Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Kim and Asada: Greatest Rivalry Of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by observe View Post
    Mao fans v. Yuna fans at the extreme end - that was the ugliest rivalry I've seen, competing against whoever does a good job of tainting the other skater's reputation.

Unfortunately some fans always took this rivalry a little bit too personal.

On the Ice
    well everyone has their own opinion..i didn't create this thread to start a fight or anything..it just for me it's quite emotional..i mean i grew up watching them..,and now they going to retire it's just so many mix feeling..

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    How does this support the original claim that Kim and Asada are the greatest rivalry? This is merely a list of Mao's achievements.

The rivalry about ended in 2008 when Kim became clearly the front runner. There really wasn't that much of a rivalry since then, especially with Kim's semi retirement, Ando winning again in 2011, Kostner's win in 2012 (while Asada finished 6th in both years) and Kim again winning in 2013.
    I forgot Mao won worlds in 2010. Just because some wins more does not mean there is no rivalry. And I don't mean it in a bad way. They challenge each other to be better. By the way, I will say it again. IT IS OVER. No need to fight over this. I just hated when people play down Mao's accomplishments. So , I like to remind them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Look, their's wasn't a rivalry at all. They both were puppets in a Federation political game. But Yuna was quicker on the uptake as to how it works. Mao stubbornly stayed being a 'true athlete'. Yuna kind of acknowledged it in the choice of her short program, I thought, as if to say, yes, I was a clown, here's my last time to be a clown, hope you enjoyed it all, kind of message.
    Pretty much. The only rivalry in their careers and in skating in general is the same. ISU + Russian federation money + Eastern bloc corruption like Balkov vs everyone else. So really Yu Na and Mao were on the same team (everyone else).

It's difficult to compare rivalries and almost impossible to decide which one is the best, but Mao vs Yuna was definitely one of the most beautiful rivalries ever.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by observe View Post
    Mao fans v. Yuna fans at the extreme end - that was the ugliest rivalry I've seen, competing against whoever does a good job of tainting the other skater's reputation.
    That'd be the historical sidebar between the two countries.

Yuna said at her last interview that Mao was the most memorable skater to her, and that she watched her FP and was choked up when Mao was crying. She understood the pressure Mao was under very well. And that she was glad that she no longer had to be part of any rivalries.

And I believe Mao said similarly great things about Yuna, according to some Japanese news articles.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by vegarin View Post
    Yuna said at her last interview that Mao was the most memorable skater to her, and t
    hat she watched her FP and was choked up when Mao was crying. She understood the pressure Mao was under very well. And that she was glad that she no longer had to be part of any rivalries.

And I believe Mao said similarly great things about Yuna, according to some Japanese news articles.
    I wish both would be good friends.
    Who knows more than themselve what the pressure each should carry on her shouder was exactly?
    It's over. They have done and left many things in this sports. They are reserved to enjoy their life as wanted not by others. May they be happy...

Banned
    Yuna said at her last interview that Mao was the most memorable skater to her, and that she watched her FP and was choked up when Mao was crying. She understood the pressure Mao was under very well. And that she was glad that she no longer had to be part of any rivalries.

that's so sweet

co queens

adelina can be the court jester

Aw ... They are both such talented ladies! I hope Mao will go to Worlds.

I immediately tho't of Michelle & Irina. Then Stojko & Eldredge.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3