The art, the flow, the grace is gone | Page 8 | Golden Skate

The art, the flow, the grace is gone

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
At least you are being honest about it without making up excuses. I can respect that. To be perfectly honest, however, if you truly don't care how many of us don't think like yourself you probably have not bothered making a post. I know that because I have lots of things that I do not care about.

Oops, sorry for the late reply. But yes, I did mean what I wrote. In the sense of "I don't care how many people are saying that Kim is the more graceful and artistic skater, I still liked Sotnikova better in this particular performance". BTW thanks for being civil. ;)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Last year there was Daisuke Takahashi, Jason Brown, Mao Asada, Yuna Kim, Julia, Hanyu, Fernandez and Chan. Each of these skaters has performed at various times this year with flow or art or grace.
So, at least to me, it is not gone at all.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I would add Machida to that list. He really "feels" his music and I love his expressiveness. I think he could be like another Takahashi if he tries more demanding/explorative choreography.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
With Mao, Carolina and Akiko out of the line up, I do think there will be a decline in that type of "art" in the sport. Yu-Na is included in this list too, but the fact is she's been more absent than present this past quad which is why artistry was pushed to the forefront of the sport. Yu-Na's absence resulted in a sort of technical regression among the veterans BUT it did give way to much more refined, artistic, elegant and mature skating and that was the deciding factor in a number of competitions.

With all of the top veterans departing, the field is a bit more open for the newer girls who have a style that isn't nearly as refined/mature/deep as the ones who are leaving. That's not to say they won't get there eventually, but as of now I'd say Ashley Wagner is the only veteran remaining who has that type of artistic packaging (presence, feel for the music, performance ability, great interpretation).

I'm feeling like this quad is going to be more focused on the technical side of the sport than the artistic. The fact that the judges regularly throw out 68+ PCS for skaters like Julia, Adelina and Gracie is proof that the PCS isn't carrying as much weight or distinction as it used to. It will be a different type of artistry, that's for sure but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. There are many different kinds of "art" and it's all subjective. There are no well-defined parameters for what constitutes it which is why it's so varied.

I prefer skaters like Mao, Carolina, Akiko and Yu-Na but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy skaters like Adelina, Elena or Julia. They all have different styles and different strengths and I'm fine with that. IMO, it'd be a much more beautiful sport if every skater was a Mao, Carolina, Yu-Na or Akiko...but they aren't, and that's okay.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
^Wow, your definition of grace is really all over the place.

In what way, exactly? I know people won't agree with my four examples. But I suppose that's exactly my point. While others may not see grace (although I would say T&S and SL are the best overall) I do see grace and flow in some skaters that others don't and vice versa.

erasona

Rinkside
I prefer skaters like Mao, Carolina, Akiko and Yu-Na

I like how you mentioned Akiko. I never really knew of her, but when I explored her programs more, it really made me sad that she is retiring. Her performances of "O" and "Phantom of the Opera" really made time stand still for me. Very gifted skater. (Of course the others you mentioned as well)

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I like how you mentioned Akiko. I never really knew of her, but when I explored her programs more, it really made me sad that she is retiring. Her performances of "O" and "Phantom of the Opera" really made time stand still for me. Very gifted skater. (Of course the others you mentioned as well)

I adore Akiko and I'm going to miss her so much. I do hope she sticks around the sport though. She could be a performance coach and teach skaters how to connect with their music and the audience. That was definitely her gift.

I'm posting an adoration post on my blog about Akiko some time next week. I posted my one for Yu-Na earlier today.

Tompson

Rinkside
I adore Akiko and I'm going to miss her so much. I do hope she sticks around the sport though. She could be a performance coach and teach skaters how to connect with their music and the audience. That was definitely her gift.

I'm posting an adoration post on my blog about Akiko some time next week. I posted my one for Yu-Na earlier today.

It's always a joy to see your posts:clap: