Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kim and Asada: Greatest Rivalry Of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    And what is your definition?
    Just calling it like I see it- Mao had only one world bronze and no Olympic medal (Gahd, she was sixth twice at worlds). Caro had 1 world gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze and 1 olympic medal. Def. closer to Yuna's 1 world gold, 1 silver, and 1 olympic medal.
    Yeah a bronze medal is nothing? Look up Mao Asada. 2world gold medal, 3GPF the only thing she is missing is Olympic gold. What do you get out downplaying someone's accomplishments. Stop the vitrol celebrate that this amazing women are retiring
    Some more Mao highligts
    Fifth woman in history to land the triple axel jump in international competition.
    Second woman to break the 200-point barrier in international competition.
    Third Japanese female figure skater to win an Olympic medal.
    Fourth Japanese figure skater to win an Olympic medal.
    First woman to break the 200-point barrier three consecutive times in international competition.
    First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at the Winter Olympics.
    First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at an ISU competition.
    First woman to land the triple axel at the World Junior Championships.
    First woman to land the triple axel in junior international competition.
    First woman to land two triple axel jumps in the same program.
    First woman to land three triple axel jumps in one competition.
    First figure skater in a singles discipline from Asia to win multiple world championships.
    First figure skater in a singles discipline, male or female, to win all 7 of the current events on the Grand Prix circuit.
    Has the second-most number of victories on the Grand Prix circuit (14) by a woman, behind Irina Slutskaya.
    Record holder for most Grand Prix Final titles won by a woman, tied with Irina Slutskaya.

On the Ice
    Mao was 2 times world champion 1 oly silver medalist..correct me if i'm wrong.. the reason why i say yuna and mao greatest rivalry is that they the same age..it's almost like they grew together..,and now even retiring together well not really..mao will compete at world..and i personally grew up watching them..

On the Ice
    More than anything I wanted to finally see Mao at the top of the podium and Yuna in second place, and I wanted them to hug and congratulate each other. :(

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Valid point. But I think Carolina has the edge in terms of pure quality. Carolina Kostner can match Yu-na on every jump when she's clean, but I can't say the same for Mao. IMHO Mao is technically sloppy at times (flutzing, underrotating, two-footing) which means she loses out on GOE and is made vulnerable to technical calls. Her strategy is usually jump quantity over quality.

Having seen all three of them live, I would also say that Carolina and Yu-na have much greater presence on ice. Mao is gorgeous to behold, but she lacks the dominance and force the other two have. IMHO the judges would give PCS in the order of Carolina = Yu-na > Mao if they were to go back to back

no, Nancy vs. Tonya were the best. Also Yuna and Mao really didn't push each others that much. If it did, Yuna would have put 3loop in her program.

Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    I would like to say, it's not the greatest, but it is the most beautiful rivalry one will ever see in figure skating.
    I love your comment. Despite everything, these two women have given so much to the sport. At the end of the day they respect each other. They both along with Carolina will leave a hole in figure skating.

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    no, Nancy vs. Tonya were the best.
    Oh, yeah. That was really a good rivalry, too. I think the rivalry really becomes a rivalry when both skaters are from the country, because then there's not that much Federation presence.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    no, Nancy vs. Tonya were the best.
    Only in terms of spectacle and drama. Neither of them have even won a world title.

Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    Only in terms of spectacle and drama. Neither of them have even won a world title.
    well I kind of wanted to see them pull hair or slap each others once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    Valid point. But I think Carolina has the edge in terms of pure quality. Carolina Kostner can match Yu-na on every jump when she's clean, but I can't say the same for Mao. IMHO Mao is technically sloppy at times (flutzing, underrotating, two-footing) which means she loses out on GOE and is made vulnerable to technical calls. Her strategy is usually jump quantity over quality.

Having seen all three of them live, I would also say that Carolina and Yu-na have much greater presence on ice. Mao is gorgeous to behold, but she lacks the dominance and force the other two have. IMHO the judges would give PCS in the order of Carolina = Yu-na > Mao if they were to go back to back
    I don't think the purpose of this is to compare and contrast. There are plenty of threads that do that. It is about the fact that these women have competed together for about a decade.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Yeah a bronze medal is nothing? Look up Mao Asada. 2world gold medal, 3GPF the only thing she is missing is Olympic gold. What do you get out downplaying someone's accomplishments. Stop the vitrol celebrate that this amazing women are retiring
    Some more Mao highligts
    Fifth woman in history to land the triple axel jump in international competition.
    Second woman to break the 200-point barrier in international competition.
    Third Japanese female figure skater to win an Olympic medal.
    Fourth Japanese figure skater to win an Olympic medal.
    First woman to break the 200-point barrier three consecutive times in international competition.
    First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at the Winter Olympics.
    First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at an ISU competition.
    First woman to land the triple axel at the World Junior Championships.
    First woman to land the triple axel in junior international competition.
    First woman to land two triple axel jumps in the same program.
    First woman to land three triple axel jumps in one competition.
    First figure skater in a singles discipline from Asia to win multiple world championships.
    First figure skater in a singles discipline, male or female, to win all 7 of the current events on the Grand Prix circuit.
    Has the second-most number of victories on the Grand Prix circuit (14) by a woman, behind Irina Slutskaya.
    Record holder for most Grand Prix Final titles won by a woman, tied with Irina Slutskaya.
    How does this support the original claim that Kim and Asada are the greatest rivalry? This is merely a list of Mao's achievements.

The rivalry about ended in 2008 when Kim became clearly the front runner. There really wasn't that much of a rivalry since then, especially with Kim's semi retirement, Ando winning again in 2011, Kostner's win in 2012 (while Asada finished 6th in both years) and Kim again winning in 2013.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    I don't think the purpose of this is to compare and contrast. There are plenty of threads that do that. It is about the fact that these women have competed together for about a decade.
    I should've quoted. Someone directly replied to my post, saying that Mao would've made an equally tough competitor had she been more consistent. I just wanted to explain why I'd singled out Carolina in my original post. No damage intended

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ericka141 View Post
    More than anything I wanted to finally see Mao at the top of the podium and Yuna in second place, and I wanted them to hug and congratulate each other. :(
    I wanted to see that too. I think if a clean Mao beat a clean Yuna, Yuna would've been more at ease.

Look, their's wasn't a rivalry at all. They both were puppets in a Federation political game. But Yuna was quicker on the uptake as to how it works. Mao stubbornly stayed being a 'true athlete'. Yuna kind of acknowledged it in the choice of her short program, I thought, as if to say, yes, I was a clown, here's my last time to be a clown, hope you enjoyed it all, kind of message.

Rinkside
    Mao fans v. Yuna fans at the extreme end - that was the ugliest rivalry I've seen, competing against whoever does a good job of tainting the other skater's reputation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast