Exhibitions? | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Exhibitions?

Manitou

Medalist
That's a song "Snow", performed by Philippe Kirkorov (at the Gala, I suppose, Kirkorov's voice was accompagned by some children's voices as well).

Thank you! Now it's time to find it somewhere for download :)

KKonas

Medalist
I'm glad that NBC showed Pang/Tong because: (1) their program was beautiful and (2) they were the only Chinese skaters shown by NBC (and the only Chinese in the entire gala, IIRC).
So I understand why NBC chose them over the silver pair medalists from Russia (already well represented in NBC's gala coverage).
OTOH, Savchenko/Szolkowy were the only Germans in the entire gala, so they would have been an equally good choice.

I agree 100% that programming the Olympics is tough. Impossible to keep everyone happy.

To play devil's advocate:

I did not watch the entire story about the adopted U.S. disabled athlete returning to Russia -- but my hunch is that one of its major purposes was to generate interest for the Sochi Paralympics coming up in a few weeks. And how often do Paralympians get their moment in the sun? I would not begrudge them a nice chunk of prime time once every two years (during the corresponding Olympics right before, I mean).

Similarly, how often does biathlon ever get shown on American television? Are the Olympics its one little moment in the sun every four years, as I would assume? Of course, we at GS would love to see more televised skating, but it is not nearly as rare as televised biathlon, I would imagine. And totally off the top of my head, I would guess that biathlon is as "old" an event as figure skating??

I am a fellow member of the rabbit-ears crowd, and I do not feel "cheated." That is not to say that I would not have enjoyed more gala coverage.​

Before the Closing Ceremony tonight, NBC is showing the hour-long documentary "Nancy and Tonya."

So that slot was not available for the Paralympian story.

I, for one, am not happy with the "crumbs," NBC decided to show us. The Russian adoptee story could very well have been played during the Closing Ceremony and, in fact, NBC repeated it Sunday. And I am sure we could have saved the trip on the Trans-Siberian railway for the Closing Ceremony as well. Both of those segments took roughly 30-40 minutes and another 6-8 skating gala performances could have been shown.

dardar1126

On the Ice
I watched more of the Russian feed, and it was great to see Elena Radionova. She's such a little ham and loves to perform. Of the "Baby Russians," she's my favorite.

I agree..she has the jumps + the personality & performance ability = future champion! :popcorn:

BlackPack

Medalist
Thanks demarinis5 for the link to the gala, between the streaming yesterday and NBC's late night coverage (which ran over 10 mins), now I've seen most of the performances.

I really liked Yulia's program, but I want to see her connect to the music more. Watching her skate, she could've been skating to her SP or LP, IMO, there was no difference. If she can survive puberty, fix the flaws in her jumps and connect to her music more - she will be unstoppable.

Watching D/W, it seemed like they were trying to do a V/M style program. I thought they did well, but I still prefer V/M for romance on ice.

Yeah, it was a Mahler-wannabe program.

Did anyone swoon when they saw Lipnitskaia and Hanyu circling together in the Finale? They were so cute!:love:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I loved Daisuke's and Meryl's/Charlie's exhibitions -- wow. Need to look up Radionova's since she can be so charming. Normally I don't care that much for exhibitions but the performances I've been able to see have seemed really heartfelt.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just what was the deal with Adelina's program with the flags or whatever the hell they were in her exhibiton? A far cry from Oksana's simple exhibition skate to Camille Saint-Saëns The Swan which was breathtaking in it's elegance. Oksana was a swan on the ice just like her SP to Swan lake in Lillehammer. Now there was a skater from the old Soviet school with perfect positions lines and polish even at 16. Adelina should takes notes.

Manitou

Medalist
Just what was the deal with Adelina's program with the flags or whatever the hell they were in her exhibiton? A far cry from Oksana's simple exhibition skate to Camille Saint-Saëns The Swan which was breathtaking in it's elegance. Oksana was a swan on the ice just like her SP to Swan lake in Lillehammer. Now there was a skater from the old Soviet school with perfect positions lines and polish even at 16. Adelina should takes notes.

You had an option to turn off your television. I loved Adelina's gala performance! She almost tripped over the flags, though! And she is really a very beautiful and gracious girl with lots of positive energy. I love how she and Elena were going crazy at the Closing Ceremony. The world will belong to her from now on.

yuki

Final Flight
In case anyone is interested, this is Adelina's EX as performed earlier in the season, at TEB (no mistake with the flags): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uG2Rk-F5a0
I really like it; there may not be much of a concept behind using those flags, but they look so striking on the ice and she creates some interesting shapes with them.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Almost tripped? Ummm she was stuck on those flags forever...personally I thought that was the worst exhibition I can remember...but I hate flags...loved Gracie in the hat though...

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In case anyone is interested, this is Adelina's EX as performed earlier in the season, at TEB (no mistake with the flags): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uG2Rk-F5a0
I really like it; there may not be much of a concept behind using those flags, but they look so striking on the ice and she creates some interesting shapes with them.

Well here's her performance from today in Moscow and she did just fine as well!!! The flags are used as butterfly wings I believe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RLOx2eIs30

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well here's her performance from today in Moscow and she did just fine as well!!! The flags are used as butterfly wings I believe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RLOx2eIs30

I thought Adelina's gala at Russian Nationals was one of my favorite skates this year. I've been linking it all over the place since it came out. I guess taste is the debate these days.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I suppose it is too much to hope for that there will be any quality videos (from non-US networks) appearing on the web from the Gala?

Spinerette

On the Ice
You had an option to turn off your television. I loved Adelina's gala performance! She almost tripped over the flags, though! And she is really a very beautiful and gracious girl with lots of positive energy. I love how she and Elena were going crazy at the Closing Ceremony. The world will belong to her from now on.

Oksana Baiul is a legend. Baiul's grace and beauty on the ice could not be matched by Adelina no way not even close. I always thought Kerrigan won that night and should have won that night because Nancy skated so clean, however, Baiul always had the artistic talent.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Yeah, it was a Mahler-wannabe program.

Did anyone swoon when they saw Lipnitskaia and Hanyu circling together in the Finale? They were so cute!:love:

I agree, very cute. And I was so glad to see her Je T'aime Exhibition, it's so good. I know she'd already used it for two years but her performances of it last year were slightly off in the same way her growth spurt, hampered her jumps and the budding musicality she has shown that she can develop. I was thinking (hoping something like this would happen) that she would skate well and then switch either to a new exhibition because Kill Bill and Saber Dance were just not suitable for the Olympics or bring back this one. I'm glad I was right. And that new spin variation is unbelievable.

The first time I watched it I was overly critical because of everyone tearing her down and listing flaws but this time when I watched it, solely focusing on her skating and not other people's opinions, I loved it. Anytime I'm not actively thinking about about negative stuff her skating just mesmerizes to use another poster's word. And I like her musicality, the only thing that was off I think was that first jump, if it jumped to the words instead of before it would have been perfect.

I thought all the performance were marvelous. Yuna's dress was so lovely, the best I've seen. I laughed so hard at M-T/M's performance; it was even better than at Nats. Tessa & Scott were divine, but it's so sad that this is the last skate on Olympic/competitive ice.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't think it was caught on most cameras, but CBC showed a replay in a later broadcast. Towards the end, when the guys were making one last trip across the ice, Yuzuru almost butterfly jumped right into Patrick and I believe his blade may have swiped Patrick's shirt. :slink: Thankfully there didn't appear to be any damage.

Does anyone know what was going on with Patrick's shirt at the very end of the gala where everyone was skating around the rink? He was with Tessa and Scott and I don't know if a button or two fell off, but he was talking to them about it and wouldn't stop playing with it and looking down at it LOL. Part of me thinks that maybe Scott was playing around and ripped his shirt open because Patrick doesn't seem to be afraid of a deep V haha! Anyway, it was cute.

Yikes, the blade gave Patrick quite a slice at the Sochi gala. :eek: No joke.
#fbf to when I got kicked in the ribs during the Olympic Gala (for all of you who were wondering why I was fiddling with my costume).
http://instagram.com/p/liMAr-R1zU/ (photo from pchan31 posted today)​