Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I do think she was overscored but I think Adelina was amazing. To basically be pushed aside for Julia in the team event and then comeback and skate lights out...I'm happy for her. I hate that her moment is being tainted like this. The hate/vitriol being spewed at her from angry fans is shocking and really saddening. She doesn't deserve that. All she did was go out there and skate her heart out. No one can take that away from her...

Manitou

Medalist
I do think she was overscored but I think Adelina was amazing. To basically be pushed aside for Julia in the team event and then comeback and skate lights out...I'm happy for her. I hate that her moment is being tainted like this. The hate/vitriol being spewed at her from angry fans is shocking and really saddening. She doesn't deserve that. All she did was go out there and skate her heart out. No one can take that away from her...

I want "Like" button...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
No, the previous people who beat her- Asada, Suguri, Ando, Kostner, Rochette actually legitimately beat her. Being awarded a gold medal for an event that millions was payed for you to win in advance is not beating anyone. So the number is still 5 just as before.

Yuna should do 7 triples like the ladies she shared the podium with. Yuna was listless in both the SP and LP, looking very nervous.

volk

Final Flight
In an interview before Olympics she said that she plans to compete till she's 22.

I was able to watch Adelina's program this afternoon, and she did a fine job. Do I agree with the finishing order? I don't know enough to decide at this point (maybe ever), but there have been many times during prior Olympics when I disagreed with the one-two finishers. The important thing is that it is never the skaters' fault. They don't have pockets in their costumes from which they hand out money to the judges.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I hope she doesn't retire.

THIS. If she does not and if she is now in fact consistent I can see her becoming one of the all time greats. Even if not consistent I can see her becoming one of the all time artistic greats. If she retires now she is more or less just another kid who had one great night.

I would be very surprised to see her at Worlds, given the level of emotion this outcome is already generating.

AS IF if the Russian Fed is not going to send her to Worlds. She is going.

I agree. Honestly, I'm glad Yulia didn't win/do very well so she will stick around too. Both Adelina and Yulia have a lot of talent and can continue to build off of it and increase artistry. If both of them stay til 2018 (where they will be 19 and 21) I can see them doing really fantastic things.

Also this. My greatest fear was actually that JuLip WAS going to win and retire. Now I get to keep seeing her, at least.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Yuna should do 7 triples like the ladies she shared the podium with. Yuna was listless in both the SP and LP, looking very nervous.

Nah, the judges would've probably found some place to dock her pts and keep Adelina in 1st.

149 for that kind of LP is a disgrace to figure skating.

Macassar88

Medalist
I have always been an admirer of Adelina's but I didn't become a fan of hers until this season or 2013 worlds (which is surprising because I hated her programs)

But she turns her 6 choreography into a 10 for the short and her 4 choreography into a 10 as well, which is impressive. And her jumps are huge! So happy she won.

Ven

Match Penalty

Uh, Yuna did in 2010 with a spiral sequence and "one of the greatest olympic performances of all time".

Sotnikova stumbled a jump and was out of sorts with her choreo, not to mention other weaknesses, minus the spiral sequence, and scores less than 1 point shy of Yuna's record.

Obviously rigged.

Krislite

Medalist

It wasn't about the total number of triples. Even Mao's 8-triple LP scored well below Adelina's LP. How can people bury their heads so far in the sand and deny the obvious?

Layfan

Record Breaker
This works well: :thumbsup: :biggrin:
:thumbsup:

I think for people who were really paying attention Adelina's win didn't come completely out of nowhere. It's hard sometimes because this is a sport that gets written about so sporadically and you can't get every last in-an-out of the last year or two into a preview written for the general public.

But Adelina had a higher base value than Yuna or Kostner and I think even than Julia. She beat Julia at Russian nationals and she beat Julia in the SP at Euros. She had been growing steadily more consistent all year. She was a threat. She was just mightily overlooked, probably mostly because of her implosion at world's last year. And then Julia became all of the hype and that made Adelina's upset even bigger, when really, it would have been just as big an upset of Julia had defeated Yuna.

Lots of fans probably would have howled if Julia had won too against a clean Yuna but they would have been more mentally prepared for it. I

the commentators tried to make this a two-way race between Yuna and Julia at the last minute but it was never that.

CarneAsada

Medalist
It wasn't about the total number of triples. Even Mao's 8-triple LP scored well below Adelina's LP. How can people bury their heads so far in the sand and deny the obvious?
Whenever I see the protocols to Mao's 8-triple LP with their two wrongful downgrades and such stingy GOEs and PCS I just want to throw something. Adelina's LP barely deserved 140, hell it wouldn't even deserve 130 under the 2007-08 era judging when Yuna scored 133 for a 7 triple performance and Mao scored just 132 for her 2007 GPF LP.

Yeah and Adelina's juniorish presentation, excessive arm waving, lack of any line, position, posture, style, or elegance, and barely adequate at best choreography is sure worth 5 points more in PCS than the elegant, sublime, exquisite programs of Mao. I wouldnt be surprised if Mao tanked the short since the judges sent the message with Adelina's score in the short just before Mao skated everyone else can forget the gold, and that was less painful to her than skating great and still being shafted for a skater like Adelina who isnt fit to shine her skates.
I really like this idea. But I still refuse to watch Mao's SP and I'd prefer to imagine that she skated a perfect SP like at the GPF.

Ven

Match Penalty

Very good point Krislite.

Mao Asada 8 clean triples with 3A scored 142
Russian with 7 triple program and 1 botched jump scored 149

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Very good point Krislite.

Mao Asada 8 clean triples with 3A scored 142
Russian with 7 triple program and 1 botched jump scored 149

This is just...ludicrous. How anyone can still not think the scores were rigged is beyond me.

skatingfan20

Rinkside
At the end of the day, if Adelina makes it to 2018, it will depend on who Russia can get on the judging panel and the technical panel. I mean if they can get a crooked judge who was caught for once trying to fix at the Olympics on the panel this year, and they can get the wife of the president of the Russian Skating Federation this year as well, just imagine what they will be able to do for the next four years at worlds and the next Olympics. They just need clean skaters, and their judges and allies will do the rest.

Panini

On the Ice
Official results in figure skating no longer have any meaning after these Games. You can see from how Ito and Janet Lynn are considered the 2 best ever what a farce skating scoring and its system of determining winners is. The 2 best ever and only 1 World and 0 Olympic titles between them. Meanwhile a garbage skater like Sotnikova is an Olympic Champion and stunning skaters who make you cry like Kwan and Asada are not. Results only reflect corruption, bribes, politics, and luck, and occasionally a bit of skating too. Quality is what determines the greatness of a skater and always has.

Calm down. Breathe.