Petition to investigate judging gets record signings, makes Wall Street Journal headline | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Petition to investigate judging gets record signings, makes Wall Street Journal headline

Status
Not open for further replies.

enlight78

Medalist
May be you should read the protocols and try to understand the difference in the score before saying it is not right? I love that - let;s give the medal by signing a petition or by vote of fans, who has the most, then this athlete wins...

I did, maybe you should

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
We gave the judges a chance to judge fairly , now we have clear evidence they didn't

Not liking the result is evidence of unfair judging? A lot of people find this decision not controversial. Yahoo Sports says 90% of the petition signers are from South Korea so the decision isn't that controversial anywhere else.

koheikun90

On the Ice
i signed it to ask why Sotnikova's and Lipnitskaya's PCS improved 18+ points in a span of a month. Im still confused. I dont think their skating improved that drastically. I have been a skater and a hard core fan since I was 8 years old and Im not Korean. This is the most baffling competition result I have ever seen.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Thing is if the Olympics were in South Korea, Yuna would have won hands down. If they would have been in Japan, I don't think Mao, even with her terrible short program, would not have scored so low and therefore would have still been in the hunt for a medal. What's tiresome about figure skating is that judging favors the figure skaters where the events are being held. I wonder why this is?

ericka141

On the Ice
i signed it to ask why Sotnikova's and Lipnitskaya's PCS improved 18+ points in a span of a month. Im still confused. I dont think their skating improved that drastically. I have been a skater and a hard core fan since I was 8 years old and Im not Korean. This is the most baffling competition result I have ever seen.

This is exactly it. If Sotnikova had won by a tiny margin then fine. But the fact that she won by at least 5 points, with a score that was over 50 higher than her personal bests achieved a few months ago- that's just not realistic. You just cannot improve that much in a few months. 50 extra points takes a lot of time to rack up. As well as the fact that she scored less than a point away from Yuna's WR with a non-perfect performance. To get that close to a WR, you HAVE to be PERFECT.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
Not liking the result is evidence of unfair judging? A lot of people find this decision not controversial. Yahoo Sports says 90% of the petition signers are from South Korea so the decision isn't that controversial anywhere else.
I don't understand. How does the fact that 90% of the signatories are from South Korea make the issue any less relevant and urgent, and the complaint less valid? Would a similar petition in favor of a US athlete be dismissed on the ground that 90% of signatories are from US? Please tell me who do you think should sign this petition? Philippinos? Canadians?:confused:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Please tell me who do you think should sign this petition? Philippinos? Canadians?:confused:

No one.

Adelina, not YuNa Kim, has melted the hearts of the people who were there in the audience, including Phil Hersh, Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir, and the judges. A relatively small name took the crown from the queen. Great story!

lavender

Record Breaker
They think it's just her fans but I'm not necessarily a fan. This is why I felt that Carolina and Mao names and the fact that they were scored behind Adelina should be mentioned. Mao's pcs score should specifically have been included. I also would have mentioned Julia being ahead of Ashley. Now it's too late and they are not going to do anything about these unfair, annonymous judges because they think it's just Kim fans.

I haven't read anything where Phil agree with the score. Scott, Browning, Wylie understood the TES but not the components. They are still perplexed on that one.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
That's insane.

Kevin VDP said in his commentating (I think during ice dance) that if figure skating was involved in another judging scandal, the IOC would kick it out of the Olympics. I really doubt that is what figure skating fans hope to achieve with this.

Actually at this point I hope it IS kicked out of the Olympics. That is the only way to force the sport to clean up its act. One country buying off all the gold medals at Olympics in home country is simply inexcusable.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
They think it's just her fans but I'm not necessarily a fan. This is why I felt that Carolina and Mao names and the fact that they were scored behind Adelina should be mentioned. Mao's pcs score should specifically have been included. I also would have mentioned Julia being ahead of Ashley. Now it's too late and they are not going to do anything about these unfair, annonymous judges because they think it's just Kim fans.

I haven't read anything where Phil agree with the score. Scott, Browning, Wylie understood the TES but not the components. They are still perplexed on that one.
You are absolutely right! Is it too late though? I signed it and got immediately an email from that Justice Seeker person. Maybe I can write back to suggest this....

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Thing is if the Olympics were in South Korea, Yuna would have won hands down. If they would have been in Japan, I don't think Mao, even with her terrible short program, would not have scored so low and therefore would have still been in the hunt for a medal. What's tiresome about figure skating is that judging favors the figure skaters where the events are being held. I wonder why this is?

Yes if it was in South Korea Yu Na would have won by 15 points over Kostner (Sotnikova might have been a distant 3rd if lucky). If it were in Italy Kostner would have won by atleast 5 points over Yu Na, with Sotnikova atleast 15 points back of Kostner's winning score probably. If it were in Japan Mao would have been about 6th in the short and pulled up to a medal, maybe gold, with her great long program. If it were in none of those skaters countrie the final results would have been Kim, Kostner, Sotnikova or Mao, but with lower points margin. Most everyone would agree with all this, even those very very scant few defending Sotnikova's win, and the fact all this is true proves why figure skating has become such a farce. In any real sport location doesnt matter, it is meaningless. Had the hockey game between Russia and Finland been judged Russia would have won I am sure, but unfortunately for them there were no judges to save them.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
They think it's just her fans but I'm not necessarily a fan. This is why I felt that Carolina and Mao names and the fact that they were scored behind Adelina should be mentioned.

Yes as there is no doubt whatsoever that all of Asada, Kostner and Kim should have beaten Sotnikova by a large margin in the LP. I actually would have had them in that exact order in the LP- Asada, Kostner, and Kim (although I waver on Asada vs Kostner). Some might disagree on me putting Kim only 3rd, but I think everyone agrees on Sotnikova being a distant 3rd in the short and 4th in the long, except the Russians that is.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
This thread needs to be transferred to conspiracy thread along with all the other bellyaching, whinging and moaning Yuna fan threads. These people (the same old usual suspects - many using multiple pseuds) should confine there whinging to the one thread and should not be swamping The Edge section with multiple threads on the same theme. Sanctions required if they persist

Most of us complaining are not even fans of Yu Na Kim. I am certainly not, I have been picked apart by several posters for dissing her skating in comparision to Mao and even called a Yu Na basher by several of what you deem her so called bots. However fair is fair. You stand on your holy ground but get real, we all know if Mao had skated a clean short and done that same long and ever dared to be placed below Sotnikova you probably would have opened 100 threads on it.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
No one.

Adelina, not YuNa Kim, has melted the hearts of the people who were there in the audience, including Phil Hersh, Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir, and the judges. A relatively small name took the crown from the queen. Great story!

Really? http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...re-skating-gold-medal-20140220,0,863440.story

But even they had questions about the judging, which smelled of home cooking to sate a roaring Russian crowd at the Iceberg Skating Palace.

Sotnikova, 17, ninth in last year’s world championships, became her country’s first Olympic women’s singles champion by 5.48 points over Kim. The Russian’s combination of big jumps, speed and power made the case for building that margin in the technical marks, and it led the judges to get carried away so she didn’t lose it on the component scores.

Having expressed her gratitude to the judges for the scores that left her just .28 behind Kim after the short program, Sotnikova might think of sending caviar and champagne for their continued generosity in the free skate.

Yeah, Phil Hersh is "impressed" alright.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Most of us complaining are not even fans of Yu Na Kim. I am certainly not, I have been picked apart by several posters for dissing her skating in comparision to Mao and even called a Yu Na basher by several of what you deem her so called bots. However fair is fair. You stand on your holy ground but get real, we all know if Mao had skated a clean short and done that same long and ever dared to be placed below Sotnikova you probably would have opened 100 threads on it.

I'm VERY curious to know what would've happened if Asada skated well in her SP. I wonder how they would've juggled the scores around then.

And please guys, if Mao Asada was on the receiving end of this judging, all her fans would be in a uproar and the Japanese Skating Federation would've NOT been pleased.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I'm VERY curious to know what would've happened if Asada skated well in her SP. I wonder how they would've juggled the scores around then.

And please guys, if Mao Asada was on the receiving end of this judging, all her fans would be in a uproar and the Japanese Skating Federation would've NOT been pleased.

The Japanese federation is far more powerful. Had Sotnikova won over Mao skating as she did in the LP had she done a clean short, the ISU would have had to overrule the results completely or else they would lose many millions from Japan (even more than what Russia payed them to fix the entire figure skating competition here) in the future.

Dots

Final Flight
Have you read most of the comments on the change.org petition? They are 90% from Koreans and they give such illuminating reasons as "because Queen Yuna is the best". Ugh.

I too believe Adelina should have gotten the bronze rather than gold, but this is all kinds of silly.

Are you sure about that? I'm afraid to go look... lol

but how embarrassing either way. :eek::

Status
Not open for further replies.