Does the team event make someone eligible for the gala? | Golden Skate

Does the team event make someone eligible for the gala?

Amei

Record Breaker
So typically the top 3 finishers skate the gala but now with the team event you have skaters like Lipnitskaia, Gold and Wagner who won in the team event, finish off the individual podium. Are they going to skate in the gala/exhibition?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
So typically the top 3 finishers skate the gala but now with the team event you have skaters like Lipnitskaia, Gold and Wagner who won in the team event, finish off the individual podium. Are they going to skate in the gala/exhibition?

Gosh I'd really prefer not to see Jeremy in the gala on the basis of him having "earned" a medal. Gold probably will because I remember Surya coming in 4th in Lillihammer and doing an exo.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I don't think so. You would get skaters like Abbott, Osmond and Reynolds also performing in the gala, and I don't think they deserve a gala performance.

It'd be nice to see Mao and Takahashi in the gala.

Plushenko had better not perform... healthy enough for a gala but too injured to compete, wouldn't go over well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
from what I understand Dai was invited to skate in the exhibition...

I thought top 5 of each discipline skated?

lady_bee

Medalist

You must be right.
A Japanese media said that Hanyu, Machida, and Takahashi was doing practice for the exhibition, yesterday.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
How nice to be talking about skating again rather than the judging.............
I was also wondering about this.
It would be nice to see some of the team medalists in the gala.

Zarya

Rinkside
I so hope Mao will be able to perform in it! An encore one more time. :love: I hope she is proud of her efforts, they were brilliant. She has much to be proud of, and I am sad this will be the last skate for her.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Yulia skate and exhibition and be able to go out on a high note for herself after struggling in the single event. I think we will see her. I would be surprised if she wasn't included. It will hopefully help her get some positivity back, after succumbing to such enormous pressure

I'd like to see Plushenko too, but I agree it would not be a good idea with the back injury issues. Also maybe considering the negative press he could get for it if he managed.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Pang and Tong. I felt for them just missing the podium. I'm glad they found their own love story. Beautiful.

Rashela

On the Ice
I would love to see Sotnikova's Swam Lake exhibition just because of the fabulous costume :love:
So only figure skaters from this olympics or will Russian pull out some legends for exhibition? I wouldn't mind to see Yagudin one more time.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, I would hope so if only to see Jason!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Bring it on! Will the exhibition be shown today or tomorrow?

SAT:. 2/22 LIVE on NBCSN 12:30 P.M - 2:30 P.M. ET and repeated
on the same date on NBC Prime Time 8:00 P.M.-11:30 P.M. but I am sure they
will chack some of the skaters and show other sports as well.

Now that the last discipline in FS has been completed I am sure we will
see a list of skaters who will perform in the Gala.

eta: Mao is in the Gala. Here is a Practice video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTy_be0QAzs&feature=youtu.be

96skiluvr

On the Ice

Top 5 in each discipline skate, plus home country skaters (S/Z, B/L), plus anyone else they invite

flor87

Spectator
When is the gala? I can't find it anywhere. The channels here don't say anything. Does anyone have a link? :popcorn:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
SAT:. 2/22 LIVE on NBCSN 12:30 P.M - 2:30 P.M. ET and repeated
on the same date on NBC Prime Time 8:00 P.M.-11:30 P.M. but I am sure they
will chack some of the skaters and show other sports as well.

Programming note for U.S. viewers of the NBC network telecasts (not NBCSN):
Seems that gala coverage will be included in both the late-night and primetime shows on Saturday (Feb 22).
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...in-gold-medal-final-fri-feb-21-at-87c-on-nbc/

8 p.m. – 11:05 p.m. ET/PT
~ Men’s Alpine Skiing – Slalom Gold Medal Final
~ Four-Man Bobsled – Competition
~ Figure Skating – Gala
~ Men’s Snowboarding – Parallel Slalom Gold Medal Final
~ Men’s Speed Skating – Team Pursuit Gold Medal Final
~ Women’s Speed Skating – Team Pursuit Gold Medal Final​

Midnight – 1 a.m. ET/PT
~ Figure Skating – Gala​

ETA:

Oh, I would hope so if only to see Jason!

Seems that Jason will not skate in the gala.

@jasonbskates
Today marks the last time I'll be on the ice in Sochi! So many unforgettable memories...Enjoyed every minute of it!! pic.twitter.com/CMCzYmfed0
1:59 AM - 21 Feb 2014
https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/436802379531694080

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Cross-posting from another gala thread:

Most of the Olympic gala line-up (in order) is posted here:

Tip o' the hat to pani at FSU.​

ETA:

Top five from the individual competitions for each discipline + Daisuke Takahashi + Mao Asada. (Placements from the team event do not confer eligibility, it seems.)
Plus a few Russian non-Olympians, such as Radionova and Stepanova/Bukin.​