My Open letter To Competitive Figure Skaters...... | Golden Skate

My Open letter To Competitive Figure Skaters......

PullingForSasha

Rinkside
Country
United-States
After seeing the 2014 Olympic Figure Skating Competition, there is something that I have to say: From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank all of you for making this world a more beautiful, better place.

When you take the ice, it is just you and IT, which might as well be extremely slippery concrete.

For all of the missed proms, and the parties, and the many times where you were just dying to be at that sleepover, or the latest hit film, which everybody else is talking about, but no, not you. You had to get to bed early, to get up early for your next early date with the rink before you even go to school EARLY that day.

Then there are the Dozens of bruises over the years, with some being the size of a pancake. I thank you for the torn muscles, the ripped ligaments, the possible broken bones, and the nearly constant pain that you endure, and are still in by the time you get to school. When you get there you are constantly reminded by adults, some of them who may be very mediocre at their job, that it is hard work and discipline that will make you a success in life. “If you fall, get up!” We know that you already know that. I thank you for not letting the teacher see you roll your eyes upon hearing it, because you know that would hurt their feelings. At the start of that class, you have already been up for at least three hours longer than them.

Then there is that competition, where your hopes are high, you practice for it like no other, you do everything right, your mind is right, your new costume is beautiful, and you take to the ice......and it just did not happen for you that night. When you look at your parents afterward, tired and heartbroken, you are also looking for a hint of that one enigmatic emotion which is a complete world ender for you: Disappointment. Have no fear if you pick up on that. If you see just a glimmer of that look, keep in mind one thing: You’re parents love you VERY MUCH, or they would not ever have done any of it for you in the first place.

So there it is...... My heartfelt, feeling based, biased, amateur essay about a group of people who are very eclectic, very unique, and are very, VERY Brave.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
After seeing the 2014 Olympic Figure Skating Competition, there is something that I have to say: From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank all of you for making this world a more beautiful, better place.

When you take the ice, it is just you and IT, which might as well be extremely slippery concrete.

For all of the missed proms, and the parties, and the many times where you were just dying to be at that sleepover, or the latest hit film, which everybody else is talking about, but no, not you. You had to get to bed early, to get up early for your next early date with the rink before you even go to school EARLY that day.

Then there are the Dozens of bruises over the years, with some being the size of a pancake. I thank you for the torn muscles, the ripped ligaments, the possible broken bones, and the nearly constant pain that you endure, and are still in by the time you get to school. When you get there you are constantly reminded by adults, some of them who may be very mediocre at their job, that it is hard work and discipline that will make you a success in life. “If you fall, get up!” We know that you already know that. I thank you for not letting the teacher see you roll your eyes upon hearing it, because you know that would hurt their feelings. At the start of that class, you have already been up for at least three hours longer than them.

Then there is that competition, where your hopes are high, you practice for it like no other, you do everything right, your mind is right, your new costume is beautiful, and you take to the ice......and it just did not happen for you that night. When you look at your parents afterward, tired and heartbroken, you are also looking for a hint of that one enigmatic emotion which is a complete world ender for you: Disappointment. Have no fear if you pick up on that. If you see just a glimmer of that look, keep in mind one thing: You’re parents love you VERY MUCH, or they would not ever have done any of it for you in the first place.

So there it is...... My heartfelt, feeling based, biased, amateur essay about a group of people who are very eclectic, very unique, and are very, VERY Brave.

What a sweetheart you are! Thank you!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a beautiful, thoughtful letter. I hope this is a letter you can share directly with all figure skaters! :agree: