Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread

guanchi

On the Ice
So sad- I use to be a fan of Adelina. She had perhaps the complete package, except for artistry, interpretation, correct edge on the lutz, horrid entrances and exits on her jumps. I thought she would be the one to get gold AFTER Sochi- just not now, she wasn't ready imo, and lacked sorely when compared to the big three, esp. in ease of movement and musical interpretaton.
But now, after these results, I will forever think of her as a tainted champion, and not the true gold medal winner. Not her fault, really, but my interest in watching her skating has chilled to absolute zero. Forgettable *champion*

CarneAsada

Medalist
That is mean. DO you wish bad luck to Davis and White and Hanyu or V and T - all three of these could be seen in the same light as Adelina.
They cannot in any way be seen in the same light as both D/W and V/T performed properly and Hanyu at least had fewer misses than his competitors. Adelina had flaws that were completely ignored and a miss that barely got a slap on the wrist.

Rationality

Spectator
I'm going to start off with stating that I'm Korean, but I've been a fan of Kim Yuna since before she was having back problems.

Yes, I was disappointed (and a little in shock) about the results, but people cursing Adelina are idiots.

If anything, I almost feel sorry for her - because she could have won without the biased judging! It was easily a medal performance, but Carolina had one too, and Yuna had a clean skate. Every time she looks at that medal, she'll wonder if she won it, or if the judges had given it to her. There's no way that can be a good feeling.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm going to start off with stating that I'm Korean, but I've been a fan of Kim Yuna since before she was having back problems.

Yes, I was disappointed (and a little in shock) about the results, but people cursing Adelina are idiots.

If anything, I almost feel sorry for her - because she could have won without the biased judging! It was easily a medal performance, but Carolina had one too, and Yuna had a clean skate. Every time she looks at that medal, she'll wonder if she won it, or if the judges had given it to her. There's no way that can be a good feeling.

It won't be if she dwells on the controversy. However, she ought to take the Jason Brown philosophy (as stated in this interview http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2013/11/interview-with-jason-brown.html):

Along with this, I constantly strive to best my highest scores, and to continue to learn and grow from every experience that I'm fortunate enough to be given, and take what I've learned through the next steps of my journey. I believe that my stiffest competition is myself. Every time I step onto the ice to compete, I want to best myself. I have no control over what anyone else does or how the judges will score, and, at the end of the day, if I skated and performed to the best of my ability, I'm happy. I can't do more than that.

Adelina turned in her best performances of the season, and possibility her career. Really in the end that is what should matter for her. The OGM is nice, but I think more importantly, she turned in two great skates. I may not agree with the results (I still haven't seen the skates yet), but I think I can still appreciate the effort she put in at this competition and how she stepped up to the plate.

hurrah

Medalist
What a horrible thing to say. She skated her heart out and the judges took note. Also had the most technical program of them all.

Well, I think all the skaters skated their hearts out, and she didn't have the most technical program. Mao did. Mao had the most technically difficult program in all of figure skating history, and she pulled it off. And she scored lower than Adelina, and by the way, Mao is a better skater than Adelina. Did you know that?

chairmanmao

Final Flight
So sad- I use to be a fan of Adelina. She had perhaps the complete package, except for artistry, interpretation, correct edge on the lutz, horrid entrances and exits on her jumps. I thought she would be the one to get gold AFTER Sochi- just not now, she wasn't ready imo, and lacked sorely when compared to the big three, esp. in ease of movement and musical interpretaton.
But now, after these results, I will forever think of her as a tainted champion, and not the true gold medal winner. Not her fault, really, but my interest in watching her skating has chilled to absolute zero. Forgettable *champion*

I was a fan please that's bull. You are just a bitter hater. How pissed off Adelina haters are that they are now saying she has puny jumps like Lipnitskaya.

Manitou

Medalist
No one is threatening anyone. Pangtongfan is saying (incorrectly, IMHO) that Sotnikova will face tough judging in Korea, where skating officials might hold a grudge against her.

Which skating official? Who? Give a name!
By the time Adelina skates in Korea, Yuna as a skater will be a history and will be probably commentating for the Korean television. And I don't think any other Korean skater will be in position to challenge Adelina. So she is perfectly safe from any pro-Korean bias :laugh:

guanchi

On the Ice
I was a fan please that's bull. You are just a bitter hater.
And who are you, worthless troll boy?
I've always admired Adelina's skating, but she was not champion material on his night. Sorry that you are blind and bitter (mostly for mao out of contention) to see that.

guanchi

On the Ice
I was a fan please that's bull. You are just a bitter hater. How pissed off Adelina haters are that they are now saying she has puny jumps like Lipnitskaya.

Now you're just an idiot- you have no reading comprehension whatsoever. Bad entrances and exits =/= to puny jumps.

cooper

Medalist
By the time Adelina skates in Korea, Yuna as a skater will be a history and will be probably commentating for the Korean television. And I don't think any other Korean skater will be in position to challenge Adelina. So she is perfectly safe from any pro-Korean bias :laugh:

you're so dam* cocky.. relax.. before you start celebrating make sure that 4years for now everything is good.. you never know.. one injury or puberty will hit one skater and that will be it.. humility...

chairmanmao

Final Flight
And who are you, worthless troll boy?
I've always admired Adelina's skating, but she was not champion material on his night. Sorry that you are blind and bitter (mostly for mao out of contention) to see that.

Most Mao fans are I'm pretty sure over the moon with what she put out tonight including myself. You Yuna fans meanwhile are wallowing in bitterness.

guanchi

On the Ice
Most Mao fans are I'm pretty sure over the moon with what she put out tonight including myself. You Yuna fans meanwhile are wallowing in bitterness.
Again you have no reading comprehension- where in my post is any bitterness over the result. It's just that I've lost interest in her skating that you've concluded that it's bitterness, you sad trollbot? And why did you post about you being over the moon about Mao- did I ask about that? Why should I care about Mao's result or her fan's feeling?

cooper

Medalist

please don't generalize everything.. not all yuna fans are bitter.. some even are relieved that it is over.. and some are happy that yuna at least got a medal..and that record of not finishing outside of the podium is intact.. :p

김연아

Hey, why are you picking on me? I don't think Adelina will face any bias in Korea, I was just helping you understand what pangtongfan wrote.

But as for Kim being forgotten in four years, no, by then she will be so incredibly rich that she will personally build the Yuna kim arena to house the event. (Taking time off from her charitable work with UNICEF, etc.) :yes:

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I am from the US and I do think it was fair that Adelina won, she had the highest technical content, great spins and jumps. Yuna and Carolina had less technical content in their programs. Carolina didn't do a triple triple combination. They both scored very high.
I don't understand why people, including Ashley thing the judging was unfair.

Speaking of "bots," have you notice how cool the Japanese and Korean skating enthusiasts have been this time around, compared to four years ago? I think it is because, like their idols, they are four years older.

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
But it looks like Mao was called for under rotated jumps on 2
Well, I think all the skaters skated their hearts out, and she didn't have the most technical program. Mao did. Mao had the most technically difficult program in all of figure skating history, and she pulled it off. And she scored lower than Adelina, and by the way, Mao is a better skater than Adelina. Did you know that?

hurrah

Medalist
But it looks like Mao was called for under rotated jumps on 2

Well, she shouldn't have been. If any under-rotation call was going to be made, it should have been the axel, which was borderline 1/4 short. The two that she was called on? No way. They were rotated and should have been ratified.