Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    If she is wise she probably will. I wouldnt be surprised to see her turn into the next Chait & Shaknovsky if she continues given the huge fury over her win. Had she won the bronze or even silver (despite that she clearly didnt deserve a silver) she would be lauded as the next #1 in womens skating. Now I wouldnt be surprised if there is a huge backlash in the scores over one of the most controversial and fixed victories ever, and it ruins her career should she go on. Either way I wont be watching. After Worlds I am done with skating for the next 4 years atleast. These Olympics have totally turned me off the sport for awhile. I will go see some tour s and exhibitions but nothing that have judges who showed here there isnt even a within reason limit to the amount of rubbish they can get away with. They could literally have given Peter Liebers or Kevin Reynolds the gold here too, they can do anything they darn please with no repercusions, so as much as I like skating I will stick to the REAL sports for awhile.

I could also see her turning into Evgeny Plushenko, not daring to step out of Russia hardly ever again, yet staying an active competitor while mostly skating only in Nationals and other events held in Russia.
    Agreed 1000% on Russia and its FS federation.

P.S. I wish the girl well, though. She was, like you said, one of my favorites going forwards post-Yuna/Mao era. Not sure what's going to happen to her now but I hope she doesn't stop.

Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    create your own Artistic Games if you want to celebrate ballet. This is about energy and athleticism. And should be.
    Yup, it's called sport for a reason.

Official results in figure skating no longer have any meaning after these Games. You can see from how Ito and Janet Lynn are considered the 2 best ever what a farce skating scoring and its system of determining winners is. The 2 best ever and only 1 World and 0 Olympic titles between them. Meanwhile a garbage skater like Sotnikova is an Olympic Champion and stunning skaters who make you cry like Kwan and Asada are not. Results only reflect corruption, bribes, politics, and luck, and occasionally a bit of skating too. Quality is what determines the greatness of a skater and always has.
    That is a great point. That is why I do not get too excited over the outcome a a particular contest.

Custom Title
    Heck I'm trying to convince myself to stick it out for worlds. I just can't deal with the judging anymore. Things have to change.

Custom Title
    It's unbelievable how people talk as if Yuna "Textbook Jumps" Kim were technically inferior to Adelina or something. Adelina received unbelievable GOEs for her jumps as well, both in SP and LP. It's surreal.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Very good point Krislite.

Mao Asada 8 clean triples with 3A scored 142
    Russian with 7 triple program and 1 botched jump scored 149
    Seriously, for anyone who's defending Sotnikova's win with the "She did one more triple!!11" guff, how come Mao didn't win the free skate?

Custom Title
    And if she dares to skate at the next Olympics in KOREA I can only say she has some huge balls.
    Are you threatening her? I am sure we can report your post to the authorities. And I am sure they can track you down for threatening an athlete.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by matt0807 View Post
    Seriously, for anyone who's defending Sotnikova's win with the "She did one more triple!!11" guff, how come Mao didn't win the free skate?
    The scores are not right, but the placements are.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    The scores are not right, but the placements are.
    Good work avoiding the question.

I could also see her turning into Evgeny Plushenko, not daring to step out of Russia hardly ever again, yet staying an active competitor while mostly skating only in Nationals and other events held in Russia.
    I don't agree about Plushenko. He's a seven-time European champion, of course he can step out of Russia if he want. He has more talent than most young skaters these days, he was undefeatable on his prime time. Plushenko is a legend and even Yagudin team acknowledge that (I'm Yagudin team.)

Custom Title
    Are you threatening her? I am sure we can report your post to the authorities. And I am sure they can track you down for threatening an athlete.
    As deplorable Ven's comment comes off, the thought that you can deploy authorities for mere speech on the internet that is far from reality can perhaps only exist in Putin Russia.

Oh, I am scared after writing that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by usethis2 View Post
    As deplorable Ven's comment comes off, the thought that you can deploy authorities for mere speech on the internet that are far from reality can perhaps only exist in Putin Russia.

Oh, I am scared after writing that.
    This is not for speech. This is for threatening an athlete. And this is not allowed anywhere.

Custom Title
    This is not for speech. This is for threatening an athlete. And this is not allowed anywhere.
    What threat? If I say I will beat you up if you post here one more time do you think you can have authorities come at my door to arrest me? Perhaps in Russia.

On the Ice
    I don't think Pangton's comment comes across as a credible or actionable threat. Childish yes.

No one is threatening anyone. Pangtongfan is saying (incorrectly, IMHO) that Sotnikova will face tough judging in Korea, where skating officials might hold a grudge against her.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast