Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: The art, the flow, the grace is gone

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Michelle had beautiful lines--right down to her fingertips.
    From a dance perspective?

Custom Title
    All those Vera Wangs she wore..

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usethis2 View Post
    All those Vera Wangs she wore..
    I always liked the Veras a lot. More to the point, they did suit Kerrigan's style very well.

Custom Title
    tbh I'm not a huge fan of Vera Wang's stuff, but she really is the only high fashion mogul who is consistently doing skating dresses. Actually, the last time I even liked a Vera Wang red carpet dress was like Michelle Williams in 2005.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    tbh I'm not a huge fan of Vera Wang's stuff, but she really is the only high fashion mogul who is consistently doing skating dresses. Actually, the last time I even liked a Vera Wang red carpet dress was like Michelle Williams in 2005.
    Maybe someone should start another skating dress/fashion thread...

Wang is unique in that she's the only high fashion designer out there who actually has a skating background. Her simple, uncluttered looks always appeal to me but understatement isn't everyone's cup of tea! I didn't know that she was still designing costumes -- hadn't heard much about her recently, although haven't exactly been focused on that, either.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by kacalh03 View Post
    If Yuna had went in the last group and skated her short program, her lead would have been a lot larger which may have been enough to win again.
    I agree that Yuna skating so early in the SP program led to her receiving lower scores. I also believe that Adelina received a higher score that she should have in the SP with her junior level jump combination.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by winky97 View Post
    I agree that Yuna skating so early in the SP program led to her receiving lower scores. I also believe that Adelina received a higher score that she should have in the SP with her junior level jump combination.
    Stop insulting juniors. Our current junior champion can do 3Lz-3T and Adelina herself was doing a fully rotated 3Lz-3Lo in her junior days.

Custom Title
    Adelina has other 3-3s too, so it's just a little baffling that she opted for the easiest in the SP.

Adelina has other 3-3s too, so it's just a little baffling that she opted for the easiest in the SP.
    ehh... what i learned from sochi is that you can still go for an easy 3-3 and managed to score as high with virtually a tie with 2 skaters who did a harder 3-3..

Custard Title
    It's not baffling at all.

3Lz-3Lo is a hugely difficult combination and often gets unfairly downgraded. That's also why she chickened out on it in the Sochi LP. She didn't personally pay the bribes or make the backroom deals herself, so she didn't know if she'd get 3Lz-3Lo ratified.
    Her 3Lz-3T is always flutzed and underrotated.
    She does not start 3-3 combinations with 3F for obvious historical reasons.
    I have not heard of her ever doing 3Lo-3 or 3S-3 combinations.

So she did 3T-3T, because it is relatively easy to do a big, impressive-looking 3T-3T combination for great GOE, and GOE for all the triples T through Lz is the same.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    her marks were gifts but sort of evens out sarah hughes beating Irina slutskya, one of the greatest ever
    Sarah Hughes used to be number 1 on my list of worst OGM ever, until Adelina unseeded her this year. I remember when Sarah won and as I recall, Irina made errors that justified Sarah being awarded the OGM over her. Adelina "winning" was just ridiculous.

Tripping on the Podium
    Oh, I still think Sarah Hughes is the worst ever. At least Adelina can fully rotate those triples! Adelina has the talent to be truly extraordinary, and she probably has more good years in her than Sarah Hughes did. Still, it's hard to argue against Sarah's win considering the circumstances and the scoring system. Irina skated poorly and Michelle fell, which was an unforgivable sin under 6.0. There was real pressure to give the win to the cleanest skate thanks to the pairs fiasco. Adelina's gold is suspect at best.

Custom Title
    Adelina easily had a better performance than Hughes but in the context of the competitions, it's way sketchier that Adelina won over clean Yuna and Carolina than Hughes who beat sloppy performances.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Stop insulting juniors. Our current junior champion can do 3Lz-3T and Adelina herself was doing a fully rotated 3Lz-3Lo in her junior days.
    Adelina's jump combination of the 3T 3T in the SP is one of the easiest combination jumps out there and you generally see that jump combination in the junior level. The fact that some junior level skaters can do more complicated jump combinations does not change the fact that Adelina's SP combination jump was a junior level. If you want to consider it an insult for juniors I can't do anything about that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by winky97 View Post
    Adelina's jump combination of the 3T 3T in the SP is one of the easiest combination jumps out there and you generally see that jump combination in the junior level. The fact that some junior level skaters can do more complicated jump combinations does not change the fact that Adelina's SP combination jump was a junior level. If you want to consider it an insult for juniors I can't do anything about that.
    The 3T-3T may be the easiest 3-3, but it is still a difficult combination. It is scored higher in base point than any 3-2 combination other than a 3Axel-2 combo (I think). It is not "junior level" any more than the quad-toe is junior level for the men.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast