Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread

bsfan

On the Ice
I checked out other threads with the nasty, bitchy & jealous people then thought I would rather just be happy for a young girl who has just EARNED a Olympic Gold medal.
Let's face it, this was a very close competition but to say it's a fix because a Russian girl won in Russia is not fair.
I thought the Ice Dance event was a fix, as the top two was already decided before anyone took to the ice but very few mention that.
Some people on here are so anti-Russian it's scary.
I'm half American half British & would like to congratulate Adelina.

I second this except the last line:)

I also think the dance gold/silver were already fixed before competition since the media has been talking pretty much the same for quite a while. but on the other hand, I'm not a judge and won't dig into it. I just love V/M's dancy skate. Don't get any dance feeling from D/W.

bsfan

On the Ice
Very good point Krislite.

Mao Asada 8 clean triples with 3A scored 142
Russian with 7 triple program and 1 botched jump scored 149

The Japaness didn't have 8 clean triples + 3A. She had downgradeS.
Sotnikova didn't botched her jump, but a step out on landing of 3 pass jumps. Kim also had an unstable landing on Lutz.

ericka141

On the Ice

bsfan

On the Ice
and if she does the Japanese skating federation will be ready for her. Look for some shockingly low scores unless she skates better than she did at the Olympics. And if she dares to skate at the next Olympics in KOREA I can only say she has some huge balls.

It won't make the Japanese skating federation anything better. Based on what have happened in Japan on pevious competitions, it won't surprise me if it does happen.

bsfan

On the Ice
Official results in figure skating no longer have any meaning after these Games. You can see from how Ito and Janet Lynn are considered the 2 best ever what a farce skating scoring and its system of determining winners is. The 2 best ever and only 1 World and 0 Olympic titles between them. Meanwhile a garbage skater like Sotnikova is an Olympic Champion and stunning skaters who make you cry like Kwan and Asada are not. Results only reflect corruption, bribes, politics, and luck, and occasionally a bit of skating too. Quality is what determines the greatness of a skater and always has.

Sotnikova is not any garbage skater. This talk is.

I don't know anything about Ito or whatever. But Kwan didn't get gold was due to her own skates. Same for Asada.

Whatever one thinks about the judging, it is entirely unsuitable to insult the skater. Sotnikova did just one thing: her best. If you prefer her skating, fine. If you prefer YuNa's skating, fine. If you see reasons to doubt the judging, fine. But the skater is above reproach.

bsfan

On the Ice
I don't see any case that Kwan could have won in 98 or 02. She was not exciting to watch in 98 and didn't have better tech content either. In 02, she fell. If Hughs had not won, it would have been someone else.
Mao has tech defects in her jumps and underrotates from time to time. Otherwise she would n't spend 4 years trying to fix them. she too doesn't have all the triples.

Whether a skater is one of the great ever is subjective to me. And I don't want to talk about it. Sotnikova skates for herself, her family, her coaches. I'd watch her any given day rather than Kwan, Mao.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
After this event no win for her will ever be taken seriously again. The perception in the skating world will be any win by her was bought by Putin. I am glad for that.

your in for treat because she will be competing next quad :rofl:
your gonna whine when wins a few more gold medals then

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
After this event no win for her will ever be taken seriously again. The perception in the skating world will be any win by her was bought by Putin. I am glad for that.

:laugh: I'm sure Patrick will be crushed that he's no longer the skater you have a massive hate-on for.

This is unbelievably obtuse to say that no win for her will ever be taken seriously. No win in Russia, maybe, but that can be said for Julia too. Outside of Russia, if Sotnikova manages to win, I'm sure (or hoping) it will be because she's earned it.

As mentioned, it's nice that she's inspired by her win instead of trying to cash in and call it a career, as others have in the past. Perhaps in 2018, she can become a repeat champion, although it's highly unlikely given the young and upcoming talent, as well as the fact that South Korea will not allow her to win again, even if she's landing quads.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
From "she's a headcase" to "when she wins a few more golds". How you've changed your tune. :laugh:

I said, if she wins a World Champion gold, I may like her again, she got better, an Olympic Gold
so Im back to Sotnikova's bandwagon ;)

I was one of her biggest supporter in the forum
until her full headcase fallout in 2012, nothing more off putting than an inconsistent skater

I will watch for Radionova next season as she might do better than Julia next season also
Im starting to fall in love with Elena :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I said, if she wins a World Champion gold, I may like her again, she got better, an Olympic Gold
so Im back to Sotnikova's bandwagon ;)

So when a skater wins Olympic gold, you're on their bandwagon. But when a skater is inconsistent you say cruel, despicable things about them.

What a fan, you are. :sarcasm:

treeloving

Medalist
The Japaness didn't have 8 clean triples + 3A. She had downgradeS.
Sotnikova didn't botched her jump, but a step out on landing of 3 pass jumps. Kim also had an unstable landing on Lutz.

Even she got downgrade her based value is still higher than Adelina. Plus if Mao got downgrade on 3L than Adelina 3T should also be downgraded.

Anyhow, Sotnikova doesn't deserve this much hate.

skatel80

On the Ice
I think this result will be debated years into the future (ala kwan and Lipinski in 98) but I have to say I think Adelina deserved it here , I do think she should have had lower pcs than Kim by a few points and Kostner , But she skated like her life depended on it this week, I think the difference for me was that Adelina skated to win while Yuna skated not to lose. I know many will not agree with me and I respect your opinions but I think Adelina skated like a true champion, all three ladies on the podium skated the best I can remember of any top 3 at the Olympics.

Nater

Match Penalty
I think this result will be debated years into the future (ala kwan and Lipinski in 98) but I have to say I think Adelina deserved it here , I do think she should have had lower pcs than Kim by a few points and Kostner , But she skated like her life depended on it this week, I think the difference for me was that Adelina skated to win while Yuna skated not to lose. I know many will not agree with me and I respect your opinions but I think Adelina skated like a true champion, all three ladies on the podium skated the best I can remember of any top 3 at the Olympics.
Kostner skated the same way as Yuna. She wanted a medal, and it didn't matter what color it was. She was going to make history, and there's nothing that was going to keep her off that Podium. 3 of Kostner's jumping passes scared the living crap out of me. I definitely was getting ready to light a candle for her...

I cannot get over the amount of posing she does in that program though, and the LONG telegraphs. I feel like the telegraphs and posing are like 1/3rd of the time she' doing the program. She did look like she was enjoying being out there. Her smile seemed quite genuine and she was exceptionally graceful and supportive towards the other medalists which shows how truly sweet of a person she is.

Yuna was definitely skating to "not lose" and it showed. I also think her program was easier than a lot of the other skaters. She didn't have many transitions in the program and did a metric ton of crossovers in that program. For most of the program, she had that pained look on her face... It was almost as if she was disinterested or on a business trip (she did smack a smile on towards the middle for a while). Now, I'm hearing word that she was injured (gash on her foot or something) coming into the games. Is this true?

Sotnikova's skate gave me the same feeling Lipinski's skate in 1998 did. She was out there to win, not simply to "protect her placement" the way Kostner and Kim were.

I am super proud of Kostner for keeping it together at the Olympics, though, as they have been her nemesis in the past.

Nater

Match Penalty
The problem is it becomes obvious her win was in fact the script all along. They could have awarded her a gold medal before the event began as the result was determined long in advance.

To be honest, your posts on this matter... You're embarrassing yourself. "Garbage Skater" What kind of person says such a thing?

If I were Sotnikova I'd retire right now. No matter how much she loves skating, nothing is worth the vitriol you people are spewing her way. It's absolutely classless and it's amazing what people are willing to say or do when they can hide behind an internet persona/screen name.