How Japanese people received Mao's skating at Sochi | Golden Skate

How Japanese people received Mao's skating at Sochi

cinnamon

On the Ice
Here is an article written by Hirono Aoshima right after ladies' SP
http://astand.asahi.com/magazine/wr...000005.html?iref=webronza?iref=com_fbox_d2_03

She says women's short program of Sochi Olympics was something that only Mao Asada was fighting in a different era. Unlike boys, current girls top skaters are not required to execute quads or 3A. Their competition is focused on how to execute clean 3-3s and to show clean programs as much as reducing mistakes.
They don't have to spend extra time on quads in training as men do, nor have mental burden of success in quads at competitions. They can spend time for basic skating practice and pay attention to more than jumps in the program. This is the field where athletes other than Asada are fighting.

And when the attitude of Asada (pursuing her 3A) is successful, it is fine. When it's not, people start to think it is a wrong approach and ask why Mao insists on it.
Then the article shows, in the beginning when Mao and Coach Sato got together, Mr. Sato tried to make a change to focus on other elements in her skating, but Mao couldn't leave her 3A. Aoshima writes probably this is something unique in Japanese figure skating tradition to pursue big jumps, as girls' 3A and 4S. Actually there are young skaters trying on them now and people really like to hear that.

Interesting reactions are that Japan's former Prime Minister Mori said, "That girl always falls at critical moments." Lots of people including politicians reacted to this. But the good one was from a restaurant owner woman (where Mao is used to go to eat at). She said, "Then Mr. Mori should go out and try to skate instead of her."

Anyway people in Japan love Mao no matter what. And I think Mao showed her way finally and clearly this time. She has been fighting in her own battle field all by herself till now, and in her tears of relief after LP we could see it and understand it more than before.

At that moment, I really start to miss her skating, thinking if she really (I think she will) quits competing. (I admit I have never been her fan.)

luckykid

On the Ice
I think there was an interview where Mao said she insists on doing the 3A because of something her mother said/did. I'm glad that she did land it cleanly once.

I think she really would quit. She has said that she has no regrets anymore, and according to the aforementioned interview, her motivation to continue was something about the 3A, not so much the gold medal. Now that she has done a performance with 6 different triples, I think she's done.

I will miss her skating too. I hope she gets to perform in the gala.

Franklin99

Medalist
I think there was an interview where Mao said she insists on doing the 3A because of something her mother said/did. I'm glad that she did land it cleanly once.

I think she really would quit. She has said that she has no regrets anymore, and according to the aforementioned interview, her motivation to continue was something about the 3A, not so much the gold medal. Now that she has done a performance with 6 different triples, I think she's done.

I will miss her skating too. I hope she gets to perform in the gala.

It was announced a few hours ago that Mao was invited to participate in the gala...and she will compete at Worlds in Japan next month.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I am happy abot the support Mao gets! She fight it to the end, was a really joy to see her!

Plushenko twitter: Mao - you was great, special thanks for Axel 3,5! You're real fighter!! #Sochi2014

Other skaters had also twitter messages for her.

Regardless what she will do at worlds, she can say goodbye to the amateur skating with a lot of pride.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Im so happy that Mao got the 3A im the free skate. What a personal victory for her!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Mao's free skate was one of the highlights of the ladies event for me. She is a great role model for young girls world wide.