She does probably have alot to prove, though. Like Yuzuru, who publicly admitted that his performance was not OGM-worthy, even though he was not accused of home cooking, Adelina will have to prove that she's worthy of a gold medal, or alternatively, run for the woods, which I think makes good sense because all this judging issues will not go away I think.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I give kudos to Plushenko for retiring out of the men's competition. Him retiring meant that the men's event was judged pretty cleanly at Russia.

watch the jumps ;)

anyways the anti-russian comments are getting tiring
even for the borderline xenophobic comments