Kim and Asada: Greatest Rivalry Of All Time | Golden Skate

Kim and Asada: Greatest Rivalry Of All Time

att

Rinkside
I got to say that yuna and mao def. the greatest rivalry of all time..they push each other beyond their limit.,they take FS to another level.they owe and should be thankful to each other..,it's just wonderful and joy for me to be part of their amazing journey.,,.
Mao- i'm glad that she skate her heart out tonight.her fighting spirit it's just amazing,.and as yuna fan i got to say that mao has played and important part to yuna success..
Yuna- to finish her career even it's not gold is golden for me..it's a gift for me that she decide to skate again here.she is and will always be QUEEN YUNA in my heart..thank you for everything!

Vancouver 2010 forever be my favourite ladies FS of all time..if i had such power i would give both of them gold..=)what ever happen in the future i know i will always support both of them and wish them the best of luck!

-sorry my eng not that good

aarts132

Spectator
I cried for Mao and Yuna watching ladies LP! It makes me so sad that they are leaving competitive skating...
They are true champions and will be missed so much..
Wish them all the happiness!

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Have to agree with Yagudin vs. Plushenko. At their prime, both had nerves of steel, coupled with impeccable technique, which meant that they consistently delivered. The competition was nail-biting because it then came down to "who delivered the more convincing performance? with more command, charisma and momentum?"

In terms of pure talent, Yu-na and Mao could be pitted against each other and both are two of the greatest ladies skaters, but Mao lacked the competitive grit to get her act together when it mattered. The showdowns were often anti-climactic and it didn't help that Mao's technique began to unravel from around 2009.

If Carolina Kostner had not been so much of a headcase, she would have made an amazing rival for Yu-na. Frankly, I think Yu-na’s competitive dominance was to her disadvantage because it never compelled her to challenge her utmost limits. A Carolina jumping 3-3s, armed with programs like Ave Maria and Bolero, would have kept Yu-na’s competitive fire aflame to bring back the 3Lo and strategically plan masterpiece programs. her Sochi programs were excellent in their own right and they fit Yu-na to a T, but they were more programs she personally liked than crowd-friendly programs that hit PCS jackpots. a consistent Carolina could have changed that.

Becki

Medalist
Have to agree with Yagudin vs. Plushenko. At their prime, both had nerves of steel, coupled with impeccable technique, which meant that they consistently delivered. The competition was nail-biting because it then came down to "who delivered the more convincing performance? with more command, charisma and momentum?"

In terms of pure talent, Yu-na and Mao could be pitted against each other and both are two of the greatest ladies skaters, but Mao lacked the competitive grit to get her act together when it mattered. The showdowns were often anti-climactic and it didn't help that Mao's technique began to unravel from around 2009.

If Carolina Kostner had not been so much of a headcase, she would have made an amazing rival for Yu-na. Frankly, I think Yu-na’s competitive dominance was to her disadvantage because it never compelled her to challenge her utmost limits. A Carolina jumping 3-3s, armed with programs like Ave Maria and Bolero, would have kept Yu-na’s competitive fire aflame to bring back the 3Lo and strategically plan masterpiece programs. her Sochi programs were excellent in their own right and they fit Yu-na to a T, but they were more programs she personally liked than crowd-friendly programs that hit PCS jackpots. a consistent Carolina could have changed that.

The same could be said for a consistent Mao. At one point, Yuna was training 3As just so she can beat Mao.

moviechick

On the Ice
In terms of pure on ice rivalry, I think Mao and Yuna are tops. Mostly cause they are almost exactly the same age and have been competing against each other since Juniors, their competitive span is so long and in Vancouver, they both really gave it their all, which made it such a great competition to watch.

Plushenko vs. Yagudin has them beat on the drama though. But really, it doesn't pack exactly the same punch cause Plushenko is 2.5 years younger than Yagudin and the era they were truly competitive against each other was only a few years.

guanchi

On the Ice
Not sure if Plush vs Yags is the greatest rivalry, though their feelings for each other were never masked. Plush only came into his own after getting Mishin all his own, and after Yags greatest triumph. By the time Plush was dominating, Yags was gone.

MiRé

Match Penalty
I would like to say, it's not the greatest, but it is the most beautiful rivalry one will ever see in figure skating.

guanchi

On the Ice
After 2010, there wasn't much of a rivalry. Caro was a much stronger competitor for Yuna than Mao as this point.

hurrah

Medalist
I think Plushenko and Yagudin was the greatest rivalry, because, both being Russians, could really compete with each other. They had the luxury of knowing that whoever skated better that night would really win.

I cannot say that Yuna and Mao rivalry was great at all. It was the first major rivalry under CoP, and their 'rivalry' only revealed that winning was basically about playing the Federation political game. It was really frustrating to see it played out through out the years, TBH. I think both skaters performed knowing this, and it has to have added tension to their relationship that shouldn't have been there They should really have been allowed to just be athletes. Though, I think that Yuna came to be a very good politician while Mao continues to be totally inept politically (and Mao probably has no desire to be a politician either). Yuna, on the other hand, probably likes the political life and I think, might even hold an office one day.

guanchi

On the Ice
Look up the definition of rivarly
And what is your definition?
Just calling it like I see it- Mao had only one world bronze and no Olympic medal (Gahd, she was sixth twice at worlds). Caro had 1 world gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze and 1 olympic medal. Def. closer to Yuna's 1 world gold, 1 silver, and 1 olympic medal.

minze

Medalist
And what is your definition?
Just calling it like I see it- Mao had only one world bronze and no Olympic medal (Gahd, she was sixth twice at worlds). Caro had 1 world gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze and 1 olympic medal. Def. closer to Yuna's 1 world gold, 1 silver, and 1 olympic medal.

Yeah a bronze medal is nothing? Look up Mao Asada. 2world gold medal, 3GPF the only thing she is missing is Olympic gold. What do you get out downplaying someone's accomplishments. Stop the vitrol celebrate that this amazing women are retiring
Some more Mao highligts
Fifth woman in history to land the triple axel jump in international competition.
Second woman to break the 200-point barrier in international competition.
Third Japanese female figure skater to win an Olympic medal.
Fourth Japanese figure skater to win an Olympic medal.
First woman to break the 200-point barrier three consecutive times in international competition.
First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at the Winter Olympics.
First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at an ISU competition.
First woman to land the triple axel at the World Junior Championships.
First woman to land the triple axel in junior international competition.
First woman to land two triple axel jumps in the same program.
First woman to land three triple axel jumps in one competition.
First figure skater in a singles discipline from Asia to win multiple world championships.
First figure skater in a singles discipline, male or female, to win all 7 of the current events on the Grand Prix circuit.
Has the second-most number of victories on the Grand Prix circuit (14) by a woman, behind Irina Slutskaya.
Record holder for most Grand Prix Final titles won by a woman, tied with Irina Slutskaya.

att

Rinkside
Mao was 2 times world champion 1 oly silver medalist..correct me if i'm wrong.. the reason why i say yuna and mao greatest rivalry is that they the same age..it's almost like they grew together..,and now even retiring together well not really..mao will compete at world..and i personally grew up watching them..

ericka141

On the Ice
More than anything I wanted to finally see Mao at the top of the podium and Yuna in second place, and I wanted them to hug and congratulate each other. :(

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Valid point. But I think Carolina has the edge in terms of pure quality. Carolina Kostner can match Yu-na on every jump when she's clean, but I can't say the same for Mao. IMHO Mao is technically sloppy at times (flutzing, underrotating, two-footing) which means she loses out on GOE and is made vulnerable to technical calls. Her strategy is usually jump quantity over quality.

Having seen all three of them live, I would also say that Carolina and Yu-na have much greater presence on ice. Mao is gorgeous to behold, but she lacks the dominance and force the other two have. IMHO the judges would give PCS in the order of Carolina = Yu-na > Mao if they were to go back to back

ks777

Record Breaker
no, Nancy vs. Tonya were the best. Also Yuna and Mao really didn't push each others that much. If it did, Yuna would have put 3loop in her program.