Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread

Custom Title

Will Sotnikova retire?

Seems like the teens that win tend to (Oksana, Tara, Sarah). While I don't doubt that she could continue, she's now a huge star in Russia and there are probably lots of opportunities. We've already seen Julia overshadow her at competitions--Elena will be a senior next year too. Might it be best to go out on top?

I wonder if we'll see her at worlds...

Custom Title
    Katarina Witt (German Figure Skater) "Shame Gold Medal, Yuna Kim is a real queen" Bill Plaschke (American Sports Journalist) "Kim didn't win...unbelievable...scandal written all over this...Russian Sotnikova wins, fans going crazy, Kim disappears, wrong, wrong" Alex Goldberger (Olympics Researcher at NBC) "Adelina Sotnikova was excellent tonight, but Yuna Kim was robbed"Terra Findlay (Canadian ice dancer) "I'm speechless. Yuna Kim, you are a queen"NBC Olympics (Official Twitter) "Yuna Kim wins Silver. 17 year old Sotnikova wins Gold, and Kostner wins bronze. Do you agree with the results?"ESPN Official Website News Article titled "Home Cooking", "Home-Ice Advantage" CBC Commentary: "That's a shock...Did you see that coming" (of Sotnikova winning) "Well I think I saw a medal coming, I'm just not sure we thought it was going to be that one" "As caught up in the moment as I was... I'm still stuck on quality of skating that Yuna Kim has, and the moments where you see jarring images during Sotnikova that she's not ready yet ...The judges have their job and I really look forward to looking at it again so I can see it with fresh eyes but yes I am sitting here a little stunned"New York Times: "Comparing the Jumps of Sotnikova and Yu-na" included rating of Sotnikova's Triple Flip and Double axel as "Poor" in the free program and Yu-na's ratings consisted of Good only. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------As you can probably tell, the world was keeping an eye on Yuna Kim who has set a World Record for the history of Women's Figure Skating, to defend her gold medalist title this Sochi Olympic 2014. The free skating event took place this morning and nobody denies the fact the Sotnikova did present to her potential. She did an amazing job and showed amazing performance. The one mistake she made was the stumbling after one of her jumps which was - although small - quite visible even to the public who do not know professional knowledge of figure skating. Nevertheless, she achieved her best score of 149.95 which was 0.11 away from Yu-na Kim's world record of 150.06 at the Vancouver Olympics. This comparison illustrates the home advantage already although I do admit that rules have changed since then but we are talking of quality of programme here. Next up was Yuna Kim, she skated and her performance can be shown through what the CBC commenters said "this woman has no equal". She did show tiny unstable landing in one of her jumps, but relative to the stumble shown by Sotnikova, it was not as visible and she carried on with superb acting performance. "If you were to write a textbook, that would be how to do it", "Nobody compares to the flow she takes as she jumps and on the landings, nobody" (CBC)

Rinkside
    Honestly, I think this was Sotnikova's best chance at OGM. She was given a golden opportunity with Olympics being held in her backyard, and she smartly utilized it to her full capacity. She is to be commended for knowing when her time is and using it. However, now that she has her much coveted OGM, the only thing she could possibly want as well must be a Worlds Gold Medal. I doubt it'll be materialized in Tokyo Worlds as I think that one would be more than likely to be reserved for the retiring Japanese skaters like Mao/Akiko, but 2015 Worlds is open to anyone for grabs. So, maybe her federation will back her up until she gets the Worlds Gold Medal (which will occur pretty soon within the next couple of seasons, I predict) and then they'll move onto new girls like Elena, Serafima, and many others who are vying for the top position in their country. If Sotnikova is thinking to defend her title in Pyeonchang by any chance, I won't say it's an impossible dream, but she'll face a heck of competition doing it.

Custom Title

Sotnikov became the sixth person to have beaten Yu-na Kim

In her entire career starting from novice to her swan song stage Sochi Olympics, she has never placed out of podium, won 30 gold medals (based on total only, not counting for sp/fs separate mdelas), 6 silvers, 3 bronzes. All three of her bronze medals only came between 2006 and 2008 when she was suffering from back injury.

Now she has added one silver to her collection and another person on record to have defeated her with a higher score in the same competition.

Nana Takeda(1), Fumie Suguri(1): Novice/Junior only
    Joannie Rochette(1), Mao Asada(4), Miki Ando(2): Novice~Senior

And Adelina Sotnikova(1).

Just thought it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    agreed, the next quad will be about the hard jumps, youthfulness and athleticism
    FS needs new blood ! isn't it a sport first afterall
    I don't know. Mao did an eight-triple program which included a triple-axel and both toe loop and loop as the second jump, and the tech controller anulled that historical skate by making it out that she under-rotated two of her triples, which she did not, so I think the judges who judge according to who knows what criteria make the sports and possibly not the athletes.

The next jump probably won't be about hard jumps. It will continue to be about judges. It is and will continue to be full of youthfulness, athleticism and alot of hard work... on the part of the athletes that is, not the judges.

Custom Title
    I don't have anything against her. People who are criticizing my post should overcome their inferior complex.

It's just not unheard of that young skaters do lose motivation after winning OGM, and I don't know why people have problem with having this prediction.

Banned
    this bitter poster before trashing Adelina was busy wasting his/her time on Julia, once they were satisfied that Julia was a non threat
    they proceeded with Adelina, shameful !

the xenophobes and bots have no shame, this is Adelina's thread
    if you dont like it then leave

I hope she doesn't retire. What I wish is that Tuktamysheva comes back strong, plus Radionova. That's a lot of great skating to look forward to.

Banned
    No, she didn't beat her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jkun View Post
    By this are you talking about the fact that S. Koreans seem to hate Ohno to an immeasurable degree?
    To the point that he had to withdraw from the world championships held in Korea because of death threats? Yes. Even if Adelina developed into a OGM favorite in the next quad, her reception in 2018 will be hostile, if not downright threatening.

Custom Title
    I would be very surprised to see her at Worlds, given the level of emotion this outcome is already generating.

Custom Title
    With Kim, Asada, and Costner gone, her future is bright. She needs more stamina for her FS outside Russia and needs to refine her moves, and take some dance/ballet class for her positions and musicality. I think her basics are stronger than most other youngsters. (though we will have to see some other youngsters with strong basics - like those Chinese girls who have strong basics but lack artistry)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    No, she didn't beat her.
    Well, on record..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yuki90 View Post
    Katarina Witt (German Figure Skater) "Shame Gold Medal, Yuna Kim is a real queen" Bill Plaschke (American Sports Journalist) "Kim didn't win...unbelievable...scandal written all over this...Russian Sotnikova wins, fans going crazy, Kim disappears, wrong, wrong" Alex Goldberger (Olympics Researcher at NBC) "Adelina Sotnikova was excellent tonight, but Yuna Kim was robbed"Terra Findlay (Canadian ice dancer) "I'm speechless. Yuna Kim, you are a queen"NBC Olympics (Official Twitter) "Yuna Kim wins Silver. 17 year old Sotnikova wins Gold, and Kostner wins bronze. Do you agree with the results?"ESPN Official Website News Article titled "Home Cooking", "Home-Ice Advantage" CBC Commentary: "That's a shock...Did you see that coming" (of Sotnikova winning) "Well I think I saw a medal coming, I'm just not sure we thought it was going to be that one" "As caught up in the moment as I was... I'm still stuck on quality of skating that Yuna Kim has, and the moments where you see jarring images during Sotnikova that she's not ready yet ...The judges have their job and I really look forward to looking at it again so I can see it with fresh eyes but yes I am sitting here a little stunned"New York Times: "Comparing the Jumps of Sotnikova and Yu-na" included rating of Sotnikova's Triple Flip and Double axel as "Poor" in the free program and Yu-na's ratings consisted of Good only. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------As you can probably tell, the world was keeping an eye on Yuna Kim who has set a World Record for the history of Women's Figure Skating, to defend her gold medalist title this Sochi Olympic 2014. The free skating event took place this morning and nobody denies the fact the Sotnikova did present to her potential. She did an amazing job and showed amazing performance. The one mistake she made was the stumbling after one of her jumps which was - although small - quite visible even to the public who do not know professional knowledge of figure skating. Nevertheless, she achieved her best score of 149.95 which was 0.11 away from Yu-na Kim's world record of 150.06 at the Vancouver Olympics. This comparison illustrates the home advantage already although I do admit that rules have changed since then but we are talking of quality of programme here. Next up was Yuna Kim, she skated and her performance can be shown through what the CBC commenters said "this woman has no equal". She did show tiny unstable landing in one of her jumps, but relative to the stumble shown by Sotnikova, it was not as visible and she carried on with superb acting performance. "If you were to write a textbook, that would be how to do it", "Nobody compares to the flow she takes as she jumps and on the landings, nobody" (CBC)
    Why are you posting this in a CHEER thread? Agree or disagree with the results, it really is disgusting how people are reacting--and we thought the Mirai/Ashley aftermath was bad!

Man, this makes me think fondly of Yuna Mao Rivalry and actually miss it. Oh, hindsight. I can't believe their era is over.

I hope Mao rocks the Worlds. I'm not sure if Caro is going, but if she is, good luck to both of them!

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast