Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The art, the flow, the grace is gone

Hybrid View

The art, the flow, the grace is gone

I am sorry but Adelina over Yuna just proves that what most of us cherish and love about figure skating is over. Done. It is all about racking up points. You do not have to be particular graceful, artistic or have great edges. You just have to do ridiculous spins and jumps and boom, you won the gold.

The group I watched skating with tonight COULD NOT BELIEVE Adelina won. They were laughing at how ridiculous it was. She has zero polish, zero grace and absolutely no flow over the ice. It is as if she just went out and did her chores for the day, very workmanlike and rough.
    For that to beat Yuna or Carolina is disgusting and sad.
    This is a very bleak road that this beautiful sport is taking.

Rinkside
    I totally agree ... To give de OGM to a girl with such low level of rafinament who waves his hand to the public as she was doing spirals ....I mean Russian inflation and all ... but this is all gone to far IMO.

Custom Title
    l want you remind you sore losers this is Olympics. And Olympics is not about shmartistry, but about sports, athleticism and energy. Please, fund your own Artistic Games and you will be rewarding grace and art. But not here.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    l want you remind you sore losers this is Olympics. And Olympics is not about shmartistry, but about sports, athleticism and energy. Please, fund your own Artistic Games and you will be rewarding grace and art. But not here.
    Part of judging figure skating is choreography and interpretation. If you have a problem with that then petition for it to be removed as an Olympic sport.

Moreover, the original poster also was talking about edge quality. Skating is also about blade control and it's most definitely an athletic aspect. After having analyzed the performances as much as possible, I've got to say the judging of the step sequences was crap. Sotnikova's step sequence had rough edges all the way through it and I saw nothing wrong in Yu-Na Kim's LP footwork sequence that should drop it to a Level 3. In the SP, yes, she made some edge mistakes that deservedly dropped the level, but in the LP her sequence hit the requirements and was executed FAR better than Sotnikova's.

Combine that with bad PCS judging and Sotnikova not being called for underrotation on her 3Lutz+3Toe< combo (Sotnikova has NEVER done this combo fully rotated in her entire career; she's always had a technique issue on the toeloop off the landing of the lutz and tried to do 3Lutz+3Loop in the past instead) and I'm officially upset with this result. It definitely still should have been pretty close, but she was massively held up and Yu-Na deserved it in the end; if Yu-Na's PCS were even just 2.5 points higher than Sotnikova's, that would be enough in my book. The fact that Yu-Na only got 0.09 more in PCS is an outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Part of judging figure skating is choreography and interpretation. If you have a problem with that then petition for it to be removed as an Olympic sport.

Moreover, the original poster also was talking about edge quality. Skating is also about blade control and it's most definitely an athletic aspect. After having analyzed the performances as much as possible, I've got to say the judging of the step sequences was crap. Sotnikova's step sequence had rough edges all the way through it and I saw nothing wrong in Yu-Na Kim's LP footwork sequence that should drop it to a Level 3. In the SP, yes, she made some edge mistakes that deservedly dropped the level, but in the LP her sequence hit the requirements and was executed FAR better than Sotnikova's.

Combine that with bad PCS judging and Sotnikova not being called for underrotation on her 3Lutz+3Toe< combo (Sotnikova has NEVER done this combo fully rotated in her entire career; she's always had a technique issue on the toeloop off the landing of the lutz and tried to do 3Lutz+3Loop in the past instead) and I'm officially upset with this result. It definitely still should have been pretty close, but she was massively held up and Yu-Na deserved it in the end; if Yu-Na's PCS were even just 2.5 points higher than Sotnikova's, that would be enough in my book. The fact that Yu-Na only got 0.09 more in PCS is an outrage.
    Wow, and I know you're not a big fan of Yuna, so this actually helps a lot and carries a lot of objectivity. Thanks for your input.

Thankfully, two mature ladies with the whole package made the podium!

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    The beauty, fluidity, grace, are the upper state of athleticism. Therefore, efficiency is always beautiful. This only can occur when the athlete absolutely dominates the technical side, automatically.

But, an athlete who can just do what to do ... not has place for aesthetics.

Because this, Yuna is aesthetics and Adelina is not.

Custom Title
    To me, seeing technical proficiency and difficulty performed is beautiful to watch. Artistry is artistry, but even an exceptionally executed technical skate should still be appreciated even if it is devoid of artistry. Just like many artistic skates without the high difficulty or errors can also be appreciated.

Custom Title
    I find it hilarious that all of a sudden Adelina doesn't have an artistic bone in her body when she has generally receive PCS scores just behind the top 3 all season, along with Akiko and Ashley when they have skated well. Somehow coming close to matching Yuna on PCS now makes her a sloppy, third tier skater.

Custom Title
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    To me, seeing technical proficiency and difficulty performed is beautiful to watch. Artistry is artistry, but even an exceptionally executed technical skate should still be appreciated even if it is devoid of artistry. Just like many artistic skates without the high difficulty or errors can also be appreciated.
    Couldn't agree more

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgieFan View Post
    The beauty, fluidity, grace, are the upper state of athleticism. Therefore, efficiency is always beautiful. This only can occur when the athlete absolutely dominates the technical side, automatically.

But, an athlete who can just do what to do ... not has place for aesthetics.

Because this, Yuna is aesthetics and Adelina is not.
    No they aren't, beauty is always, to a degree, a genetic accident. A skater with lean, slender legs and arms will always create more attractive lines on the ice. If a lady skater is on the short and stocky, muscular side, she will never have beautiful lines in arabesques and bielman spins no matter how hard she tries. She will also never be successful in the lyrical ballerina mold - a current preferred aesthetics of the sport. This is the sport that privileges the beautiful and the slender. This doesn't mean a stocky, muscular skater cannot score the most points under the rules currently in effect. That just means she won't look good while doing it, and the rulebook says it's OK.

Furthermore, in arabesques, for instance, beauty has nothing to do with efficiency. Kim can do a highly efficient arabesque spiral as far as gliding goes; but the lack of amplitude (genetic, to a degree) and turnout in her toe (negligence) make this move unsightly in her rendition.

Custom Title
    Nonsense. Yuna Kim's body isn't exactly the most beautiful or beneficial to skating. She has achieved those lines through endless hours of practice and learning. And even then there are people who criticize her for her imperfect lines. (like yourself) You can easily check out Yuna Kim's "body lines" during her junior years. Or watch Zijun Li's skating tell me she need not improve on postures or moves because she's slender and cute.

It's not like Adelina's is ugly or anything. She has a beautiful body many girls would die for.

Custom Title
    After Evan and now Adelina, you would think coaches would catch on to the formula the IJS promotes:

--Load that program up, baby. Not "never a dull moment," but "never a moment without something busybusybusy going on." The days of elegant simplicity are ovuh--welcome to the days of wretched excess!

--Stick a lot of difficult jumps in the second half. What do you think that bonus is for anyway?

--Choreography? We don't need no stinkin' choreography. Just make it look busybusybusy. And complicated. We like complicated steps. Especially if we can fool ourselves into believing they look "balletic."

--Music? Oh yeah. You should have some. We're not all that fussed about it, to tell the truth.

--Interpretation? If you make it busy enough, we'll be sure to think you're interpreting, well, something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KwanIsALegand View Post
    I am sorry but Adelina over Yuna just proves that what most of us cherish and love about figure skating is over. Done. It is all about racking up points. You do not have to be particular graceful, artistic or have great edges. You just have to do ridiculous spins and jumps and boom, you won the gold.

The group I watched skating with tonight COULD NOT BELIEVE Adelina won. They were laughing at how ridiculous it was. She has zero polish, zero grace and absolutely no flow over the ice. It is as if she just went out and did her chores for the day, very workmanlike and rough.
    For that to beat Yuna or Carolina is disgusting and sad.
    This is a very bleak road that this beautiful sport is taking.
    Well, frankly this is not exactly new. Given the current system, I do not have a problem with this result. And as a staunch supporter of 6.0, I really don't think the result would have been different. Tara over Michelle anyone? I'm not seeing this big conspiracy, and I favor Yuna style skating.

No, I don't think that "the art, the flow and the grace is gone": we got to watch three incredibly beautiful programs from three incredibly mature and refined skaters (Mao, Caro and Yu-Na) yesterday, the only thing that is really "gone" (well, it didn't exist even before yesterday ) is the correct evaluation of that strange and misterious thing called "PCS"
    (And, one thing that I have to say in favor of Adelina: I have seen her live twice, and her SS and ice coverage are really wonderful, but her CH and IN are nowhere near Caro's and Yu-Na's)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast