Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by VirMo View Post
    Congratulations Adelina, I hope you are happy! I hope you are happy that you won gold with such controversy, backed by the support of your home crowd and judges, probably you have never even dreamt of it. I hope you really cherish the moment because you will never be able to get any respect even with your shining gold medal!

This is how adults' politics and egos ruin a young promising skater's world-wide reputation and career.
    Such evil venom. This kind of posts should be banned here...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Panini View Post
    I agree with the first half of your comment. Where was the biased judging against Russians in Vancouver? Plushenko was marked very generously, K/S and Leonova weren't really contenders, and V/M & D/W rightfully deserved their placements in ice dance.
    Dom/Sha did not stand a chance from the moment they took to the ice.
    Four years ago they were accused of being racist for their OD.
    Makarova skated clean in the SP & was under-marked.
    Mur/Tra were under-marked in the pairs SP.
    Plushenko was always up against it.
    It's only ever a "fix" when the "Bad Russians" win.
    The racism on these threads is disgusting.
    Also, to say Adelina won because she is Russian is an insult to figure skating not the judging here in Sochi.
    The D/W & V/M lock-in for the past five years has been a "fix" & I'm a fan of them. But can you honestly say that they have been the best two ice dance couples EVERYTIME for the past 5 years ?.
    W/P should have beaten D/W at the 2011 COR in SD.
    Should V/M been in second place in the SD at last years Worlds when they made errors ?.
    But it's only a "fix" when Russians do well.
    Like I said, Adelina is not my favourite skater but I hate to see the vile comments made about her & the Gold medal she has just won.
    Adelina is the new Olympic champion.
    Get over it.

Hic Rhodus, hic salta
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    I don't see any posts actually criticizing Adelina personally. Those who are accusing posters here of doing that are trying to get everyone to stop discussing the fallacies of the judging that took place in Russia.

And of course, whenever these misjudgements occur, the skaters aren't to be blamed, except when and if they defend it in a callous way in an interview, as Patrick Chan used to do.
    I've read that people are writing nasty things on Adelina's Facebook - I don't know first-hand. I meant that Adelina surely belonged on the podium and maybe for her a controversial and somewhat "premature" OGM will be difficult to handle in the future, if she fails to deliver (and after OGM expectations are high), if she suffers injuries, and so on. I hope she won't be thrown under the bus if she experiences any difficulties, you know. Look at Carolina Kostner, she was indeed tore to pieces for years by public opinion, and now she has had her personal triumph.

I know that figure skating is such a hic et nunc sport: you better take what you can because who knows what may happen tomorrow. OTOH, since I like Adelina, I'd love to see her potential fulfilled (not only in terms of hardware).

I think she seems like a very sweet girl. I like her skating much more than Julia's (at this point, anyway). I do think Julia has a great deal of talent, but so does everyone in the top ten!

I still think the skate of the day was by Mao. That was so emotional, and possibly her last skate ever. Oh, Mao, what might have been.

Banned
    Adelina has no facebook

but she has he vk account
    thankfully facebook is just vile

Custom Title
    Looks like we are going to have another Apolo Ohno situation.

Custom Title

All things Adelina Sotnikova

Being a gold medalist among such controversy is never good. I do think she is a good skater that had plenty of potential, but there are going to be so many people thinking she did not deserve it. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't, maybe she would have won even with a fair judging. But if there was any conspiracy, Russa just ruined a young promising skater's future career and life.

I doubt if world-wide figure skating community and fans, of course not all of them, will recognize her as a true champion. I also don't know if she will be able to keep up with this - she hasn't exactly been building up for Olympic Gold like other skaters. I don't even know if she will have motivation to improve herself and keep competing because, well she won OGM already.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    Looks like we are going to have another Apolo Ohno situation.
    By this are you talking about the fact that S. Koreans seem to hate Ohno to an immeasurable degree?

Quote Originally Posted by VirMo View Post
    Being a gold medalist among such controversy is never good. I do think she is a good skater that had plenty of potential, but there are going to be so many people thinking she did not deserve it. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't, maybe she would have won even with a fair judging. But if there was any conspiracy, Russa just ruined a young promising skater's future career and life.

I doubt if world-wide figure skating community and fans, of course not all of them, will recognize her as a true champion. I also don't know if she will be able to keep up with this - she hasn't exactly been building up for Olympic Gold like other skaters. I don't even know if she will have motivation to improve herself and keep competing.
    I will say this: I am impressed with her persistence. She had lived through some dark times in her career and for a moment there it looked like she was out of favor with the Russian fed as the likes of Julia Lipnitskaia and Elena Radionova came to the scene. It makes me hopeful that other skaters, who I've seen struggle, can to reemerge and become a champion.

Banned
    wow, the bots jut keep coming
    don't worry she int retiring anytime soon

she will have plenty of time to prove herself wrong
    I don't think she harnessed half her potential yet, that triple toe height has the makings of a quad !
    she is still a headcase but well see,

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I will say this: I am impressed with her persistence. She had lived through some dark times in her career and for a moment there it looked like she was out of favor with the Russian fed as the likes of Julia Lipnitskaia and Elena Radionova came to the scene. It makes me hopeful that other skaters, who I've seen struggle, can to reemerge and become a champion.
    maybe Mirai, Tuk, is not a lost cause after all

Custom Title
    Adelina is fine and doesn't need any advice from sore losers. Her future is bright and depends entirely on how she manages her career.

The old is gone and you bitter people need to swallow it. There is new youth in this discipline: Adelina, Yulia, Polina, Gracie. New energy and new spirit. And I hope the rules will promote them: this is a sport, not some shmartistic show. Create your own Artistic Games if you want to celebrate ballet. This is about energy and athleticism. And should be.

Custom Title
    Enough with these threads.
    If you don't like the result stop watching.

I hope Liza get inspiration.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    Adelina is fine and doesn't need any advice from sore losers. Her future is bright and depends entirely on how she manages her career.

The old is gone and you bitter people need to swallow it. There is new youth in this discipline: Adelina, Yulia, Polina, Gracie. New energy and new spirit. And I hope the rules will promote them: this is a sport, not some shmartistic show. Create your own Artistic Games if you want to celebrate ballet. This is about youth, energy and athleticism. And should be.
    agreed, the next quad will be about the hard jumps, youthfulness and athleticism
    FS needs new blood ! isn't it a sport first afterall

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast