Kim and Asada: Greatest Rivalry Of All Time | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kim and Asada: Greatest Rivalry Of All Time

minze

Medalist
I would like to say, it's not the greatest, but it is the most beautiful rivalry one will ever see in figure skating.

I love your comment. Despite everything, these two women have given so much to the sport. At the end of the day they respect each other. They both along with Carolina will leave a hole in figure skating.

hurrah

Medalist
no, Nancy vs. Tonya were the best.

Oh, yeah. That was really a good rivalry, too. I think the rivalry really becomes a rivalry when both skaters are from the country, because then there's not that much Federation presence.

minze

Medalist
Valid point. But I think Carolina has the edge in terms of pure quality. Carolina Kostner can match Yu-na on every jump when she's clean, but I can't say the same for Mao. IMHO Mao is technically sloppy at times (flutzing, underrotating, two-footing) which means she loses out on GOE and is made vulnerable to technical calls. Her strategy is usually jump quantity over quality.

Having seen all three of them live, I would also say that Carolina and Yu-na have much greater presence on ice. Mao is gorgeous to behold, but she lacks the dominance and force the other two have. IMHO the judges would give PCS in the order of Carolina = Yu-na > Mao if they were to go back to back

I don't think the purpose of this is to compare and contrast. There are plenty of threads that do that. It is about the fact that these women have competed together for about a decade.

shine

Record Breaker
Yeah a bronze medal is nothing? Look up Mao Asada. 2world gold medal, 3GPF the only thing she is missing is Olympic gold. What do you get out downplaying someone's accomplishments. Stop the vitrol celebrate that this amazing women are retiring
Some more Mao highligts
Fifth woman in history to land the triple axel jump in international competition.
Second woman to break the 200-point barrier in international competition.
Third Japanese female figure skater to win an Olympic medal.
Fourth Japanese figure skater to win an Olympic medal.
First woman to break the 200-point barrier three consecutive times in international competition.
First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at the Winter Olympics.
First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at an ISU competition.
First woman to land the triple axel at the World Junior Championships.
First woman to land the triple axel in junior international competition.
First woman to land two triple axel jumps in the same program.
First woman to land three triple axel jumps in one competition.
First figure skater in a singles discipline from Asia to win multiple world championships.
First figure skater in a singles discipline, male or female, to win all 7 of the current events on the Grand Prix circuit.
Has the second-most number of victories on the Grand Prix circuit (14) by a woman, behind Irina Slutskaya.
Record holder for most Grand Prix Final titles won by a woman, tied with Irina Slutskaya.

How does this support the original claim that Kim and Asada are the greatest rivalry? This is merely a list of Mao's achievements.

The rivalry about ended in 2008 when Kim became clearly the front runner. There really wasn't that much of a rivalry since then, especially with Kim's semi retirement, Ando winning again in 2011, Kostner's win in 2012 (while Asada finished 6th in both years) and Kim again winning in 2013.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I don't think the purpose of this is to compare and contrast. There are plenty of threads that do that. It is about the fact that these women have competed together for about a decade.

I should've quoted. Someone directly replied to my post, saying that Mao would've made an equally tough competitor had she been more consistent. I just wanted to explain why I'd singled out Carolina in my original post. No damage intended

Becki

Medalist
More than anything I wanted to finally see Mao at the top of the podium and Yuna in second place, and I wanted them to hug and congratulate each other. :(

I wanted to see that too. I think if a clean Mao beat a clean Yuna, Yuna would've been more at ease.

hurrah

Medalist
Look, their's wasn't a rivalry at all. They both were puppets in a Federation political game. But Yuna was quicker on the uptake as to how it works. Mao stubbornly stayed being a 'true athlete'. Yuna kind of acknowledged it in the choice of her short program, I thought, as if to say, yes, I was a clown, here's my last time to be a clown, hope you enjoyed it all, kind of message.

observe

Rinkside
Mao fans v. Yuna fans at the extreme end - that was the ugliest rivalry I've seen, competing against whoever does a good job of tainting the other skater's reputation.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Mao fans v. Yuna fans at the extreme end - that was the ugliest rivalry I've seen, competing against whoever does a good job of tainting the other skater's reputation.

:agree:
Unfortunately some fans always took this rivalry a little bit too personal.

att

Rinkside
well everyone has their own opinion..i didn't create this thread to start a fight or anything..it just for me it's quite emotional..i mean i grew up watching them..,and now they going to retire it's just so many mix feeling..

minze

Medalist
How does this support the original claim that Kim and Asada are the greatest rivalry? This is merely a list of Mao's achievements.

The rivalry about ended in 2008 when Kim became clearly the front runner. There really wasn't that much of a rivalry since then, especially with Kim's semi retirement, Ando winning again in 2011, Kostner's win in 2012 (while Asada finished 6th in both years) and Kim again winning in 2013.

I forgot Mao won worlds in 2010. Just because some wins more does not mean there is no rivalry. And I don't mean it in a bad way. They challenge each other to be better. By the way, I will say it again. IT IS OVER. No need to fight over this. I just hated when people play down Mao's accomplishments. So , I like to remind them.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Look, their's wasn't a rivalry at all. They both were puppets in a Federation political game. But Yuna was quicker on the uptake as to how it works. Mao stubbornly stayed being a 'true athlete'. Yuna kind of acknowledged it in the choice of her short program, I thought, as if to say, yes, I was a clown, here's my last time to be a clown, hope you enjoyed it all, kind of message.

Pretty much. The only rivalry in their careers and in skating in general is the same. ISU + Russian federation money + Eastern bloc corruption like Balkov vs everyone else. So really Yu Na and Mao were on the same team (everyone else).

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
It's difficult to compare rivalries and almost impossible to decide which one is the best, but Mao vs Yuna was definitely one of the most beautiful rivalries ever.

redleg

Rinkside

That'd be the historical sidebar between the two countries.

vegarin

On the Ice
Yuna said at her last interview that Mao was the most memorable skater to her, and that she watched her FP and was choked up when Mao was crying. She understood the pressure Mao was under very well. And that she was glad that she no longer had to be part of any rivalries.

And I believe Mao said similarly great things about Yuna, according to some Japanese news articles.

acco-lade

Rinkside
Yuna said at her last interview that Mao was the most memorable skater to her, and t
hat she watched her FP and was choked up when Mao was crying. She understood the pressure Mao was under very well. And that she was glad that she no longer had to be part of any rivalries.

And I believe Mao said similarly great things about Yuna, according to some Japanese news articles.

I wish both would be good friends.
Who knows more than themselve what the pressure each should carry on her shouder was exactly?
It's over. They have done and left many things in this sports. They are reserved to enjoy their life as wanted not by others. May they be happy...

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Yuna said at her last interview that Mao was the most memorable skater to her, and that she watched her FP and was choked up when Mao was crying. She understood the pressure Mao was under very well. And that she was glad that she no longer had to be part of any rivalries.

that's so sweet

co queens

adelina can be the court jester

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Aw ... They are both such talented ladies! I hope Mao will go to Worlds. :love: